Idahoans do not like out-of-state hunters

LoggerDan

WKR
Well, if it’s any consolation to you, I log with quite a few Idahoans and I always make sure to give them a healthy ration of shit about not being real loggers and not knowing anything about boats and skiffs.

Most ID guys I know are good folks. Just tired of driving to Washington to buy weed.

NR's pay through the nose to hunt. They should be able to enjoy themselves without folks hassling them. Like I said above I don't think that it's just hunters that are seeing the animosity. I think there is frustration bleeding through to a lot of interactions with out of staters.
Indeed. The Idaho invasion crisis extends FAR beyond hunting.

huntsd

WKR
I hunt idaho with the worst plates of all. Commiefornia. First hunt out there I ran into an old timer at the trail head. He gave me some pointers on where the water was. Few days later I packed a buck out and gave him a back strap for the intel. He and his camp buddies were pumped. Still talk to him before the season starts every year to this day.

In CO I have only had positive experiences with the locals. We got a tire aired up by a local that was staying in our camper next to us and he was as friendly as could be. We talked a few times over the course of the week and even came by for hi fives when one of our guys killed his first bull.

We got some side eyes as a guide was leading a line of mules past us after we hiked in up a truly brutal climb. On his way back past us an hour later he asked how we got back in there with all our stuff and his eyes about bugged out of his head when we told him the trail name. He informed us it was a mule trail and we were crazy for climbing it on foot. Must have earned us some respects since he informed us he had a camp up the valley that wasn't going to be used all week and that if we went the whole way back we would get into elk. We did and we did.

The locals that sell groceries and gas were happy to take our money as well.

I figure that as long as we are respectful of the land and the locals they have no reason to not want our funds going toward their conservation efforts.

I’m a resident Idahoan and I don’t even want to talk to other residents. 🤷
I don’t like people at all when I’m hunting… don’t want to socialize or even see anyone… it’s nothing personal, I just don’t want to interact with anyone, and I doubt that will change

Have the whole rest of the year to socialize, elk season is short

I don’t pay attention to license plates, but I’m certainly not looking for hunting buddies no matter where they are from

I don’t like people at all when I’m hunting… don’t want to socialize or even see anyone… it’s nothing personal, I just don’t want to interact with anyone, and I doubt that will change

This is how I am too.

Dunno if he is still around, but there used to be a OSP goober that would patrol around the area that I hunted. He would stop and talk to everybody he could during rifle season. All he was doing was collecting info cuz bow season is right around the corner

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have hunted in seven different state. the only problems I have had was in my current state of residence, Ca. UGGH. It wasn't the hunters, but the game wardens. Ca. wardens are a bunch of self important, inconsiderate want to be's. When they approach hunters they go out of their way looking for violations, which much to their disappointment, have never been able to cite me for. They are the reason I no longer hunt Ca. Wardens I have run across in every other state treat out of state hunters with respect, all the while performing their job.

I only ran into that guy a few times. He was pushy though, never checked my tags or anything. But he sure needed to know where I had been and what I was seeing.

He was rather well known

Jethro

WKR
@Kleos, next year hunt CO. Whoever you cross paths with, odds will be in your favor they are also a NR.:unsure:

I've never been to ID, but in 14 seasons of CO, WY, and NM I can't think of any bad interactions.

This is how I am too.

Dunno if he is still around, but there used to be a OSP goober that would patrol around the area that I hunted. He would stop and talk to everybody he could during rifle season. All he was doing was collecting info cuz bow season is right around the corner
What bow season comes after rifle season? Cow tags?

TaperPin

WKR
When I lived in Idaho only half the people were actually from there - it sounds even worse now. Same for parts of Wyoming - outsiders changing the state to be like the state they left, or worse, to change the state into something unlike anywhere just to be ignorant aholes.

I had quite the experience the last couple of days. To preface this I was an Idaho resident for several years. I hunted the same area for elk for two years, this being my third but with a catch. I had to move out of state for a job opportunity.

Let me tell you, people treat you completely differently if you have plates on your vehicle other than Idaho near hunting grounds. I did a lot of leg work learning this area prior to my first two years and when I elk hunted there I rarely saw other people. But when I did you could have a pleasant conversation with each other and I met a lot of really cool people.

I had to move out of state because I was presented with a job opportunity and it was very hard leaving Idaho as I greatly appreciated the area I was living. But I did not want to give up on hunting with my best friend and the godfather of my child. I knew that being an out-of-state hunter would pose its challenges but I am very respectful when it comes to hunting.

If I see a vehicle down a road that I want to hunt, I will try and stay clear of that area, even if I know there are MANY other points that I could hunt from out of respect. If I have to drive by a parked vehicle that someone may be hunting near I drive slowly so I don't spook anything if there on an elk. These are just a few of my many rules because I want everyone to enjoy there time out there.

