I've given up on brats

Why go through the trouble of stuffing that delicious meat into casings? Brat patties from now on for me. Faster, easier and just as delicious.
100% agree. This is all we did this year and we have really enjoyed the patties so far. I am doing another batch this coming weekend with mushrooms and high temp swiss.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I don't stuff my polish sausage or brats anymore. I roll them out in a big tube-like structure, cut to length and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze. They grill and cook up just like they were in a case without that pesky stuffing step.

Pdzoller

WKR
I love cooking with casings, nice and slow. Just hot enough that I can see the meat bubbling inside the casing. All they need is sauerkraut, horseradish mustard and a little mayo. I’m going to have to try some patties for burger night though.

Bluumoon

WKR
Are you using the fake casings?
Natural are usually not a problem.
I tried the fake and felt like I needed to get a chain saw to get through it.

Kris
Natural casings. Soak overnight, rinse well. Still chewy. Didn’t know if it is a casing brand issue, or cooking issue.

Agross

WKR
We’ve used natural casings for years and never had a problem with em. After cooking them they almost fall apart. We tried the artificial ones one time. They sucked. As far as brats vs patties we love em both.
It started when we were done doing brats one time and had about two pounds of meat left and no more casings. We pattied em up and cooked em right then. They were delicious. So now when we make brats we do patties as well.

I don't mind the stuffy step, but how do you prevent chewy casings?....
My first ones were chewy.
Seems grilling or on the top shelf of the air fryer and they come out fine.
Just finished 59#, plain, cheddar and Pepper jack.
About 60# more to do...........unless I get a cow elk :)

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Our family enjoys making sausages, brats. And with a moose there is plenty of meat for different tastes. Sweet Italian sausages are my favorite. And brats right up there. I like to use the course grind meat. We use pork suit or pork front shoulder roast cut up to add into the moose meat. And use natural casings. The liquid packaging, not the dry ones. Rinse with cool water and slide them on to the stuffing cone. Adding in ground up jalapeño peppers really hops up the flavor.
We raise meat rabbits and may try mixing the rabbit entrails, liver heart and kidneys with the moose meat as a way to use everything.
The last brats we did was moose meat with blueberry black bear fat. Those were some juicy brats and tasted pretty good too

If the natural casings are chewy it could be because they aren’t stuffed tight enough or
Not quite cooked enough. Some casings are different from animal to animal. Sheep vs pork vs beef. Collagen casings aren’t “fake” they are a by product from animals but are made differently. Other casings are made to be peeled off after cooking like a hot dog. I like to make a fresh hot dog like a bratwurst but I call them franks. Another option if you wanted to invest the money is buy a Colissimo’s press. You can make pressed sausages, hb patties, sausage patties, jerky, etc all skinless.

GoatPackr

WKR
I got a good chorizo recipe off a you tube video.
It was a heavy set mexican woman. Mixed everything with her hands.
I figured it had to be good. It is.

Brats recipe was a fat guy on youtube.

Two for two so far.
Never trust a skinny cook.

We've been wanting to make chorizo. Any chance you could share that recipe. Pm works if you don't want to hijack this thread.

Kris

The only thing I change is I don't add the ancho chili. I don't like that flavor.

This isn't very hot/spicy. She tells what to add if you like it hotter.