Making the Most of Two Free Days Near Anchorage, AK?

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a rental vehicle We found the drive up Hwy 1 to Glacier View great. The views and sightings of game was very memorable. At Sheep mountain I had my spotting scope and saw several Dahl sheep. Was lucky and got to see a pack of wolves on a point. This drive is much better than the drive to Denali which is several hours of looking at trees blocking you views. The drive to Seward is also nice. I think fishing will require more time than you may have. Take advantage of the amount of day light you will have. Remember you can sleep on the flight home. We saw most of the game from 11 pm to 2 am.

Htm84

WKR
Dude. Don’t just drive around on your free time. Go do something. Depending on when you’ll be here the better fishing might be wrapped up. Hikes everywhere.

Mojave

WKR
I can’t believe I am the only one who suggested the bush company.

Pizza in Girdwood sucks too.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Sounds like Denali isn’t what it used to be when it was McKinley. Went there in the mid 90s and remember it being spectacular. Thanks for the heads up.

I really don’t mind driving and seeing things but getting out and hiking new areas is my favorite.

I’m a catch and eat fisherman not a hobby fisherman so wouldn’t want to spend hours and hours on a bank somewhere.

Going out on a boat or plane to see sights does sound really cool. I used to know a float plane pilot in that area, I could see if he’s still flying.

Really appreciate the response's. Some great ideas here.

I enjoy driving down to Turnigan Arm. With Binos, you can see some good stuff out on the water and up on the mountains. You can see some moose on occasion too. While you are down that way take the tram at Girdwood.

Kincaid Park has some good hiking trails and bear and moose sightings are common there. It can be a little eerie in a fog when a moose materializes on the path in front of you.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like Denali isn’t what it used to be when it was McKinley. Went there in the mid 90s and remember it being spectacular. Thanks for the heads up.

I really don’t mind driving and seeing things but getting out and hiking new areas is my favorite.

I’m a catch and eat fisherman not a hobby fisherman so wouldn’t want to spend hours and hours on a bank somewhere.

Going out on a boat or plane to see sights does sound really cool. I used to know a float plane pilot in that area, I could see if he’s still flying.

Really appreciate the response's. Some great ideas here.
Dave Hicks at N 2 Alaska flight service has a 185 on floats. Does Denali scenic flights or anywhere else you want. He's been flying around AK for near 40 some years so knows his way around and a great pilot too. 907-616-1010. He operates out of Talkeetna. You can get on a white water riverboat ride there there, Makays riverboat service. And it's a place folks enjoy seeing and the take off point for folks that climb mountains. And probably folks that could take you on a great hike. A lot of little streams you will cross that are good fishing hiking or just seeing the bush
Ak is a big beautiful place. The Kenai peninsula is nice but a lot of folks moving around. It's fishing, tourists season on the Kenai. And sheep creek lodge is a great place. Probably good pizza there too. Get out, stay safe happy n have fun doing it

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Leave the guns at home
Why??? It’s not that hard to bring a pistol, if it’s in a lock box you can just put it in a suitcase (obviously you have to paper form/TSA thing. I was in denali about a month ago and went on the tourist bus with my wife to get to some hikes. I was surprised how many people were walking around with those hill people gear kit bags on their chests.

I pretty much have some sort of firearm with me 99% of the time I fly and it’s really not a big deal.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Why??? It’s not that hard to bring a pistol, if it’s in a lock box you can just put it in a suitcase (obviously you have to paper form/TSA thing. I was in denali about a month ago and went on the tourist bus with my wife to get to some hikes. I was surprised how many people were walking around with those hill people gear kit bags on their chests.

I pretty much have some sort of firearm with me 99% of the time I fly and it’s really not a big deal.
Yeah my 10mm is coming with while hiking in grizz country. It will be in the checked luggage. Have been really lucky flying with firearms every year since 2008.

Flying to/from and touring around Alaska with a firearm is easy. Leaving a firearm in a hotel, even in a safe, while on a worksite….no way I would do. I don’t trust hotel safes.
If you can carry your friend with you on your worksite, then by all means bring it.
But do not leave it anywhere except on your person or within eyesight.
And please review Alaska’s alcohol consumption while carrying laws.
(Yes, nearly everyone who carrys regularly has a drink or two, but it needs to be mentioned. Not everyone knows about it, even some Alaskans).
Also, there are specific laws in Denali park on where you can carry. Hide it in those areas ;)

I spent the entire month of July traveling in Alaska.

As others have said, skip Denali.

The Kenai peninsula is amazing. That’s where I would spend my time if I was only there for 2 days.