Is Camo necessary?

snipe10

FNG
Going to pick up a Kuiu Yukon rain jacket. I normally get everything in Vias camo but saw the Bourbon color. I'm thinking I'll get more use out of it in non hunting situations where camo might bring unwanted attention. Is camo that necessary even when hunting? I get it when bow hunting but otherwise, do you really need it?

Me too. It's easier for me to justify solids which I can use for everyday wear vs camo which I typically don't wear while out. Camo is not necessary for me atleast for big game hunting.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
Out West, not needed.
Here in the East where even most rifle shots are at archery ranges
it surely doesnt hurt.
I will usually wear some camo.

As has been said by others, i think certain types of camo and fabric can help for bow hunting and turkeys. But for rifle distances, earth colors are fine. Even mixing earth colors like brown pants, green jacket, and a grey pack with black shoulder straps will break up your outline plenty well at a distance. I have done that while hiking or birdwatching in countries where camo is illegal and where I didn't want to attract attention from humans by wearing camo but still blend into the environment and be hard to see at a distance.

Even archery hunting, camo isn't necessary.

I've seen the "but I was wearing x brand camo one time and had deer come up to me wondering what I was!!" stories, and I have the exact same stories wearing solids with whitetails repeatedly approaching me(while glassing!). Mule deer not caring one bit if I'm walking along with them at ~20-30 yards in the wide open.

Before its questioned, all public land where tags are OTC so it isn't like they don't see pressure.

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think it matters.

I’ve been busted in camo and not in camo and didn’t seem to make a difference. movement/wind seems to matter 100x more than what you’re wearing.

I usually wear camo on top bc I like the patterns. Look good, feel good, confidence etc.

One of my hunting partners never wears camo. He’s stalked into the same animals as me several times with no problems.

Camo isn't as important as breaking up your shape. More for close quarters, but also amazing how far an animal can see. I don't wear dark colored camo hunting in light colored terrain and vice versa, but so long as the contrast is about right and the pattern is broken up, you're fine.

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
Big game? No. Wind and movement are to your detriment

Waterfowl and turkey? Maybe.

utahkid39

FNG
I think solids probably work just as well as camo does, play the wind right and it shouldnt matter what you are wearing