Is my school allowed to do this?

Dunndm

WKR
Hmm... Sounds like they are attempting to help spread awareness? But I doubt kids will actually be fully aware and comprehend what is going on. A lot of them will wear it cause they want to go along with people. Some will rebel just purely out of being at that age...
Its choosing a side and sounds like it might cause more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the administration is allowing a student to make a statement to other students? Don't see a problem with that at all and I don't see it as picking sides either.

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
Kids here walked out last week and got suspended.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
It's a pretty obvious abuse of the influence and power a teacher has over students.

I live in Kentucky, just a few hours away from Marshall County High School where a student went on a shooting spree, killing 2 and wounding 18. Around here, they set up donations and wore the MCHS colors at the sporting events to show there support for the school. I guess my point is, a walk out, is for the students walking out. It's so they can try and make some sort of statement, not to show support. Sounds to me, the student who wrote the letter just wants to disrupt school and will use the guise of "making a statement" to get it done.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Murdy

WKR
Ordinarily, standing in solidarity with those who have suffered some tragedy would not be problematic. Due to the intense politics surrounding the gun issue, this certainly seems like picking a side. I think I would be more circumspect if I were a school official.

Last edited:
We were provided with notices from our school district regarding the process for having our children conduct a walk out, which was the first I had heard of the affair. Honestly, I felt that my Kindergardener and my First grader didn't need to be involved.

Glad to see push back from other schools regarding politically motivated attempts at awareness. The whole thing is just silly when you consider that school shootings account for VERY little to child mortality when compared to fatalities due to traffic accidents and illnesses.

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
Also the problem with kids walking out up here, very few knew it was even happening, teachers and staff didn’t know what was going on, and kids even said most were just walking out to get out of class and had no idea what the walkout was about.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Where was the sides part? They want to end school violence, which both "sides" want. Did I miss were they were endorsing with methods and thus a "side"?

I guess you missed the part about supporting making more gun laws and you obviously haven't bothered to research who started this walkout and what their objective is - it's a political action group started by USA Today.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
To my knowledge this was not written by a student. There was an announcement during class, by our principal, to send a representative from each class to the auditorium. I sent one of my students down there. She came back to the class saying she was told to read it out loud to the class. I don't know who told. I'll ask on Monday.

I believe this is nationwide. My wife is a teacher here in WA and their school is doing it too. I'm totally against it and hope the other teachers don't treat her poorly when she doesn't walk out with them to push for more needless gun laws. It's time to stand up to the libtards.

This is exactly why my kids went to Christian schools. No protests, no walk-outs, hell...they even caught and expelled the kids taking and selling drugs.

sndmn11

WKR
To my knowledge this was not written by a student. There was an announcement during class, by our principal, to send a representative from each class to the auditorium. I sent one of my students down there. She came back to the class saying she was told to read it out loud to the class. I don't know who told. I'll ask on Monday.

Thanks for clarifying. I would have my students write a research paper on the topic of their choice concerning current politics, and tell them that the grade will be mostly attributed to their citing of sources properly, and what efforts they put into vetting the information.

This is exactly why my kids went to Christian schools. No protests, no walk-outs, hell...they even caught and expelled the kids taking and selling drugs.
My kids go to Catholic schools. I'm not Catholic, but my ex-wife is. And don't think that just because the kids go to a private school, it excludes them from being political. My kids "have" to participate in the March for Life walks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk