Judging Nebraska Elk

Hello all, new here but have browsed from time to time. I drew a Nebraska bull tag this year and am super excited, only 10 days until archery opener! I live in Nebraska elk country but am not an elk hunter, but I have shot a cow in Utah before. I'm mainly a waterfowl and turkey guy. With all that said I'm looking for your thoughts on some of the bulls I've been getting on camera. I've heard from some that say they are shooters and others that say they are still small. I'm not looking for a 400" bull, but I don't want to shoot a 285" bull unless the season is winding down.
This guy has three beams it appears.
ZObZAMhh.jpg

vuM6a81h.jpg

7hceb62h.jpg

This is the very first elk I got on camera this summer, he had a lot of growing left so I would really like to see him again, he just hasn't shown up.
rBVkRUuh.jpg

Wish the first pic was a little closer. Same location in second pic the elk knocked the cam on the ground but I still got a pic.
MiW6IHMh.jpg

VejYC71h.jpg

Would like a better look at this guy too as it's been a month almost since I've seen him.
r9XpJNeh.jpg

Same elk, two angles, hard telling on him.
88I8ByOh.jpg

qZRZtcoh.jpg

wytx

WKR
Body on that 3 rd bull is a tank, wish you could see what he has for the other points. He looks most mature to me on body size but the bulls(2) in the corn look interesting.
Corn fed elk, what could be better.

Looking forward to your hunt posts, good luck.

Legend

WKR
Hello all, new here but have browsed from time to time. I drew a Nebraska bull tag this year and am super excited, only 10 days until archery opener! I live in Nebraska elk country but am not an elk hunter, but I have shot a cow in Utah before. I'm mainly a waterfowl and turkey guy. With all that said I'm looking for your thoughts on some of the bulls I've been getting on camera. I've heard from some that say they are shooters and others that say they are still small. I'm not looking for a 400" bull, but I don't want to shoot a 285" bull unless the season is winding down.
This guy has three beams it appears.
ZObZAMhh.jpg

vuM6a81h.jpg

7hceb62h.jpg

This is the very first elk I got on camera this summer, he had a lot of growing left so I would really like to see him again, he just hasn't shown up.
rBVkRUuh.jpg

Wish the first pic was a little closer. Same location in second pic the elk knocked the cam on the ground but I still got a pic.
MiW6IHMh.jpg

VejYC71h.jpg

Would like a better look at this guy too as it's been a month almost since I've seen him.
r9XpJNeh.jpg

Same elk, two angles, hard telling on him.
88I8ByOh.jpg

qZRZtcoh.jpg
I say shoot what makes you excited!!

But big bulls almost always have a big third and a big 5th.

Only been on one Neb elk hunt, and a couple scouting trips but I'll throw my two cents:

Pay attention to anything with long white tips.
Look for fronts that turn and point up.
Bulls with cows are not necessarily the highest scoring in the area.
Seems like Nebraska genetics tend more toward big fronts, strong 3rds and weaker tops. There are exceptions though.

Bull #1 Maybe depends on how late in the season. A non typical is pretty cool though.
#2- Pass
#3- Big body. but it looks like he is missing a bunch on his right side. Need more intel. Possible shooter.
#4- Looks young. Boat loads of potential though.
Bulls #5 and #6 might be your highest scoring. Both look like day 1 shooters to me.
#5 has pretty good fronts and 3rds with an average top and maybe a small 7th.
#6 is a bit of a mystery, but he looks good in front and average up top. But he looks like he has mass. That's a wildcard for score. Looks like a bigger body too.
#7- Not bad. Just an average bull. Late in the hunt. I'd probably be good with him.
#8- Same as #7

Keep putting the work in and you'll figure it out.
Good luck!

WCB

WKR
You might also want to take into consideration actual opportunity. Are they in a spot that you could get multiple opportunity at them or is it wide open country where if you spook them they may just move a couple miles and are now un touchable? None are rag horns and all of them are far bigger than probably 85-90% of what most guys shoot let alone even get a chance at. Realistically a 285-300" bull is a damn nice bull.

Also, the 2 pictures where you say the elk knocked the camera down...you do know those are not the same bull correct?

OP
N
Only been on one Neb elk hunt, and a couple scouting trips but I'll throw my two cents:

Pay attention to anything with long white tips.
Look for fronts that turn and point up.
Bulls with cows are not necessarily the highest scoring in the area.
Seems like Nebraska genetics tend more toward big fronts, strong 3rds and weaker tops. There are exceptions though.

Bull #1 Maybe depends on how late in the season. A non typical is pretty cool though.
#2- Pass
#3- Big body. but it looks like he is missing a bunch on his right side. Need more intel. Possible shooter.
#4- Looks young. Boat loads of potential though.
Bulls #5 and #6 might be your highest scoring. Both look like day 1 shooters to me.
#5 has pretty good fronts and 3rds with an average top and maybe a small 7th.
#6 is a bit of a mystery, but he looks good in front and average up top. But he looks like he has mass. That's a wildcard for score. Looks like a bigger body too.
#7- Not bad. Just an average bull. Late in the hunt. I'd probably be good with him.
#8- Same as #7

Keep putting the work in and you'll figure it out.
Good luck!
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I have my own ideas, but it is nice to hear others opinions. The first three pics are actually the same elk, the pics are just deceiving. The one standing on the edge of the corn looking away at 8:09 pm has some junk on both sides so he isn't a perfect typical. I had a buddy (who has shot a average to below average Nebraska bull) tell me the one walking into the corn at 8:14 pm was small. I just couldn't agree with him for the same reasons you pointed out.

This heat sure has them nocturnal right now, no early morning or evening pics at all since that cool snap we had two weeks ago. I'm also not getting as many pics either, which stinks since season is starting soon. I'll be interested to see what is on the cards a week from now after this cool down and rain coming.

OP
N
You might also want to take into consideration actual opportunity. Are they in a spot that you could get multiple opportunity at them or is it wide open country where if you spook them they may just move a couple miles and are now un touchable? None are rag horns and all of them are far bigger than probably 85-90% of what most guys shoot let alone even get a chance at. Realistically a 285-300" bull is a damn nice bull.

Also, the 2 pictures where you say the elk knocked the camera down...you do know those are not the same bull correct?
There is enough corn and I have enough permission that I don't think they will run off completely, they may just go back to the same pivot or move to the next one.
I'm guessing you are talking about picture 5 and 6. Yes, two different bulls same location. I've tried to inventory the bulls the best I can and I'm thinking there are between 11-14 bulls in this cluster of pivots I'm hunting. I've had two cows on camera all summer is all, so I need to figure out still where they are before the rut.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of nice bulls, don't get too stuck on chasing a number. But re-review your pics I bet you have more bulls than you are initially thinking. The one @William Sublette called out is probably highest scoring. The second night photo bull looks really nice as well- internet judging would guess low 330's. But take some away once they strip the velvet.... lets see some hard horn photos

OP
N
Lots of nice bulls, don't get too stuck on chasing a number. But re-review your pics I bet you have more bulls than you are initially thinking. The one @William Sublette called out is probably highest scoring. The second night photo bull looks really nice as well- internet judging would guess low 330's. But take some away once they strip the velvet.... lets see some hard horn photos
Thanks, I'm not in it to shoot a high scoring bull, but being it's a once in a lifetime tag, I would like to shoot a quality mature bull. I mentioned in a previous post that there are probably 11-14 bulls that I've tried to pick apart on all my pictures. That is in an area that is about 14 sections worth but the elk are living in five pivots of corn and some bordering dryland corn. That is a lot of ground for them but I know where they are. I'll just have to figure out what specific pivot to hunt with the wind and terrain come opener. On another note, this forum is a great resource!

OP
N
Is there a lot of other tag holders?
There are 3-5 bull tags (landowner included) and I think 10-15 cows tags (landowner included) for my unit that were issued. Not sure on exact numbers. I know a landowner who's son and two grandsons all have cow tags who have ground to my east a few miles. I know of an older guy who is a local who has a bull tag and in talking with another landowner it sounds like he has permission on a quarter section of dryland in the area I'm hunting. It's in a travel corridor is all. Might be a good spot for rifle if they are moving during the rut is about it. The only other tags I know are a father son local in a neighboring county who have a bull and cow tag (I think landowner as well but may be wrong). I'm guessing they are hunting their area where they live though. Maybe come gun season I may start seeing some people but I don't think pressure is going to be a huge concern, at least initially. I have yet to see anyone scout or anyone else's trail cams.

gman82001

WKR
Are you seeing cows there? If not I wouldn’t plan on any of those bulls being there unless you’re hunting maybe the first few days of sept. That said maybe Nebraska elk do things differently in that country but I’d still want to know where all the cows are because that’s where the bulls will head

OP
N
Are you seeing cows there? If not I wouldn’t plan on any of those bulls being there unless you’re hunting maybe the first few days of sept. That said maybe Nebraska elk do things differently in that country but I’d still want to know where all the cows are because that’s where the bulls will head
I have had two cows on camera all summer, who knows if they are the same ones. The cows remain a mystery to me, I have yet to find any concentration of them. This has been my same worry the whole time as well, but one thing that made me feel a little better was a landowner said they will kick the elk out of the corn while combining and that happens on irrigated corn around here in very late October if they are lucky but usually November.

I normally wouldn't share this much info but there are a lot of units with farmground in the state so it's not like someone knows exactly where I'm at and I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

OP
N
The picture quality on this new Stealth Cam I have is very poor, even in daylight but here is what looks to be a dandy of a bull. I have hunted five times so far and this morning was the first bugle I've heard of the season, also saw two far off before shooting light. It recharged me a bit as I hadn't even seen an elk on the first four hunts.
q62TxWsh.jpg

cfd5heXh.jpg

OP
N
Which one did you end up with?
I don't think it was one that I had on camera ever. His antlers kinda tell me he just came out of the hills recently and hasn't spent a lot of time in corn all summer, plus he had sap and bark shavings in his hair on top of his head.