Hunting near the Mexico border

boom

WKR
last year, we revisited a buddies ranch in NM. right along the border.

we got stopped by border patrol daily. they would buzz out camp nightly with trucks and ATV's. we found backpacks and water stashes everywhere. i wasnt that worried. maybe our food and beer might get raided,but i never felt unsafe. going back this year as well!!

Gr8bawana

WKR
Be on the lookout for "Muslim prayer rugs" that some here claim they have found that are just Mexican Serapes left behind.

th (5).jpg

Would definitely be unnerving to come across gun toting drug mules. Luckily the Canadian border jumpers only carry jugs of maple syrup and hockey sticks up in my neck of the woods. In all seriousness I would try and hunt with another to cover my six when dealing with risks like that. Safety first.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
Smugglers are getting better armed and getting more brazen all the time. I have seen some after the drops actually walking down the highway waiting to get picked up by the border patrol for a free ride home.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
LOL....The free ride home is no joke. They will wave down the BP for a ride to go back and get another load! It's ridiculous.

We used to hunt near the border by Sierra Vista for Coues but stopped going about 10 years ago after my dad and Brother in law walked into a train of drug mules. That was the last straw after seeing more illegals than deer and trash everywhere.
There's plenty of other Coues habitat to hunt and not have to deal with that!

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Was at Fort Huachuca in May 2010 for a school. Hiked the Huachuca Mnts a lot while there. Couldn't believe the amount of trash left behind, even on Post up on the mnt. Ran in to a bunch in the middle of the day on Miller Peak in Coronado NF; we called it in, gave GPS coordinates and descriptions, no guns seen though, all with packs and such, males & females. Meet the BP on their way in when we were heading out. Wasn't too nervous about it as we were three Soldiers and carrying; Love AZ's liberal gun laws.

Mruda1

FNG
Been hunting down in the 36’s for years now in S AZ. Never any issues. Have come across a few illegals and BP is always around. Hasn’t turned us away yet. In fact, doing our first back pack hunt down there this year and it can’t come soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

WKR
For real?! This is among the dumbest posts I have seen here. A Mexican Serapi looks NOTHING like a traditional middle-eastern floral prayer mat. Buy a vowel...

No dumber than someone claiming they found muslim prayer rugs. There have not been any documented cases of this ever happening. Just people repeating what the former LT. governor of TX David Dewhurst claimed without ever having any proof.
David Dewhurst says prayer rugs found in Texas brush near Mexico border | PolitiFact Texas

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Was southwest of there along the southern border of the CNF (near the center and the agricultural areas). I cannot be more specific as this was a buddy's honey hole. When you see vast piles of trash dumped in a ravine you know you're close. Look for lots of BP vehicles (be careful, they drive crazy fast on those dirt roads) and dumped backpacks, sleeping bags, clothes, food & water containers as well as the occasional Muslim prayer mat. Spooky stuff.

Wow that's crazy, I was hunting down in the Laguna Rec area for the Archery Season Opener a few weeks ago and I had camp setup outside of the Rec Area near the Anza B side. It must have been 2 Am when I woke up to the sounds of footsteps and Spanish in the black night, I wasn't sure what was going on all I new was I'm solo and only have my bow and knife. It freaked me out because I have also heard about stories like this, and new I was basically unarmed.

They ended up going off into the distance in the dark, but I sure didn't sleep to well until 4 am when it was time to get up and head to my hunt area. Thanks for the share, reminds me to keep my head alert at all times hunting down there. Be nice if we could carry a sidearm in CA during Archery Season :mad: