I guess we need a 2022 fitness goal thread!

Wingnutty

FNG
Great thread.

Goal this year is to focus more on strength and lifting than I have in the past. Would like to maintain a workout regime that includes lifting and gym work 3x per week, running 3-5 miles 2x/week, swimming 2500 yards, including 400 yards of butterfly sprints 2x/week and 1x 2-4 mile weighted pack workout/week. I think that’s doable and will serve me well.

My other goal is to have 125 days afield hunting or fishing this year.

All this is hard to do with 4 kids in the house but I’d rather rest when I’m dead.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
I'll join this year. 2 babies at home currently take up 99% of my free time. I was consistent with 4x/week until last October but slowed down over winter.

Goals - start now.
I find night workouts impossible, so #1 is to get back into routine - go to bed early after kids, & wake up at 4.
4x/wk strength/cardio/endurance routine, plus weekend run, with a monthly endurance fun day.
No drinks Sun until Fri after work.
Daily water intake 3L
Coffee down to 1cup/day

Well I had one goal of 15000 average daily steps for 2022.

Tacked on another one this last week due to injuring my shoulder after eating it on the ice while putting covers on a bush plane. That 2nd goal is to try and stay healthy and no additional injuries.

With that came a 3rd goal-stretch for 15 minutes every day.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a decent February, 138 miles, in the 35,000' range again this month, roughly 25 of those miles on snowshoes or backcountry skis; 293 miles for the year which is in the ballpark for 2022 miles

Strength training went well, got all of my workouts in twice a week- added 10 lbs to my squats and deadlifts again, another 5 lbs to my bench and overhead press

Probably not the best idea, but got sucked into the Sally Up pushup challenge- making progress

UNIjUzR.jpg

2eX8NwE.jpg

fvebDnN.jpg

KV7fpzl.jpg

GxDjrIt.jpg

About five years ago I was in maybe the best shape of my life. The last two years or so I haven't had the same drive. I just turned 33 a week ago and feel like I'm ready to push back to the condition that I was in.

I had some good motivation going after a brutal pack out in October that showed me how far I had fallen. Then, we caught COVID over Christmas and it set me back a little. I've been back on the wagon for a couple months now though. I'm a little over my average bodyweight, currently right around 200 but I believe I'm only carrying a few extra fat pounds.

On Saturday I took the dog for a hike and got the urge to get back to running some trail in addition to my normal weight lifting and rucking workouts, besides I have a fairly active outdoor job. To further strengthen my resolve, I stopped by REI and picked up a new set of running shoes.

I don't have any real numerical goals, I just try to remind myself not to be a bitch when it's tough.

Cheers to everyone making progress in 2022!

Hoping to hit the magical 5 plate deadlift by June this year!
It sure does make you feel good getting that off the ground! My goals this year are less raw strength training and more useful training. It's hard for me as I've spent all of my life lifting heavy and trying to gain weight but I really think I've lacked on my cardio and hoping it will help me come September

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Here's my update through February:

Trail Running Miles- 196
Hiking Miles- 51
Mtn. Biking Miles- 0
Total Trail Miles- 247 of 1,600 for the year
Total Elevation Gain- 40,300 of 250,000 for the year

Febraury was a decent month. I'm maybe 10 miles behind schedule but I'll easily make that up in the summer and I'm right on track for the elevation gain. I also joined in on the Sally Pushup Challenge. I have a long ways to go to get to 30...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Trying to balance the fine line of continuing my 5 day split weight lifting with not beating my joints up so I can’t. My younger days of construction etc are catching up… So far so good, slow and steady with only a sore shoulder right now. Started up mtn biking again after a 20+ year break. Super into it in the 90s and the wife and I recently got a couple bikes and started hitting the trails until I blew out my fork this last weekend so while the shop is looking at it for a warranty replacement fork we’re down to only hiking again. This year I’d like to continue lifting while maintaining cardio. Last year I went much lighter on lifting and bumped the cardio way up before elk season which worked out pretty good but it took forever to get back what I lost lifting
(which isn’t probably much, but I’ve worked pretty hard to get it) after that season and muzzy deer season was over. My goal is to keep both going strong this year.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
In addition to 4 days a week CrossFit, start mixing in 1 day of trail runs or rucking. Follow the snow line up and hopefully be able to easily run 7+ miles at 10,000 feet by September. I did 7 miles at 4,000 feet on Sunday, so only 6,000 more feet to go.

Jstolte

FNG
Great goals In here guys. Glad to be surrounded by likeminded individuals that want to get after it.

My goals for 2022:

50k trail run this July in Colorado. Just started my 16 week training plan on Monday.

After that the plan is to add 2 heavy rucks and 3 crossfit-type workouts per week to my training regiment in order to be in elk shape this fall.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Loose 50 lbs this year;
Get back my 17-18’s gun shows with a 33” waste
Bench press 305 lbs.. not sure how much I should be able to dead lift or squat..

Run a 14 min 2 mile
Be able to hike 10 miles with 30 lbs

Start prep / training for a sheep hunt in 2024-2025

And get my blue belt in Jiu jitsu by Christmas

Aklongbow

FNG
My new hunting buddy just turned a year old !! He is a Retrieving , pointing, tracking and hunting machine..... loves hunting more than me and never stops lol.
I just strap on a 60# pack , eat healthy and he keeps me going !!!! I usually hike / hunt with him 3 evenings a week after work . I usually snowshoe 3-4 miles and he does around 7 miles . The other 2 evenings I go up to the shop and workout boxing and other mma related exercises.
Weekends we hike /hunt each day . Usually I am doing 6-7 miles with a 60# pack and he usually runs 10-11 miles lol
Seems to be working out OK ha!ha ...... he keeps me motivated , he never wants to stop .

Attachments

• 20220307_183345.jpg
    20220307_183345.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220307_183434.jpg
    20220307_183434.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

River1313

FNG
This year focusing more on rucking. Last year focused too much on strength training and realized it doesn’t translate well when carry 80lb pack out. Making sure to do at least 3 miles a week with 60lb pack on local trails while still maintaining strength conditioning. Nothing beats actually carrying weight on hilly ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
ivNnOhr.jpg
3hp460r.jpg
LOgHMNk.jpg
March was a good month- 216 miles. Half of it from a 100 mile, week long snowshoe trip across the Bob Marshall and Great Bear Wildernesses. Arduous would be too a weak a word to describe it :D

I injured a tendon on my ankle, but knock on wood, it appears to be healing- icing, NSAID’s and very gentle hiking (just a couple of miles). Will keep this up for a couple more days and if all well- add to the mileage. Also plan on hitting the gym this weekend. Earlier in the month I was hitting my twice a week strength training, but it’s been a couple of weeks now.

Already posted my goal, but going to be more specific and update.

Me and my younger brother just completed our first week of the Wendler 531. Running sprints on the treadmill until it warms up more outside!
Currently 6’4 208.4lbs. Squat and deadlift 300lbs, bench 240, overhead press 145.

With the new baby me and my wife have been walking 1-3 miles when the weather is nice enough for the baby to be outside. Lots of golf being played and bows being shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What's some advice for maintaining mass while still being in high exertion hunting shape?

I've done a great job putting on size over the last year. I've always been very fit but pretty lean which has worked out nicely for backpacking and hunting. I'm now up to 220 lbs at 6'1" and wouldn't mind gaining another 10 lbs of muscle. I'm really enjoying the strength and size... The issue I'm having is my cardio isn't what it used to be at my normal in shape of 185-190 lbs.

Is this a lost cause and should I "meet in the middle" somewhere?

Thanks for any advice.