Hunting elk in the eastern US

Does anyone have experience hunting elk in eastern states? It’s such a limited opportunity that there isn’t much written about tactics for it. I’m wondering how it differs from hunting in western states, and if there are any significant differences in elk behavior.

fatlander

WKR
They’re hobby herds. Tags are so limited that the hunts are basically slam dunks. There’s no way I wouldn’t hire an outfitter if you draw a bull tag. The odds are like hitting the lottery; once in 50 lifetimes. I’d make sure I stacked every advantage I could to kill a giant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
i deer hunt a lot where the elk are in arkansas and rarely see them during deer season. if you draw
They’re hobby herds. Tags are so limited that the hunts are basically slam dunks. There’s no way I wouldn’t hire an outfitter if you draw a bull tag. The odds are like hitting the lottery; once in 50 lifetimes. I’d make sure I stacked every advantage I could to kill a giant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
do your research. if you do the research, it is a slam dunk. if not, you will only see them in the viewing hay field.

the tactics are to find which hay field they are grazing and get permission.
i assume the rules have not changed in that you must have a ranger with you and you must have a partner to help with the meat.

In PA most elk are killed within 1/4 mile of fields or food plots. There are many areas in the elk range that are void of elk. If you focus your scouting around fields and focus on hunting there success is pretty good.