If you were going to ThruHike

Poser

WKR
If you were going to ThruHike a major trail such as the CDT, Co Trail, PCT or AT, would you convert to/invest in a typical thru hiker UL setup with a frameless cuben fiber pack and <25 lbs load out or would you just use your existing hunting pack?

Would you plan on eating how you eat on hunting trips with full dehydrated dinners or go more thru hiker style minimalist?

I realize the individual trail choice could make a difference here as the CDT is more complex with fewer resupply opportunities than the AT or CO Trail and the PCT isn’t awesome for single wall tents, but, in general, would you go with what you have and know or convert more towards what is the standard?

Maverick1

WKR
Either approach would work. If it’s a one time deal, and/or just a portion of the trail I’d consider using my hunting gear. However, you said thru hike - that’s a different ordeal. I’d probably buy the most appropriate gear for the task at hand.

A buddy of mine and I were having this discussion the other day. He’s working on the PCT, doing sections each year. When he retires in a couple years he will have California completed and do the Oregon and Washington sections in one fell swoop.

We both prefer a slower approach to enjoy the scenery, so would lean more towards conventional comforts. For instance, he carries a fishing rod on all the sections he’s doing in California right now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you wanted to buy gear sure go all ultra light. Otherwise probably just go normal lite. Use stuff I already had but try to trim it down a bit. Me and my wife want to do the John Muir trail in the next few years, I doubt I’d buy a full new kit to do that trip. I’m sure there are a few things I’d buy but I doubt I’d ever use some hyperlite mountain gear pack ever again after that trip.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A buddy of mine and I were having this discussion the other day. He’s working on the PCT, doing sections each year. When he retires in a couple years he will have California completed and do the Oregon and Washington sections in one fell swoop.

We both prefer a slower approach to enjoy the scenery, so would lean more towards conventional comforts. For instance, he carries a fishing on all the sections he’s doing in California right now.
My cousin has done the whole thing, he did the ultra light thing and decided that if he was doing it again, there are areas he’d sacrifice the weight for comfort.

Definitely lighter pack and footwear. Most thru hikers use trail running shoes now days. You can shed a lot of weight by being more minimal without having to buy a whole new set of gear to go completely ultralight.

I'd focus on bringing a lighter me mostly!
That'll just happen naturally once you start.

My former boss, who is just a couple of years older than I am is retired and his wife passed away a few years ago, so he pretty much just hikes now. He did the ECT last year (Just under 3k miles) and is currently on the Continental Divide trail, although early season weather put him behind and he is going to finish in the spring. PCT next. He's a machine.... That said, he is all about super lightweight. We hunt off the Colorado trail some and have chatted with some thru hikers over the years. Crap, they barely carry any water.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
That'll just happen naturally once you start.

My former boss, who is just a couple of years older than I am is retired and his wife passed away a few years ago, so he pretty much just hikes now. He did the ECT last year (Just under 3k miles) and is currently on the Continental Divide trail, although early season weather put him behind and he is going to finish in the spring. PCT next. He's a machine.... That said, he is all about super lightweight. We hunt off the Colorado trail some and have chatted with some thru hikers over the years. Crap, they barely carry any water.

Talked to a couple once on the final section of the CT. They had done the AT and PCT together prior to the CT. They ate Carnation instant breakfasts exclusively for primary meals and didn’t carry a stove. They were skinny as rails except for their calves.

taybou

FNG
My partner and I hiked the Oregon section last year over about 4 weeks, averaging about 15mi/day. I have pretty lightweight gear, but opted for my 5lb Seek Outside pack instead of my lighter ULA pack. I don't regret it, however I wouldn't choose to do it again, especially for a longer trip. I expected to be carrying extra water, and potentially extra gear for both of us should she need a break since I can carry a lot more weight.

At one point leaving Crater Lake, my pack had 6 days of food, and 6 liters of water, and probably ended up a little over 40lbs. I'm happy I had my seek pack, but i'd have much preferred a completely UL setup, to make the hiking miles easier. We hope to do the whole thing in the future, and I expect to have a full UL setup at that point.

The main point, cutting weight was the biggest opportunity to make the hike more enjoyable. It can certainly be done carrying more, but when you're thruhiking, so much of your day is spent hiking, that a lighter pack will only make the trip more enjoyable.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I’d definitely get a lighter pack if it was in the budget. You wouldn’t need the load hauling ability of a hunting pack. I feel like everything else would be mostly the same. I’m definitely a pack for comfort over total weight person though.

I want to do the PCT though I probably never will. I have a hyperlite bag I use for hikes with my kiddo and I really like it. That’s probably what I would go with to save weight. My mystery ranch glacier is probably three times the weight.

Same for the food. Less dehydrated meals and more “easy to build” meals. Big fan of Buffalo chicken in a pouch and ranch on a tortilla with cheese!

Would depend on food and water carry requirements. I think my exo pack is overall worth the added weight if my pack is gonna have say much more than 30lbs. If it were sub 30 most of the time, then dropping weight on the pack would work well for me.

I am Definitely a fan of a shoe if it’s all trail miles - something thick and cushioned - personally the Altra Olympus 5 has worked well for long trail days. I would also splurge on a cuben fiber tent like the Durston x mid pro 2 (that much use would make me feel the cost was worth it)- so light yet rummy and I wouldn’t be as concerned about the foot print size as I am hunting off trail with camp on my back.

peppy870

Lil-Rokslider
When we hike distance, we don’t carry anything not tested. Too much depends on stuff working. Find what works works for you and enjoy the miles!

Solitude

WKR
Just like hunting, invest in the proper equipment/gear for the task at hand or the day will probably come when you regret it. (The Andrew Skurka recommendation above is golden) If you don’t, I guarantee you will be changing out your gear part way through if you are truly doing a serious through hike.

Completed the JMT with my wife and children who were 13 and 11 a few years back. Never ran into a hiker that wished they had non UL equipment so long as they were using quality gear. (Cuben fiber not mandatory!)

I carried my hunting pack(way overkill) for the JMT and purchased UL packs for the family. I bought myself a UL pack immediately after for follow up adventures.

I think of it this way. I enjoy backpacking in the mountains more with a daypack vs 50#’s on my back given I have nothing to prove.

Now when DIY hunting…it’s a different story!

Just like hunting, invest in the proper equipment/gear for the task at hand or the day will probably come when you regret it. (The Andrew Skurka recommendation above is golden) If you don’t, I guarantee you will be changing out your gear part way through if you are truly doing a serious through hike.

Completed the JMT with my wife and children who were 13 and 11 a few years back. Never ran into a hiker that wished they had non UL equipment so long as they were using quality gear. (Cuben fiber not mandatory!)

I carried my hunting pack(way overkill) for the JMT and purchased UL packs for the family. I bought myself a UL pack immediately after for follow up adventures.

I think of it this way. I enjoy backpacking in the mountains more with a daypack vs 50#’s on my back given I have nothing to prove.

Now when DIY hunting…it’s a different story!
That's awesome you did that thru hike with your kids - mine are 3 and 7 and I hope to do a thru hike with them at some point.