International Hunt, need input

Sevens

WKR
I’m narrowing it all down and have engaged with Neal and Brownlee based on some feedback from members here. Tajikistan is looking to be the first choice. Curious if there’s a consensus of a rank order of places to hunt mid Asian Ibex; Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan or Tajikistan. Thanks for everyone’s time.
Big fan out Neal and Brownlee, have had great experiences when I’ve used them. Ask Greg for a picture of his blue sheep, it’s a monster.

In early 2020 I was in the process of lining up hunts for all 3 species of Tur. But alas, Covid, War and civil unrest have shut down Azerbijan and really complicated hunting anywhere else they could be hunted. Would also love to go back to Russia for another Snow Sheep - my Kamchatka trip was a blast. Hunted with Professional Russian Outfitters - had a great trip and a took a fantastic ram. Was in the process of setting up Yakutia Sheep when war broke out. According to Max he recently had an American hunter and the Russian government is still issuing Tourist Visas (for hunting) to Americans. However, with the current tensions and volatility I haven‘t been able to talk myself into pulling the trigger on going back.

Just to introduce another option, Caprinae Safaris (know many who’ve hunted with them) offer great adventures for Sind Ibex and/or Punjab Urial in Pakistan; or Altai/Gobi Ibex in Mongolia.

OP
Sierra Hunter
In early 2020 I was in the process of lining up hunts for all 3 species of Tur. But alas, Covid, War and civil unrest have shut down Azerbijan and really complicated hunting anywhere else they could be hunted. Would also love to go back to Russia for another Snow Sheep - my Kamchatka trip was a blast. Hunted with Professional Russian Outfitters - had a great trip and a took a fantastic ram. Was in the process of setting up Yakutia Sheep when war broke out. According to Max he recently had an American hunter and the Russian government is still issuing Tourist Visas (for hunting) to Americans. However, with the current tensions and volatility I haven‘t been able to talk myself into pulling the trigger on going back.

Just to introduce another option, Caprinae Safaris (know many who’ve hunted with them) offer great adventures for Sind Ibex and/or Punjab Urial in Pakistan; or Altai/Gobi Ibex in Mongolia.
Great suggestions on on those last ones, I think I’m looking for the allure of big mountains and the terrain of Azerbaijan and the pamirs speak to that until I can chase blue sheep in Nepal. The wife and I talked and she’s supportive and we both have settled on ibex being a good test to see if I’ll truly love this experience from a perceived value perspective, $/adventure. I say that because I love hunting and adventure but typically am not the best traveler.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Made the decision, going to Tajikistan this fall and I’m feeling the excitement which I don’t typically do until I’m there so I’ll take it as a good sign. Want to say thank you to @Cactus kid as his guidance was very helpful. Now time to make sure the rifle is dialed and figure out how I’m going to survive the cold. San Diego weather likely won’t translate well.

Tagging alone here to hear about the adventure. Not sure I can handle such an adventure physically anymore. Those days are done.

Mid Asian ibex and Greg Brownlee is facilitating. Headed out in the first week of November
The Pamir Mountains in Tajikistan are some of the highest on the planet. Don’t know if you’ve ever hunted at extreme high elevation before. Some claim significant benefit from anti-hypoxia training prior to going, and my doctor recommended beginning an acetazolamide regimen prior to ascending. Best to be prepared.

OP
Sierra Hunter
The Pamir Mountains in Tajikistan are some of the highest on the planet. Don’t know if you’ve ever hunted at extreme high elevation before. Some claim significant benefit from anti-hypoxia training prior to going, and my doctor recommended beginning an acetazolamide regimen prior to ascending. Best to be prepared.
I do some mountaineering and spend time on our 14teeners here in the lower 48. I’ve been lucky enough to not have a negative reaction to altitude but I’ve heard that can change. Appreciate the insight, I plan to spend more time than usual this summer backpacking just to make sure it continues to not be an issue.

We went to Zermatt. I was fine with the excessive altitude. But surprisingly my wife was not, and she's in better shape than I am. She just did not acclimate.

From what I saw, the average trophy size seemed better in Kazakh.

While I was in Camp, the smallest Ibex was mid 40s, biggest was 50"(8 Ibex shot while I was there).
If you wanted it, there was definitely an opportunity to take a 50" class Ibex there without too much work looking.
From guys I know who have hunted Tajik and Krygz the average seemed much smaller, the hunts in those countries are generally tougher, so I think this may reflect the average hunters 'ability' to operate well in that tougher environment(higher altitude, more basic camps, harder weather etc). Granted there is a chance to kill a big billy everywhere, but the average gives a better view of what to expect.

If you go Kazakh, you can add on a Maral, and those are some beautiful big Elk in a cool setting.
The ibex in Tajik (mid-asian Pamir) are definitely smaller than ones found in Kyrg or Kaz. I havent hunted Kaz but both my hunts in Kyrg have been great. Lots of ibex and took a 42 inch 12 year old first hunt and a 51 inch 10 year old second. Locals were great on both trips as I hunted two totally different regions. Also took an argali second hunt which was the main reason for the trip but I couldnt resist another ibex.
Dont overlook the Mongolian ibex (Gobi & Altay) Mongolia is a great adventure.
I will say I'm with C. Kid when it comes to blue sheep. Mine was an unbelievable experience in Pakistan!

Attachments

• kyrgibex1.png
    kyrgibex1.png
    507.7 KB · Views: 54
  • old phone pics 609.JPG
    old phone pics 609.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 54

Hollywood

FNG
I’m narrowing it all down and have engaged with Neal and Brownlee based on some feedback from members here. Tajikistan is looking to be the first choice. Curious if there’s a consensus of a rank order of places to hunt mid Asian Ibex; Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan or Tajikistan. Thanks for everyone’s time.
Kazhak typically has the biggest ibex, Kyrgyz second and Tajik last. although the WR was killed in Tajik, that was a special circumstance and the hunter probably dropped a huge sum to hunt in the Park.

For price and ease of travel Kyrgyz is often regarded as the easiest, though I have concerns about export permits.

I killed mine in Tajik and a 40" billy is a good one for that area but not a "big ibex" by any means. I know there is an area much closer to Dushanbe to hunt that wouldn't require the 16 hour jeep ride. But I don't know who is booking for that "ibex only" camp, there are no Marco Polo there. If you're goign all the way to Tajik, you might as well hunt an area where you can see the rams even if you can't afford to shoot one.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Kazhak typically has the biggest ibex, Kyrgyz second and Tajik last. although the WR was killed in Tajik, that was a special circumstance and the hunter probably dropped a huge sum to hunt in the Park.

For price and ease of travel Kyrgyz is often regarded as the easiest, though I have concerns about export permits.

I killed mine in Tajik and a 40" billy is a good one for that area but not a "big ibex" by any means. I know there is an area much closer to Dushanbe to hunt that wouldn't require the 16 hour jeep ride. But I don't know who is booking for that "ibex only" camp, there are no Marco Polo there. If you're goign all the way to Tajik, you might as well hunt an area where you can see the rams even if you can't afford to shoot one.
That closer area I recently heard those ibex were recently defined as a new sub species.

OP
Sierra Hunter

What month of the year did you hunt, and were you looking over a bunch to find yours/was it the best you saw by a long shot?