In Reach vs Spot X

dla

WKR
I was surprised by the comment from dla that seemed to brush off the fact that the snowmobiler's Spot was defective and the SOS didn't work when he needed it. Whether it was one or two defective units, that's still a huge issue!
I didn't mean to brush it off - it is important. What I was trying to convey was the inaccurate reporting that two Spots failed - when one user didn't have an active subscription (supposed to check this stuff before heading out).
I would love to get more info on the failure. In fact, I'm tempted to trigger an SOS from my Gen 3 just to see if I get a phone call. I absolutely don't want to be carrying a talisman.
BTW, I've messaged the person whose leg was broken to find out what SPOT's failure analysis revealed. I'll share what I get.

Last edited:

Joelweb

FNG
Spot's 12 month required service plan and difficult deactivation process is enough to make me go elsewhere. You have to call them and request that it be deactivated and they put you through to someone else who tries to talk you out of it. The experience is worse than cancelling a credit card and made me want to never do business with them again.

Garmin on the other hand allows you to cancel and reactivate your subscription on a monthly basis and online. I'm much more satisfied now that I made the switch

jmez

WKR
is it really that bad? i want to get a mini but don't want to use it with a phone or apps or anything. just send preset messages, the occasional typed message and weather, that's it.
Yes really that bad.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

hikenhunt

WKR
...In fact, I'm tempted to trigger an SOS from my Gen 3 just to see if I get a phone call. I absolutely don't want to be carrying a talisman.
BTW, I've messaged the person whose leg was broken to find out what SPOT's failure analysis revealed. I'll share what I get.
He also mentioned they had him test the SOS while on the phone with a representative so there wasn't a false SOS sent. You could try that.
I think I remember him saying that all the other buttons/functions worked but the SOS didn't. I'd be interested to hear what he says.

WTFJohn

WKR
I used a inReach SE+ for 2.5 years, made the switch to the inReach mini this spring. I've probably got 40 days of backcountry use with the mini so far, and have had zero issues. Messages go out quickly (listen for the 'message sent' sound), for me that's been about 20-30 seconds. No issues with messages hanging up or being delayed on either end. InReach devices can be tested prior to trips (Garmin link) if you have any concerns. The inReach mini also pairs with my iPhone and my Garmin Instinct watch. The phone app gives me full mapping and messaging capabilities; the watch gives me the ability to read incoming messages, reply with the pre-set messages, and if needed trigger the SOS function. There isn't anything on the market that compares well to the mini in my experience/opinion.

OP
C

captchet

FNG
Just ordered my mini. 309.00 (reg 349) at Miyar Adventures. I missed the sale and called them. They restarted the sale for the next 12hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I type this I'm once again trying to update the required firmware on my Spot X.

These things are garbage. I got it when they first released in the spring of last year and from day one it was massive firmware issues. The first week the screen locked up and all the characters were in chinese and i couldnt even use the thing as intended when i was way offshore for a week.

The keyboard sucks and is anything from user friendly. It takes so long to type a message i hardly even bother.

HIGHLY do not recommend the Spot X.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
I used a inReach SE+ for 2.5 years, made the switch to the inReach mini this spring. I've probably got 40 days of backcountry use with the mini so far, and have had zero issues. Messages go out quickly (listen for the 'message sent' sound), for me that's been about 20-30 seconds. No issues with messages hanging up or being delayed on either end. InReach devices can be tested prior to trips (Garmin link) if you have any concerns. The inReach mini also pairs with my iPhone and my Garmin Instinct watch. The phone app gives me full mapping and messaging capabilities; the watch gives me the ability to read incoming messages, reply with the pre-set messages, and if needed trigger the SOS function. There isn't anything on the market that compares well to the mini in my experience/opinion.

That's been my experience too, I love my Mini so far. That 66i is something else for guys that want a full function GPS as well. I hate looking at maps on screens so I carry a 701, but I can definitely see the market.

Azscafe

FNG
I had one of the earlier generation Spot and subscribed for the first year at $100. Then I didn't need it for about 5 years and when I finally went to renew my subscription with Spot, they told me I had a back balance due of $500 because they tried to charge me each year even though I didn't renew my subscription during that time. No emails, no notices just kept trying to charge my card which I no longer had.

