Kaibab vs Razor UHD 18x56

cfdjay

WKR
I know much of this is subjective but looking to get thoughts and experiences of anyone whos messed with them side by side for a comparison. Is the extra $ worth it?

Hoodie

WKR
I would also consider the Maven B5 as an in between model. I suspect being made by Kamakura it's extremely similar to the UHD for about $400 less. Same Abbe Koenig prism, same lifetime no-fault guarantee.

I had the old 15x56 Kaibab a few years ago and briefly tried the B5 15x56. I think the Kaibab had a noticeably larger sweet spot. The Maven was definitely brighter (important for a 15x56 with a small exit pupil), and the fluorite glass made the center image just beautiful. Chromatic aberration was probably comparable between the two, little to none in the center and a medium amount towards the edges.

Last edited:

ZackP

WKR
I agree with the above. For the price difference, I would go with Maven.

Unless you find a used set of either for a fairly good price, there’s no justification for the UHD.

With that being said the Kaibab can be found for $600-$750. Keep in mind the 15x and 20x Kaibab are made in Japan while the 18x is made in China.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Great info. Thanks fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 18x56 UHD is a step-up from the Kaibab. I have a set and truly enjoy them. With the proliferation of OEM manufacture and parts/components globally sourced, place of manufacture is no longer the significant indicator of quality that it was 20 years ago. The Schott HD Flourite glass in those binoculars (with the exact same specifications) could have just as easily come from Indonesia as from Europe.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
I ended up getting a great deal on the UHDs and ordered them. Can’t wait to try them for Spring Bear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk