International Hunt, need input

the hack

WKR
I do some mountaineering and spend time on our 14teeners here in the lower 48. I’ve been lucky enough to not have a negative reaction to altitude but I’ve heard that can change. Appreciate the insight, I plan to spend more time than usual this summer backpacking just to make sure it continues to not be an issue.
Many physicians will prescribe acetazolamide. Given the costs (emotional and financial) of our trips I'd take a course of AZH a couple weeks in advance of the trip. Occasionally the side effects of AZH can mimic symptoms of altitude sickness. As you alluded, AMS symptoms can be idiosyncratic so premedication ain't a bad idea. Godspeed on your fantastic trip!

Suera

FNG
Many physicians will prescribe acetazolamide. Given the costs (emotional and financial) of our trips I'd take a course of AZH a couple weeks in advance of the trip. Occasionally the side effects of AZH can mimic symptoms of altitude sickness. As you alluded, AMS symptoms can be idiosyncratic so premedication ain't a bad idea. Godspeed on your fantastic trip!
Yes DIMOX really works but in some people have side effects, then talk with your doctor and before to go take it at home to know if it had bad effects in you, if it hasn't you can take it in your trip.
But in my opinion for mid asian ibex hunting you don't need it, altitude effects usually appears at more altitude...

OP
Sierra Hunter
I don’t anticipate having any issues, never have and I do some climbing here that takes me to 13-14k. I’ve seen it take down some friends though and it doesn’t look fun, usually around that 12k mark

Hollywood

FNG
What month of the year did you hunt, and were you looking over a bunch to find yours/was it the best you saw by a long shot?
Both times, went in mid-December.

The first hunt, I missed a billy about 43-44" inches at extreme yardage, which was the biggest I saw, never saw him again. Killed the next best billy out of the same group 4 days later on the same hunt, longest shot of my life. Probably saw 300 ibex total, of those about, about 30 billies. The ibex hunt was secondary to Marco Polo which I was the cameraman, so we spent 8 days focused on sheep and my hunt was never the primary focus. I'm very happy to have taken a billy.

The 2nd hunt, again, I was the camera guy and my hunter shot a 37" billy on day 1 of hunting as it was not the primary focus and he was not concerned with trophy quality, a representative mature billy was all he was interested in.

If ibex is the focus and export permits are available, I would go to Kazakhstan or Kyrgystan. The billies are bigger and the guides are more focused on getting quality ibex. Tajik ibes are usually just an add-on or what the observer shoots and the focus is almost always on the Marco Polo so the guides can squeeze you for the biggest possible tip for the sheep.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Both times, went in mid-December.

The first hunt, I missed a billy about 43-44" inches at extreme yardage, which was the biggest I saw, never saw him again. Killed the next best billy out of the same group 4 days later on the same hunt, longest shot of my life. Probably saw 300 ibex total, of those about, about 30 billies. The ibex hunt was secondary to Marco Polo which I was the cameraman, so we spent 8 days focused on sheep and my hunt was never the primary focus. I'm very happy to have taken a billy.

The 2nd hunt, again, I was the camera guy and my hunter shot a 37" billy on day 1 of hunting as it was not the primary focus and he was not concerned with trophy quality, a representative mature billy was all he was interested in.

If ibex is the focus and export permits are available, I would go to Kazakhstan or Kyrgystan. The billies are bigger and the guides are more focused on getting quality ibex. Tajik ibes are usually just an add-on or what the observer shoots and the focus is almost always on the Marco Polo so the guides can squeeze you for the biggest possible tip for the sheep.
Appreciate the insight, from what I’ve heard from Greg is that we’re going to an ibex only part of the Pamirs. So hopefully we’ll end up seeing more mature billies than what you experienced. Will report back.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Also curious what kind of weather you saw or insight in gear you were glad or wished you had.

aussiehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the insight, from what I’ve heard from Greg is that we’re going to an ibex only part of the Pamirs. So hopefully we’ll end up seeing more mature billies than what you experienced. Will report back.
Since you already booked your hunt,my comment is kind of irrelevant but i am heading to Kazakhatan next year in late October with Pro hunt Kazakhstan. Everyone i spoke with has always said if your primary focus is Ibex, then Kazakhstan is the destination as they do grow big here. Size wise from past hunters i spoke with was from 125cm to 135cm. ( 49 inches to 54 inches ) , they seem to follow this trend as most photos i see each season from them they get over the 50 inches mark.

Best of luck on your hunt and wish you all the best