Iron will broadhead through my leg

agood2255

FNG
If you don’t want to see blood look away!!

Last August I was preparing for my upcoming elk hunt and had a nightmare mistake. I had both Cutthroat and Iron Will broadheads and I wanted to test to see which flew closest to my field points. I shot a few rounds and Iton Will was the clear winner. I was doing one last group of three, first one IW one inch left at 50, cutthroat 2in low at 50, and I was just about to shoot the field point and it just came out of let off as I’m in the trigger pull and I sail it right over the target. There is a tree about three yards behind the target and I saw the arrow hit it it. So in my rush to find my arrow I walk around my target, looking at the eye level branch to see if there was an indication which direction the arrow went. Not realizing that the IW is sticking 20+ inches out the back of the target (the cutthroat being out an inch is what happens every other time). Grazed my leg on it and it felt like someone kicked me in the shin. So I looked down and my leg was covered in blood. I hit the floor and called my wife to bring out gauze. Within a few minutes there was a puddle of blood under me and I was on my way to the ER. Found out it severed two tendons and they had to put them back together to keep my lateral stability. The surgeon told my wife how impressive the cut was, and that it was essentially a surgical cut that was much easier to fix than expected. A few months later I was walking and back in the woods. Had to miss the elk hunt, but overall I’m lucky! Biggest take always 1. Do not take it lightly when you are handling broadheads. 2. With the right broadhead you quite literally do not feel it. 2. The single bevel does try to turn through muscle, trust me 3. IW makes one heck of a product. 3. Always carry an adequate med kit with you hunting!

IMG_4574.jpeg

IMG_6147.pngIMG_2058.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6148.png
    IMG_6148.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4575.jpeg
    IMG_4575.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 97
Wow! What type of broadhead? Good to hear you were out an about walking again shortly after. I sliced my “knee pit” gutting my first deer last year no tendons or stitches but a lot of blood, your pictures are going to make me up my first aid kit.

Wow, I'm glad you made a quick recovery. Got a fairly good first aid kit but this makes me think I could benefit from a first aid class. May finally convince myself to try some IW's as well.

11boo

WKR
Even I could follow that blood trail! Glad you recovered, see ya in September.
good reminder to go thru my med kit. Stuff is in there to treat something like that, and some of that stuff is old.

Grundy53

WKR
Wow! That's looks awful. Glad you healed up. I'm sold on iron wills. This reminds me I need to get a tourniquet and an Israeli bandage for my first aid kit...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! That's looks awful. Glad you healed up. I'm sold on iron wills. This reminds me I need to get a tourniquet and an Israeli bandage for my first aid kit...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Yep, a good time for a public service announcement.

Everybody out there claiming 35lbs packs for 7-day elk hunts, pay attention :LOL:

I keep a RATS tourniquet and a couple of packs of QuikClot in the very top pocket of my pack. Consider the RATS if you are in the market for one, they are good.

Dang man that’s a bad wound. I started carrying a trauma kit after I bought iron will broadheads! Lol Hope I never have to use it.

Stickmark

FNG
Thanks for sharing the images. I have seriously beefed up my first aid kit, and one reason is that I bow hunt.

11boo

WKR
Any decent BH will open you up. I could see how easily that could happen, mine stick way thru the target too.