Is Camo necessary?

My first bow kill, I was in Blue jeans and a tee shirt. Had just hiked in on a hot day, carried in camo coveralls, but was not yet fully dressed. I believe the young Buck died of embarrassment.

Now, I always wear Kuiu and similar, out of respect to the animal. ;)

pk_

WKR
In most situations and for most of the animals we hunt, it doesn’t move the needle at all.

But for a few species and circumstances it can be extremely important and the ASAT 3D leafy jacket has been magic for those clutch scenarios for me personally.

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard if you wear all matching Sitka or Kuiu your chances at a 200" muley or a 350" bull are way higher than a guy wearing solids.
I always joke with my duck hunting buddies on slow days that the ducks saw we weren’t wearing enough Sitka to decoy in. Might need to spring for the sitka boxers this year if we want to shoot anything.

EdP

WKR
My hunting buddy from central Ky, who unfortunately passed last Sept weeks before our scheduled Wy MD hunt, never wore camo. He was always in a plaid shirt and green britches with suspenders. Very much a late 1800's early 1900's look. Every year he would take a great buck with his flintlock rifle, plus a few does. He had also taken several black bears and an elk.

WKR

WKR
I always joke with my duck hunting buddies on slow days that the ducks saw we weren’t wearing enough Sitka to decoy in. Might need to spring for the sitka boxers this year if we want to shoot anything.
Try this thing out if you want to shoot limits

Attachments

• urG9ty7.png
    urG9ty7.png
    537.3 KB · Views: 30

ppumil

FNG
Lets do some fun facts. Deer are color blind. Do you really need camo. NO.
Turkeys have excellent color vision and have much better eye sight than we do thus Mossy Oak made color camo to go turkey hunting in Mississippi.
This industry is build on some great advertising and other crap. The materials they advertise are BS also. Another fun scientific fact is you cannot be breathable and waterproof. Goretex has lived on a lie and made billions off it. God only knows how many other BS things they have out there claiming all kind of stuff.
The plaid pattern is a natural break up pattern and is fine actually; Darn those old timers knew their @@@@. these other high tech patterns do not get you much. Maybe that HEX think with a shield around you and then you can run up to em and stab em.

kordo

FNG
I'm working in Michigan right now and most of my hunting gear is from when I lived in Colorado. I bow hunt, turkey hunt, duck hunt, basically all the very visual forms of hunting, in drab color clothing and have no issues. I am 100% convinced that camo isn't necessary. I buy tan and green gear from climbing companies so I'm not buying 2 sets of gear for mountaineering and hunting.

SonnyDay

WKR
Solids are very "in" these days fashion-wise...

I agree camo is not needed for rifle hunting big game. You may also get more mileage out of solids if you intend to wear it around town.

I hunt turkey as well as big game... and can't afford separate outfits for different animals. So I hunt whatever I am hunting in my technical clothing (and rain gear, as needed)... which happens to be (mostly) camo.

Sometimes it is nice to not be seen by other humans, and camo is generally better for that.

If you must laugh at me when I am big game hunting in my camo... just be quiet about it so you don't spook the elk!

After shooting a doe that was looking at me the year before last on opening day while wearing a white shirt sleeve t shirt and tan Eddie Bauer hiking pants. I have come to the conclusion that camo is for the hunter in most cases. Since then I rarely wear camo pants unless it’s cold because what I have is warmer than my hiking pants but no where near as comfortable. I also now wear my 9” Denali hunting boots instead of my rubber boots over 90% of the time and only wear the rubber boots in wet conditions. Haven’t used scent eliminators in about 15 years either. Amazing the shit I bought into years ago as primarily a whitetail archery hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
The previous posters have it covered.

One thing to add: it would be a good idea to avoid wearing solid colors (similar to the animals you or others may be hunting) during the rifle season, for safety reasons.

Tan jacket, rifle elk hunting = bad idea.
Brown jacket, rifle deer hunting = bad idea.
White jacket, rifle goat/sheep hunting = bad idea.
Melanin jacket, woman hunting = bad idea(?).
Just checking if anyone reads this post.

Last edited:
I disagree…. It is an asset that can compensate for an unfavorable wind, motion, sounds, or a calf elk getting spooked. Getting the right camouflage for the duration of a days travel seems impossible.

Hunting birds I think it’s Super necessary. (I try not to believe everything I think)
It definitely doesn’t compensate for unfavorable wind 🤣🤣. Tough to read sarcasm, but I am guessing this was sarcastic…

I mean why would you not wear camo all the time?

Pros
1. Breaks up your pattern
2. Looks cool
3. Appropriate in any social setting
4. Let's everyone know that you're a big time hunter

Cons
1. Strange women constantly trying to leave with your expensive hoodies in the morning.

Seeknelk

WKR
I disagree…. It is an asset that can compensate for an unfavorable wind, motion, sounds, or a calf elk getting spooked. Getting the right camouflage for the duration of a days travel seems impossible.

Hunting birds I think it’s Super necessary. (I try not to believe everything I think)
Yeah...I was just being silly. But obviously not necessary but can help. And why not wear camo on granola hikes or to town for dinner? Works perfect there also😁