Is this a nice Ram?

WKR
For a younger ram, he sure looks like he was a scrapper!

Low country S32?

Original question, I'd put him low 160s. His mass thins out pretty quick.
Based on the radio collar tracking studies in 32 they seem to go from high to low a lot. One thing I noticed through months of scouting there was a pneumonia infection rate of 30-40%. Its rather heart breaking watching rams coughing in one place for several minutes. Especially when they are in groups of 8-20 and you know they are spreading it through the herd.

I think those who are considering applying in S32 should be aware that the older age class rams have been pretty decimated by this and I don't think it bodes well for the next 2-5 years. In all those months of scouting I saw 3 lambs. They are losing the young and the old rapidly in there.

S32 has had low lamb recruitment for many years. At least since the early 2000s. There are many things the CDOW could enact to bring that herd back to where it was. The first being dump the rifle hunts in there.

Believe it or not, S32 was an old archery only unit. If you look at the list of big rams taken from there, most (not all) were pre-rifle days. S32 has some major issues, probably the biggest is urbanization and development slicing through the unit. It can't be good. It is kind of sad to remember what that unit was, and what it is now. Sure, it's never been known for big rams, but it was known for a ton of sheep, a sheep factory if you will. One could say the "Gem" unit of Colorado especially for archers. Mention Georgetown to almost anyone, and the world was synonymous with "Bighorns" Sadly it's not that way any longer.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
S32 has had low lamb recruitment for many years. At least since the early 2000s. There are many things the CDOW could enact to bring that herd back to where it was. The first being dump the rifle hunts in there.

Believe it or not, S32 was an old archery only unit. If you look at the list of big rams taken from there, most (not all) were pre-rifle days. S32 has some major issues, probably the biggest is urbanization and development slicing through the unit. It can't be good. It is kind of sad to remember what that unit was, and what it is now. Sure, it's never been known for big rams, but it was known for a ton of sheep, a sheep factory if you will. One could say the "Gem" unit of Colorado especially for archers. Mention Georgetown to almost anyone, and the world was synonymous with "Bighorns" Sadly it's not that way any

Believe it or not, S32 was an old archery only unit. If you look at the list of big rams taken from there, most (not all) were pre-rifle days. S32 has some major issues, probably the biggest is urbanization and development slicing through the unit. It can't be good. It is kind of sad to remember what that unit was, and what it is now. Sure, it's never been known for big rams, but it was known for a ton of sheep, a sheep factory if you will. One could say the "Gem" unit of Colorado especially for archers. Mention Georgetown to almost anyone, and the world was synonymous with "Bighorns" Sadly it's not that way any longer.
While urbanization and sprawl are issues... I firmly believe disease prevalence and chronic shedders are the most current and direct threats that herd faces.

Here is one from CO that survived alot of seasons. He really changed over the years once he broomed. I think if someone would have got him the year this was taken, he would have been pushing mid to upper 180s.

Attachments

• image (14).png
    image (14).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 47