I may have trashed my bow today!

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I was out in the yard shooting today when my D loop broke and I punched myself square in the nose. My bow went flying and slammed on the concrete. It looks like everything will function fine but my it landed on my lower cam and is roughed up a good bit. One of my top limbs is scratched up too.
I’m going to take to someone who knows more than I do to check everything out.

Has anyone else had any experiences like this and how’d their bow turn out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 111

Seeknelk

WKR
Not quite the same but last summer I dry fired my #80 hoyt ventum. De railed and trashed the string and noticed a slight bend in one cam lobe. Limbs have been fine. Replaced a cam, 2 axles just because and the string( needed a new one anyway).

I was out in the yard shooting today when my D loop broke and I punched myself square in the nose. My bow went flying and slammed on the concrete. It looks like everything will function fine but my it landed on my lower cam and is roughed up a good bit. One of my top limbs is scratched up too.
I’m going to take to someone who knows more than I do to check everything out.

Has anyone else had any experiences like this and how’d their bow turn out?
Did you take it to a reputable bow shop for a good lookover or did you do self-diagnosis? Things like this can come back and bite you when you have that big bull or buck in the crosshairs, just saying.

OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Did you take it to a reputable bow shop for a good lookover or did you do self-diagnosis? Things like this can come back and bite you when you have that big bull or buck in the crosshairs, just saying.
I did a self diagnosis. I am planning to take it to a bow shop to have them look everything over though when I get time.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
Look that cam over close and make sure to file down any burrs that may be on it, so they don't damage your string/serving. I have had to file down burrs from dinging a cam before.
Perhaps a good time to invest in a wrist sling?

Mish-pop

Lil-Rokslider
I broke my d-loop last year but luckily it was in the first half of my draw so not a ton of pull yet. I will second the wrist sling as that saved my bow hitting the ground

WCB

WKR
Punch myself 2Xs...messed with my release tension 1X and the other got lazy with my finger and punched one off mid draw.

As far as the bow goes. Only thing close was running to cut off a Pronghorn. Once boot lace came untied (off the hooks)....caught the hooks on my other boot and ass over tea kettle I went. My bow flew 15yards in the air and cartwheeled another 20 down a cut. When I was done re tying my boots and pulling cactus out of my hands, back, and legs...bow was good (or appeared to be). Shot it into a cut bank and was right on at 30yards.

Never had a d loop break…..knock on wood…..but over 20 years ago I was at an indoor shoot and my cheap ass Cobra wrist release decided to identify as a grenade at half draw and my arrow went sailing into the concrete wall, pieces of the trans grenade were scattered all over the floor, and you could hear a pin drop as everyone stared at me. Oh yeah and I punched myself in the mouth also 😂

rclouse79

WKR
Too bad you weren't filming yourself during the shooting session. I bet that would have got some views on YouTube. I pushed my last d loop way further than I should have. This post makes me feel fortunate I did not suffer the same fate you did.

kpk

WKR
Looks like it's just cosmetic. Take some sandpaper and smooth out any rough spots just incase it would start fraying the string.

CMF

WKR
Dropped my ole DXT from a treestand once, no issues, also had a dent in the cam from an unknown event, no issues
Just make sure the ding in the cam doesn't have a sharp edge that could cut or fray the string.
Shoot cautiously for a few shots....
I got to my deer camp one weekend on a Thursday evening to find one of my limbs with a splinter. Pulled it back cautiously and test shot an arrow. Test went good, so went hunting and killed a buck the next day with it. Got the limbs warranty a couple weeks later.