Garmin gpsmap 66i user here. Complete piece of crap. Buy a sat phone if communication is a concern. Not only is the device junk, Garmin support is third world quality. Great marketing, horrible product.
I love how people are swayed by 3rd hand horror stories and mindless fables.

The fact is that Garmin's InReach product line is the better mousetrap. But you're going to pay more for it.
Spot's SPOTX is pretty good and costs less.

And if you don't need 2-way communication - which 99.5% of people don't (but want it anyway), Spot Gen 3 is the best one-way messenger.

Since this is a pro-InReach board, you'll never hear about the multitude of InReach problems.

The fact is that devices, systems and users fail from time to time. Regardless of your choice, learn how to use it correctly, learn how to test it before you head out, and involve your loved ones in the education process.

Some bathroom reading material:
Personal Locator Information

I just want to focus on those two.

I'm an 11 year SPOT user - all 3 generations of messengers. I've hiked, fished and hunted all over Oregon and Idaho. I'm older now, family is raised, wife is still with me after 38 years and grandkids think I'm fun. I have no idea how many multi-day trips I've taken into wildernesses, but I've been "off grid" a lot and I frequently goof off in places with no cell service. Highly likely that I will "upgrade" to either InReach or SPOTX next year after my special service plan expires.

One of the things I've learned is that for me, probably because I'm special, Spot has been rock-solid reliable. I have tested the system more than most, and I'll gladly link to a bunch of YouTube videos showing how I did it and the results. So to say something like "the InReach flat out performs the Spot system" isn't gonna fly - I'm not some ignorant noob. Anybody can make unsupported statements like "Glock voids your warranty if you shoot cast bullets" - but saying it doesn't make it so.

Probably the most interesting thing I learned about providing loved ones with tracking/status info is that they never use it. Nobody ever opens the link I've added to look me up on the map. Nobody checks the tracking. What they want is the comfort of knowing I'm OK - and it is a very big deal to them. Only once did my family get nervous, and that was when I sent them a custom message saying I was OK, but running late. My son, (avid backpacker/hunter/fisher), in Idaho pulled up the webpage to check my track progress and then called my wife to reassure her that "he's on the wrong trail taking a weird way back so he's gonna be late. He's making progress so he's OK". Neither my wife or daughters had ever looked at the track info before - even though I made it a no-brainer. But I catch hell if I go somewhere and forget to take my SPOT.

So if I look at my average texting a day - probably less than 10 texts a day. When I'm on some lake with a grandkid, all folks want to know is that we're OK. Since my adventures are slightly higher risk (weather and isolation) my family is more concerned about my safety than getting ahold of me. Because of all this, for me 2-way is a "nice to have", not a necessity.

SPOT, InReach and PLB Info

I understand what you are saying that the Spot is good for most but I can tell you first hand that my wife checks the route several times a day to check that my son and I are still moving and if we aren't for too long I can expect a text either on my phone or inreach if she can't reach me on the phone checking to make sure we are ok.

Reactions: dla

dla

WKR
I understand what you are saying that the Spot is good for most but I can tell you first hand that my wife checks the route several times a day to check that my son and I are still moving and if we aren't for too long I can expect a text either on my phone or inreach if she can't reach me on the phone checking to make sure we are ok.
Only my son will look up where I'm at when he receives a "check in" message. And that's only if he thinks I might be somewhere interesting. None of my daughters will check the map unless I have one of their kids with me. And I had to add a bunch of other contact numbers to my emergency contact list because my wife doesn't answer her cell half the time.
So now I only do "check in" messages if I'm out on a multi-day trip. Otherwise I just leave the SPOT in Track mode all day long (batteries last forever) and they use the SPOT app to see where I'm at. I might send a "check in" message if I'm running late.
I use SPOT in such a way that my family is happy (99.9% of my motivation) and SAR can find me if something really bad happens.

OP
C

captchet

FNG
I purchased a mini and completed a 5 day solo hike where there was zero cell service. The unit worked flawlessly and made a point to check in with the wife in all different conditions like dark timber, heavy vegetation, overcast, bottoms of drainages, etc. Every msg went through and I received replies every time. Longest send time was maybe 60-79secs. Track mode was very comforting to the wife and kids. My son even did some e scouting based on my track and relayed some additional spots to check.

100% sold on Garmin in reach mini. Will never go out without it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk