Increasing Scope Travel

I mounted a Credo 2.5x15x42 on a Tikka 7 mag. After zeroing the scope I only have 6.75 MOA of vertical adjustment.

I have plenty of room to drop the scope with a different ring and base combination. This will bring the bore center closer to the scope center.

Will this increase my vertical MOA? Or will I need to go to a 20 MOA rail/ring?

OP
T
Burris zee rings…..mediums

It is holding zero and tracking correctly for 20 shots….. obviously that is a smaller sample size but repeatable

Seen that issue multiple times with Vortex which led to the Vortex band-aid: 20 MOA base.

Here's a couple of steps I've learned from Vortex when "troubleshooting" issues with their scopes:
1) On elevation, dial it up until it stop; do not force it. Count the number of clicks going down. Then do the same going up. Hopefully the numbers align. Divide by 4 (assuming MOA). That'll give you the theoretically elevation range for that scope.
2) On windage, dial it left until it stop; do not force it. Count the number of clicks going left. Then do the same going right. Hopefully the numbers align. Divide by 4 (assuming MOA). That'll give you the theoretically windage range for that scope.
3) Place scope against mirror and align elevation and windage until perfectly aligned with the crosshair.
4) Count the number of click remaining up and divide by 4 (assuming MOA). This is the useable elevation for your scope. This number is what remains for getting to a zero as well as the distance where your bullet no longer has enough velocity for reliable expansion.
5) Count the number of click remaining left and divide by 4 (assuming MOA). This is the useable left windage for your scope.
6) Re-align and count the number of click remaining right and divide by 4 (assuming MOA). This is the useable right windage for your scope.
7) Remount per instructions and zero your rifle. Hopefully you will have enough elevation to get to a zero as well as your target distance. If not, buy a 20 MOA base, reset the scope (Step 3), and then go zero.

OP
T
Yes the rifle is in MOA and yes the rifle has been fired and zeroed.

My original question still is……if I currently have a half an inch between the scope bell and rifle barrel will decreasing this distance give me more scope travel or less?

I could also swap the bases front to back and see if that fixes the problem as well although I am assuming they are not canted intentionally

I could also swap the bases front to back and see if that fixes the problem as well although I am assuming they are not canted intentionally
I was going to suggest that some bases might fit bolt pattern, but could be higher for one over the other depending on the rifle (I'm not familiar with Tikka). Be sure they're in the correct position. Most of my rifles the bases are NOT the same height, but they mostly have a different spacing for the mount screws also.

What base are they mounted to? Even if you had a 20 MOA base mounted backwards you should have more elevation adjustment than that!

Yes the rifle is in MOA and yes the rifle has been fired and zeroed.

My original question still is……if I currently have a half an inch between the scope bell and rifle barrel will decreasing this distance give me more scope travel or less?
It wont make a meaningful difference if it doesn't also fix whatever is currently wrong with your setup.
Depends what bases you are using but again, even a 20 MOA base put on backwards should result in you having more elevation travel than you're saying.

I'm not familiar with Trijicon, is it possible there is some zero stop or other function set up that is stopping the scope when there is more possible travel?

OP
T
There is a zero stop set but it was fine per the manual. I can’t remember the brand of bases but they are front and rear specific and have been in the rifle for 3 different scopes with no issue

The only new parts are scope and rings….I will take it apart at some point and re-mount it.

rbaney

FNG
Those rings have the eccentrics in them correct? Make sure you are using the 0 moa eccentrics which if new should be the only ones that came with them. But seeing as these are new I would reverify those are in fact the zero type. I just placed the same ones on my newest rifle. Good luck

OP
T
Specs say 100 MOA elevation so I have to have something wrong somewhere. It’s 20 MOA per revolution and only has 3 revolution lines showing.