Hunting & Daily Driving Truck?

Nissan Frontiers are a good value for what you get. Tacoma's are nicer but cost more (creature comforts, the powertrain in both are gtg). Having a locker is nice too.
That's kinda what I thought too. Tacomas hold their value so well that it's absurd. I know they're bulletproof but it's almost ridiculous. It's probably a better deal to buy one that's a year or two old. Nissan Frontiers seem like really great trucks.

You are 100% correct about GM. I had a 2007 Yukon XL with the 5.3 engine. It started to use 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles once i hit 36k. I brought it in a bunch of times to the dealer and they said GM says that was normal oil consumption. Which is complete BS! The 2007 -2009 models were so bad that GM doesn't offer a replacement crate engine for those years. I traded it in in 2016 for my 2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab and couldn't be happier with my truck. I get 16-17 mpg local. I just did a 4300 mile trip from NJ to Colorado and back for an elk hunt and averaged 21.3 mpg and have gotten up to 25 mpg on flatter slower speed trips. The best the Yukon ever got hwy was 18 and usually 14.5 local.

My experience with GM was pretty similar. Started burning oil and exceeded their "threshold" which is 1QT per 1,000 miles. Mine was burning about 1.5QTs. They did some warranty work to decarbonize the top end and had me do another round of oil consumption tests. During the last test that GM made me do, my warranty expired. Once the test was finished, the consumption had, once again, exceeded their threshold. This would have resulted in a new motor, but GM said they would only cover 25% of the cost since I was no longer under warranty. I argued that it was a pre-existing condition and it should be covered since GM was the one that made me do another test. The dealerships agreed with me, but GM wouldn't do anything about it. The truck still ran great, but I just needed to add some oil every now and then and maybe change a fouled plug every other year or two. Either way, I'm done with GM.

Back