Idaho or montana?

Some areas in the Crazies and Bridgers can be very difficult to work around private land. The $100 for OnXmaps chip would be money well spent, as a trespassing ticket is more than that.

Once you really get into your homework, I think the better areas will start to jump out at you.

Jon Boy

WKR
I've hunted and scouted nearly all of central montana very extensively. From gardiner to belt and from big timber to lewis town. All of the ranges have elk and they all have lots of hunters. Just gotta work your way around them. Keep in mind if an area holds a good amount of elk. A lot of people will be hunting it.

OP
E
Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming. I got a few areas to dig deeper now and looks like I need to study the landowner maps as well. Jon Boy I tried to message you but your inbox is full.

Here's my advice in a nutshell:

1) Look at elk populations for hunt districts
2) Look at hunter success rates
3) Look at road densities and travel plans

Any unit with decent elk numbers, and some areas where you can get a mile from a road can provide you with good hunting opportunitites. For the most part in Montana, you will find elk on public land during archery season. Later in the rifle season you will have issues with elk seeking refuge on private land, but it's not nearly as big of an issue in September.

Every mountain range west of Billings holds elk. However, they will vary greatly in how steep they are, how dense the forest canopy is, how the elk disperse, and the relative hunting pressure. Some areas get hammered with pressure one year and have very little the next. That's why when I go to Montana I always have at LEAST three plans, sometimes more. Sometimes plan B might mean driving 100 miles.

Don't rope yourself in to one certain spot and one certain style of hunting without something else to fall back on because of hunter numbers, fire closures, flooding (like the Missouri Breaks last year), etc. Don't overthink it either.

The more time you can give yourself and the more open your mind is, the better your odds of success.

Thanks! Because of this comment, the remainder of my work week will be spent reviewing the unit objective map to find areas with good potential. Unlike the Colorado hunting atlas, Montana does not offer a road map overlay. Are there any good resources that show the 4x4 trails and FS roads in Montana? Pretty much any topo map will have some of the roads, but you can never tell if it's open, or even a real road for that matter.

Anytime I see a bunch of trails/roads on a topo map I just move on to the next area. I feel like I'm missing out on some good areas by doing this, but I'm trying to reducing my chances of running in to other hunters. Any more insight or information on this would be greatly appreciated!

martin_shooter

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking at FS land, every forest puts out a Motor Vehicle Use Map. This shows where ATV's, dirtbikes, vehicles can be used and when. They are usually free.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! Because of this comment, the remainder of my work week will be spent reviewing the unit objective map to find areas with good potential. Unlike the Colorado hunting atlas, Montana does not offer a road map overlay. Are there any good resources that show the 4x4 trails and FS roads in Montana? Pretty much any topo map will have some of the roads, but you can never tell if it's open, or even a real road for that matter.

Anytime I see a bunch of trails/roads on a topo map I just move on to the next area. I feel like I'm missing out on some good areas by doing this, but I'm trying to reducing my chances of running in to other hunters. Any more insight or information on this would be greatly appreciated!

As mentioned, get a forest map with use restrictions marked. They are not free in my area. You can purchase them at local forest service ranger stations or online at http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com.

There are areas where there are many old roads that are closed for all of the year or during the hunting season. These areas can have some of the best hunting around, and very few hunters, since you still have to work to get into them during the season.

I've hunted a lot of the areas you have listed. People have giving you some great advice on research. How ever must of Montana's numbers aren't very accurate, just saying. As far as the little belts there are elk but its heavily traveled by hunters. Even the crazies got crowded last season and people were pushing elk and so were search and rescue in September along with some ranch helicopters...don't take the crazies lightly. Just look at roads and trails and try to avoid them but not every trail is the same. Some trails get pack strings 4 times a day others get 4 times a season..got to go and learn. Keep an open mind and have 10 backups...for example I was on my 5th backup plan last season and I decided to take a chance on area that wasn't even on my list...killed a bull that night...and I found a spot I'd never seen before...walked 11 miles in a circle(using no trails) and walked into a bull growling in the timber. You just never know

OP
E
I've found some decent looking spots in the northern bridgers and down in unit 560. Unit 560 looks easier to get away from people as its so big but how bad are the grizzlies if we camp out there? Anyone have any pictures of these areas they would care to share or you could pm me. Also looking into the dillon area but that's a bit farther or a drive coming from wisconsin. Thanks again

The very northern part of the Bridgers has a fair bit of checkerboarded public land that is difficult to access. Flathead Pass is a pretty well used access road also.

Lots of grizzly bears up the Boulder River and all throughout the Absoraka Range. We always saw lots of tracks but never had any problems. Carry bear spray and follow food storage regulations.