Making the Most of Two Free Days Near Anchorage, AK?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’m having to fly into Anchorage for work next month. I’ll be there for 7 days with only 5 of them being required to be on the customer site.

If you had two full days (not back to back) what are the best places to see/experience. Denali National Park seems like a no brainer. Any secret one day hikes worth checking out? Going to bring my little Osprey daypack in my luggage.

Should I be worried about bears and flying in with no pistol? Should I throw in a pistol and check a bag? I grew up in black bear country and have encountered hundreds of bears with zero issues. Potential for grizz is a new ball game, only other time has been hunting when I’m heightened and armed.

Appreciate any feedback and time taken to respond!

Mojave

WKR
Long day trip to Denali, maybe you can get a bus pass. The mountain is about 50 miles from the road. But if it is clear (which it won't be) you can see it from a lot of southern Alaska.

It is 230 miles from Anchorage.

There are a million things to see that are closer.

Seward and do a whale cruise.

Go fishing

If the weather sucks I recommend hitting the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center it is a big rescue zoo south of Anchorage about 20 miles.

Maybe taken the tram at Girdwood, hopeuflly you could get above the weather.

Alaska Bush Company :)

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
The most popular hike in AK is Flattop Mountain just a 20 minute drive from downtown. Depending on ability it is 1-3 hours round trip from the parking lot.

I agree with Mojave and would skip Denali.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Yeah, what others have said. Denali is quite a hike from Anchorage and you have to take the busses in to see anything. Not a day trip kind of thing. I'd vote for fishing out of Seward or Homer.

It’s rare to see Denali in August, but this morning was awesome with bright blue skies for about 6 hours as viewed from the south.

With that said, I would skip Denali and head down to Seward and get on the water. Lots of evening hikes such as flat top in Anchorage.

I would go to the Kenai and catch a pile of coho, giant rainbows, dollies, and gnarly sockeye and pinks.

If I made a list of 100 things to do this weekend, a trip to Denali would be #101

I'd also edit to add it depends on your dates. Next month could mean 2 weeks from now or 6 weeks. If 2 weeks, the Parks streams suggestion a couple posts below is a great suggestion. That's where I'll be the next few weekends.

Last edited:
I'd float beads on any Parks Hwy stream and scratch the hiking itch up in Hatchers Pass on your way back to Anchorage.

If you plan to fish a sidearm or at a minimum bear spray would be a good idea.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You don’t have enough time for denali. Even starting in talkeetna you wouldn’t have enough time unless you want to sit in a car or bus. If you do go there, one of the early stops is the extreme vertical trail (or something like that) and it’s a good hike. You won’t get back to see sheep and caribou if you get off at that stop though.

Near anchorage, look at matanuska glacier, girdwood or something. I’ve seen Roksliders recommend axe throwing which is incredibly lame but you might like it.

Htm84

WKR
I’d skip Denali as others have said. The drives too far and the roads closed at mile 40 or something. So you can’t even go in to the halfway mark. Try pioneer peak or lazy mountain. Maybe Matanuska peak. Or really any peak in the front range. Flattops a zoo on a decent day. Rabbit lake is cool to catch some rainbows and look at dall sheep. Occasionally see bears but I wouldn’t worry about carrying anything on any of the ideas I suggested.

I’d skip Denali as others have said. The drives too far and the roads closed at mile 40 or something. So you can’t even go in to the halfway mark. Try pioneer peak or lazy mountain. Maybe Matanuska peak. Or really any peak in the front range. Flattops a zoo on a decent day. Rabbit lake is cool to catch some rainbows and look at dall sheep. Occasionally see bears but I wouldn’t worry about carrying anything on any of the ideas I suggested.
Bodenburg Butte is worthwhile and an easy hike as well. Because it isn't very high to the top you still get good views even on overcast days.

Htm84

WKR
Bodenburg Butte is worthwhile and an easy hike as well. Because it isn't very high to the top you still get good views even on overcast days.

That shits like 50 feet tall. I can take a piss over it. Too much time in Minnesota my man. If you’re coming to Alaska hike a real mountain

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Hiking near Anchorage
-Flattop is crowded, skip it
-Wolverine Peak out of Basher Trailhead
-Rainbow Peak along Turnagain Arm
-Bird Ridge along Turnagain Arm
-Hatchers Pass is cool, but can be crowded

If you feel like driving
-Go to Seward or to Hope and pick a hike both are prettier drives then to Denali.
-Skip Denali, too much time spent traveling to get their

You can go fishing, Bird Creek is close. Ship Creek is in town, but muddy. The Kenai has great fishing from Seward across to Soldotna. If you hike into the Russian River you will avoid the crowds.

Bring a 22 and go Ptarmigan hunting.

If you have money to burn, charter a fishing boat out of Seward or a trip down the Kenai River out of Cooper Landing.

If none outdoor things are what you want, take the train to Seward.

Sounds like your first trip to Alaska.
Try not to do too much in two days, especially two days off that are not back to back.

Regarding a pistol: sounds like you will have a hotel and rental car. Stick with bear spray. Bear encounters near one day of Anchorage are uncommon and bear spray is just fine (let the haranguing begin…)
Bring a good pair of binos instead.

I’d say if this is your first time to Alaska, just drive. Drive down Turnagain Arm and look at the beauty of the mountains. Stop and look for Beluga whales and Dall sheep. Go to Whittier and drive through the tunnel. It is unique and historic. Then go to Girdwood and grab lunch. See how the artsy hipsters live. Drive to Seward to visit Exit Glacier if you are into glaciers.

Drive north. Pack a lunch. Drive up through Hatchers Pass. Lots of scenery, places to stop and ponder why you live in the lower 48. I could live in Hatchers Pass like a hermit.
Come out other side at Willow. Run up to Talkeetna and have dinner just to say you visited the damn little town 😊. You might get lucky and Denali will be showing her azz.

Go up the Glenn Hwy to Sheep Mountain. It’s the drive out that is incredible. Very underrated scenery. One of my favorite drives, I actually prefer the views there over Turnagain Arm. Stop at Grand View Cafe and get pizza while glassing for sheep. Sheep Mountain is closed to hunting, so there is a resident population of sheep there all the time.

Edit to add: use this short opportunity as a scouting trip for your next longer trip up

Last edited:

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like your first trip to Alaska.
Try not to do too much in two days, especially two days off that are not back to back.

Regarding a pistol: sounds like you will have a hotel and rental car. Stick with bear spray. Bear encounters near one day of Anchorage are uncommon and bear spray is just fine (let the haranguing begin…)
Bring a good pair of binos instead.

I’d say if this is your first time to Alaska, just drive. Drive down Turnagain Arm and look at the beauty of the mountains. Stop and look for Beluga whales and Dall sheep. Go to Whittier and drive through the tunnel. It is unique and historic. Then go to Girdwood and grab lunch. See how the artsy hipsters live. Drive to Seward to visit Exit Glacier if you are into glaciers.

Drive north. Pack a lunch. Drive up through Hatchers Pass. Lots of scenery, places to stop and ponder why you live in the lower 48. I could live in Hatchers Pass like a hermit.
Come out other side at Willow. Run up to Talkeetna and have dinner just to say you visited the damn little town 😊. You might get lucky and Denali will be showing her azz.

Go up the Glenn Hwy to Sheep Mountain. It’s the drive out that is incredible. Very underrated scenery. One of my favorite drives, I actually prefer the views there over Turnagain Arm. Stop at Grand View Cafe and get pizza while glassing for sheep. Sheep Mountain is closed to hunting, so there is a resident population of sheep there all the time.
This is your best bet! My first trip up we did a driving vaca, like 1200 miles around the interior. no specific destinations, just observed and fished everywhere we could.

if you end up in talkeetna for dinner, try out denali brewing co and make sure you tell their in-house welder his son sent you lol.