I went on a short elk hunting trip that I and my buddy had been planning since the last trip. When driving if I see people I stop and say hi or just wave if they look busy. I had a couple of incidents where I pulled to the side to let the oncoming car go past me on a trail and several stopped and just stared at me. I would say hi and ask how there doing and most of them wouldn't even give me the time of day and if they did they would make a bizarre comment on out of state hunters which I would just laugh and leave.

Today I was leaving a trail and I had a guy rip and roaring on a 4-wheeler, most likely scaring all the elk away, flip me off.

I am surprised why people even waste their time hunting if they are so mad about out-of-staters coming in. I get it, it's packed and a lot of hunters in general suck at being respectful.

I would argue it's the people described above that are truly ruining this amazing activity. There the ones who leave the garbage everywhere and make the people who for years have let people hunt their lands stop. These are the people who do more talking about how people are ruining the sport while doing nothing themselves to help fund groups that protect hunting or at least protect their lands.

I doubt anyone on here would do this, but if you would. Maybe you should become part of the solution instead of contributing to another problem that this will create.

I really don't want to hunt Idaho anymore because I really don't want to come back to my vehicle's tires slashed, or deal with confrontations all of the time. I can handle my own but I go out there to get away from society's issues not to continue in them.

I will continue to hunt in Idaho because my best friend is there. But I don't see this problem getting any better.
Hmm, I think it goes both ways. (i didn't read all the replies in this thread)

As a Sandpoint local, it would be real difficult to argue with you. A lot of residents are pretty rude to NR. Not everyone though, and ironically it's usually people who have only lived here 5-10 years who have that weird attitude.

I ran into a guy from California last week having a beer who was up here for archery elk and he was a very good guy and said everyone up here had been very nice to him, as was I. Life is way too short to get all up in arms over every little thing and realistically we're all American's here for the same thing.

Honestly the residents piss me off more then NR these days lol.

Just remember a bad apple doesn't ruin the whole tree and best of luck on your hunt, stay safe bud. Oh, and go home 😂

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
I had quite the experience the last couple of days. To preface this I was an Idaho resident for several years. I hunted the same area for elk for two years, this being my third but with a catch. I had to move out of state for a job opportunity.

Let me tell you, people treat you completely differently if you have plates on your vehicle other than Idaho near hunting grounds. I did a lot of leg work learning this area prior to my first two years and when I elk hunted there I rarely saw other people. But when I did you could have a pleasant conversation with each other and I met a lot of really cool people.

I had to move out of state because I was presented with a job opportunity and it was very hard leaving Idaho as I greatly appreciated the area I was living. But I did not want to give up on hunting with my best friend and the godfather of my child. I knew that being an out-of-state hunter would pose its challenges but I am very respectful when it comes to hunting.

If I see a vehicle down a road that I want to hunt, I will try and stay clear of that area, even if I know there are MANY other points that I could hunt from out of respect. If I have to drive by a parked vehicle that someone may be hunting near I drive slowly so I don't spook anything if there on an elk. These are just a few of my many rules because I want everyone to enjoy there time out there.

I went on a short elk hunting trip that I and my buddy had been planning since the last trip. When driving if I see people I stop and say hi or just wave if they look busy. I had a couple of incidents where I pulled to the side to let the oncoming car go past me on a trail and several stopped and just stared at me. I would say hi and ask how there doing and most of them wouldn't even give me the time of day and if they did they would make a bizarre comment on out of state hunters which I would just laugh and leave.

Today I was leaving a trail and I had a guy rip and roaring on a 4-wheeler, most likely scaring all the elk away, flip me off.

I am surprised why people even waste their time hunting if they are so mad about out-of-staters coming in. I get it, it's packed and a lot of hunters in general suck at being respectful.

I would argue it's the people described above that are truly ruining this amazing activity. There the ones who leave the garbage everywhere and make the people who for years have let people hunt their lands stop. These are the people who do more talking about how people are ruining the sport while doing nothing themselves to help fund groups that protect hunting or at least protect their lands.

I doubt anyone on here would do this, but if you would. Maybe you should become part of the solution instead of contributing to another problem that this will create.

I really don't want to hunt Idaho anymore because I really don't want to come back to my vehicle's tires slashed, or deal with confrontations all of the time. I can handle my own but I go out there to get away from society's issues not to continue in them.

I will continue to hunt in Idaho because my best friend is there. But I don't see this problem getting any better.
You are reading A LOT into one random 'bird' from a stranger.

Oregon blacktail. They pause the bow season and have rifle season.
I always forget that. I can’t really blame the guy. We were at dinner last night and the folks next to us were telling anybody and everybody about the two bulls they killed that morning. They even mentioned the mountain they were on. Sure enough I ran up there this morning and got into elk first thing

I always forget that. I can’t really blame the guy. We were at dinner last night and the folks next to us were telling anybody and everybody about the two bulls they killed that morning. They even mentioned the mountain they were on. Sure enough I ran up there this morning and got into elk first thing

No I cant blame him for asking. Lotta guys get nervous and start babbling when a cop is asking questions. He had intel on every oak tree in the county..

He sure didnt like it, if you didnt play his lil game though