Idaho Grizzly range?

ODB

WKR
Just curious how much confidence there is in the potential grizzly area map from IDFG?

Too conservative? Too liberal? About right? Any evidence to counter what they show?

IMG_2779.jpeg

I hunted 66 and 66A a handful when I lived there. Talked to the biologist about those areas and he said yeah they could be anywhere along the eastern border.

Reactions: ODB

TaperPin

WKR
Collared bears have traveled well outside of normal range, usually returning back, but a bear can travel a surprising distance.

Given the criteria be able to call a grizzly a resident or not, I believe a few of those purples are close with just a little bit more boots on the ground. I know biologists have been doing some decent surveying the past few years and some don’t want them here fearing the unneeded bullshit regs that fall into place for land management agencies when you have them.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Have seen evidence and examples (grizz) outside of their purple/orange areas by quite a ways.

R

CorbLand

WKR
We have a cabin in 60. Been going there for 32 years and never had to worry about them. Last 5, there have been attacks and many sighting within 5 miles of our cabin.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty positive I saw one near Salmon a few years ago but can't prove it.A local guy said he's heard it before but who knows.I saw 3 in Montana in an area that was outside of the grizzly area at the time and a few years ago my brother in law got charged there and the bear biologist was like yeah we have a collared one in there and there's probably more.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Grizz wander over into the Beaverhead zone and Bitterroot range practically every year. They don't stick around and head back over into Montana. The fruit loops want them all the way down to mccall. Kiss your outdoor freedoms goodbye if that happens. They'll come up with a whole new set of restrictions once that happens.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Grizz wander over into the Beaverhead zone and Bitterroot range practically every year. They don't stick around and head back over into Montana. The fruit loops want them all the way down to mccall. Kiss your outdoor freedoms goodbye if that happens. They'll come up with a whole new set of restrictions once that happens.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t be sad if they showed up in McCall. Could use a few less of the fruitloops in that part of the world. Those people are soft enough to pack up and head out if there was any chance a grizz would interrupt their huckleberry picking.

Several said it above. Most of the purple is already orange and they’re steadily moving up the MT border from the south as well.

As far as the Panhandle… north of Highway 200 in MT has plenty of griz. They obviously frequent Idaho.

Unit 10… it borders the Great Burn in MT, which has griz. About 10yrs ago, an Outfitter’s client juiced a bear in the upper end of the N Fk of the Clearwater River (Kelly Cr actually). When they walked up to it they noticed that his claws were quite large. It was the first “verified” griz in that area in a long, long time.

MTtrout

WKR
If regulations, federal protections didn’t apply and states could manage them. What is the issue with grizzly bears? Fear, fawn/calf mortality, risk of interactions, hatred, or the fact they our still on the ESA?

This is a serious question. I’m just as frustrated grizzlies are still listed. I do like them though

CorbLand

WKR
If regulations, federal protections didn’t apply and states could manage them. What is the issue with grizzly bears? Fear, fawn/calf mortality, risk of interactions, hatred, or the fact they our still on the ESA?

This is a serious question. I’m just as frustrated grizzlies are still listed. I do like them though
The fact that they will end you for just looking in their general direction is enough for me to want them all dead. They are far far more aggressive than black bears.

If there wasn’t any impact to downstream users (timber, extractive industries) and states were able to manage them without exhaustive lawsuits, I’d have no problem with them naturally expanding.