Is Camo necessary?

ZackP

WKR
Camo doesn’t matter. Wind is the most important.

Some detergents give off UV glow, I’ve read a few places some big game animals can pick that up like a light bulb.

I’ve been switching to some solids with a few camo pieces incorporated. I also don’t “match” colors or shades. Grey bottoms, tan top, brown gloves etc. Just built your own camo and you didn’t even realize it. It’s harder to see different shades than it is to see one big grey blob wandering around.

They have the green Yukon in the outlet fyi.

The Yukon stuff gets really dark when the face fabric is wet either way.

When I buy hunting clothing it is with a mindset of multi-use.
The same shirt, pant, jacket I might use during muzzleloader season will undoubtedly get used while waterfowling, turkey hunting,
Camo might not matter to a rifle hunter, but it does in other pursuits- bow hunting etc.
I actually think people spend big money on hunting clothing solely to walk around town in it. That puffy jacket probably sees more choir recitals than ridge lines. And that is fine if that is what you want to do with it. I just find that while hunting in clothing it tends to get dirty and worn out in ways I do not want it to do double duty at public functions. .02c

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Been using less and less camo in recent years even as bowhunter. Primarily shoot a stick bow so all of my deer have been under 20 yards the last few years. Shot a deer this year in early season at 5 yards in a green patagonia sun hoody and a pair of stretch zions. Can't recall getting busted or picked off on outfit alone. Like said above, play the wind, don't get caught moving.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
The older I get the more solids I wear. I think movement and scent is the bigger issue. Hell I've killed some pretty damn good animals in my underwear at camp and I'm pale. Then again maybe because of my non-camo pasty appearance and the scent of granola, the animals thought I was another eco-hippy traipsing about the mountains and assumed I wasn't a threat.

Going to pick up a Kuiu Yukon rain jacket. I normally get everything in Vias camo but saw the Bourbon color. I'm thinking I'll get more use out of it in non hunting situations where camo might bring unwanted attention. Is camo that necessary even when hunting? I get it when bow hunting but otherwise, do you really need it?
No - 100% no. When I see guys decked out in KUIU or FL or Sitka camo rifle hunting I laugh. I think it is super overrated, even for bow hunting. They will smell you before they see you most of the time, even without camo.

qb4life07

FNG
I've been using earthen tone solids for 5+ years put west and here in Appalachia. Thinking of getting a mesh leafy top, asat or first lite to run for turkey and deer. Otherwise my solids have done well!

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a leafy suit I can throw on over anything. No need to buy expensive camo rain gear that I can't wear for other things.

Blazin67

FNG
basically a fashion statement, it looks cool! A deer at 200 yards don't care if you have on camo or a flannel...always play the wind and thermals, far more important than camo.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Firm believer that movement and scent are number one issues. Prefer 100% camo but totally laughing at all the overthinking on this. Kind of like “must shoot at 1200 yard minimum” with ellkazooka w camo wrapped suppressor wearing sunglasses up on flatbill while wearing solids and ninja turtle briefs w molle option.
Do gloves need to match too, asking for a friend.

Some of you are saying you need it for bow hunting…do you really?

I sat out in the open in a field edge once where I’m very confident my ASAT leafy suit made a difference to break up my outline and made me successful.

But that was ONE time only out of a thousand hunts….

So is an ASAT leafy suit really camo or a mobile personal wearable blind? That’s maybe another debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j33

WKR
If it’s the same price (Kuiu) and you’re using it for hunting only go camo all the way. Hides stains better and it’s obviously camo…

That said most my stuff is solids as I used it around town too in order to help justify the steep price.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a pic of me hunting whitetails in a black SmartWool tee - brown KUIU tiburon pants, and a pair of bright La Sportivas. A deer walks DIRECTLY under my stand.

Wind and movement - camo is for fun ..and hey that’s ok to

Attachments

• 105F3D6E-1A63-4D01-8311-B10DC8F55C4F.png
    105F3D6E-1A63-4D01-8311-B10DC8F55C4F.png
    398.7 KB · Views: 41
I personally think that camo is for the hunter first and the animals don’t care. Earth tones, keep still and don’t stink too much. Maybe for waterfowl if you’re really into it or turkey but I’ve hunted both on occasion successfully without. I was actually thinking it’d be fun to try this years deer season in a red plaid shirt just to see if it still works.

Nope.
But some of the best options for comfort while hunting come in camo.

I can disagree as function and comfort with Sitka and FL are key for me. Wind resistance (Gore), water resistance are all a premium I’ll pay for.

But good old fashioned wool is right up there with the best of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk