Hunting near US/Mexico border

I just drew a mule deer tag in a far SW New Mexico unit that borders Mexico. I have read a lot online about some of these units and some rather interesting encounters. Curious if anyone here on the Rok have had any issues or close encounters hunting units on the southern border?
i wish :)

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Those dirty maplebacks up north are not to be trusted. Whole different conversation.
Familiar with the Border Patrol, I can tell you that about the only difference between the north and south borders is that Canada 🇨🇦 does SOME screening and they have to fly to Canada. Not so much the dregs of the world coming up from "no visa required" South America.

Anyone hear about the 8 Chinese nationals found dead on a beach in Mexico?

So, don't tell me "schtuff" doesn't just happen!
There's a difference between saying it never happens (I can't know that for sure) and saying "it happens at such a miniscule rate that thinking about it is a waste of your time". This falls into the latter category. Like shark attacks. There are ~100 unprovoked shark attacks globally every year, yet people still swim in the ocean at beaches. Those 100 people could say "Hey look, it happened to me." and get the reply of "We know and don't really care".

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
.....and suddenly, a shark has you by the leg!

Look, that was 33 years ago! I still drive. The chances of another wreck, much less a head on, are indeed miniscule.....but you can bet your sweet bippy when I see a vehicle doing something erratic or approaching an intersection at a high rate of speed, I back off and pay particular attention to that vehicle until it stops or makes a definite move.

I also don't care whether whoever goes to the US/Mex border to hunt or not. No skin off my back.

Weldor

WKR
My subtle point to this has been it just doesn’t happen. If it did word would be all over the hunting and outdoor community and it isn’t. We have and hear about encounters and theft but not harm. The coyotes and lumpers aren’t going to bother you if you don’t bother them. They aren’t going to shoot you if you don’t try to shoot them. It just doesn’t happen. I’m not saying there isn’t any worry because anything can go south, I’m saying it just doesn’t happen.

Encounters happen all the time and nobody is dying from it. Migrants no biggie, armed lumpers? Well those encounters can be unnerving but they don’t want to shoot you and they aren’t shooting people. Never have.
True, but they sure like to break into things. 4 broken windows in my truck over the years, 2 campers broken into. So I do have first hand knowledge of the problem. Have cleaned up a enough trash to fill 2- 40 yard dumpsters.Quit going down a few years back. I loved hunting that area for 30 plus years. Just not worth the hassle anymore for me personally. But to each his own.

Last edited: