kifaru fulcrum meat carrying

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,

Preparing to pull the trigger on a kifaru bag. Shocking, but I am between the reckoning and the fulcrum. I really like the size of the reckoning but i really like the non compressed and zippered wings of the fulcrum. I was curious how everyone loads meat in the fulcrum. Do you use the main bag, or strap it between the wings with the main bag mostly empty? What else, and how has this worked for you?

Thanks for the help!

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I have been doing a lot of the same research, and the Fulcrum has both options available. Kifaru, and Aron especially, recommend not using the meat shelf style loadout since it pushes the weight of what you have in the pack further away from your body. So if you can make the space, they recommend uaing a trash bag or dry bag to wrap around the meat and slide it inside the main bag. But, the other option of putting the meat between the bag and frame is still there if you want to use it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I added buckles and straps to the bottom so I can have it set up like the tahr with ability to haul meat between bag and frame.
I personally never liked carrying meat in my bags. But I also try to avoid having pack items way too far off my back as stated above.

Everything about the Fulcrum was what I like other than where the meat was carried. Just my way I prefer- everyone is different.

The side straps all seem to be able to loosen enough and I just adapted the bottom to be able to do the same. To me, it is now the perfect pack, at least for now.
lol

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I added buckles and straps to the bottom so I can have it set up like the tahr with ability to haul meat between bag and frame.
I personally never liked carrying meat in my bags. But I also try to avoid having pack items way too far off my back as stated above.

Everything about the Fulcrum was what I like other than where the meat was carried. Just my way I prefer- everyone is different.

The side straps all seem to be able to loosen enough and I just adapted the bottom to be able to do the same. To me, it is now the perfect pack, at least for now.
lol

Exactly what I want to do! Except I cant sew...er, I mean, fabric weld...

I've been using the Fulcrum for a couple months and am loving it. I've yet to pack meat but have been routinely carrying up to 60 lb loads with the sandbags inside the bag as if it were meat with day gear in the wings. It would be no problem fitting meat inside with room to still access day gear in the wings. Any floppiness is negligible when not stuffed. No performance flaws at all when using the wings only and main bag empty as far as floppiness goes. I would take a large bag any day that holds what I need vs having extra pockets and crap hanging and flopping around a smaller bag. I hunted a few days with the pack and love the organizational set up as well. My personal favorite all arounder . I hope to get it bloody this January.

Rizzy

WKR
I use the main bag, the Fulcrum is plenty big enough to carry camp and meat on that first or last load out.

Lawnboi

WKR
Exactly what I want to do! Except I cant sew...er, I mean, fabric weld...

You don't really need the straps. The ladder lock still allows for more meat than I can carry between the bag and frame. Can't speak for the fulcrum but I sandwiched whole bone in mule deer between a highcamp and frame with the ladder locks connected at the bottom. Main reason I got the fulcrum was so I can put it in the bag while having some room where I don't need to compress the living crap out of all my gear.

I can't speak for the fulcrum with meat though as I just got the thing. Hooks up to the frame the same as my other bags though.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I am wondering about this also...

I have an old G2 Longhunter and am ready to get a new Kifaru pack.

It seems as if a guy could loosen up the straps attaching the Fulcrum Bag to the frame and run a Grab It as the meat shelf between the Fulcrum Bag and frame.??? The Grab It looks as if it would provide a ton of options plus wrapping up around the meat bag/quarter and returning the load back to the frame.

Anyone have the answer?

I am wondering about this also...

I have an old G2 Longhunter and am ready to get a new Kifaru pack.

It seems as if a guy could loosen up the straps attaching the Fulcrum Bag to the frame and run a Grab It as the meat shelf between the Fulcrum Bag and frame.??? The Grab It looks as if it would provide a ton of options plus wrapping up around the meat bag/quarter and returning the load back to the frame.

Anyone have the answer?

If you want to haul the meat like this you don't need a shelf. The bottom k clips as stock will work to hold meat in or you can add straps the way I did and then set them up. The added straps allow the bag to open up for full load of camp, and hold any bag of meat at the frame to back side of pack and with the 2 added compression straps incl in pack they do the rest. No sewing need.

Moderator William Hanson graciously sent me pics of his before I bought mine as I wanted to make sure I could modify my bottom strap set as the shelf and then use the supplied straps as the needed compressions.
I also mod the top to make sure I can disassemble the top of the bag off the frame in like 5 seconds tops. My top female buckles are not in the way of the bag lifting off the frame, and then a common quick disconnect on the bladder line and it is free.
I get guys like a shelf, but honestly the straps are the shelf.
Let me see if I can post up pics to help show what I mean.

Last edited:
Ok here goes with pics
Hopefully they come up in order

First is the buckle set up I added
This allows me to loosen, tighten bag for load management
These also are my meat shelf and allow bag to be pulled away from frame plenty to haul meat on

Next are those same straps loosened as seen in pic 2 and pulled away in pic 3

Now into the top pack removal from frame

I unbuckle the male buckles on my
Grab it (which is on there for hauling bow)
Notice the female buckles in the next pic are not in the way of my pack top coming of the frame

630f6b753863f951a5668ba3f3e67026.jpg
3a41731a073117d7f0273651d6b36fdd.jpg
259ec020e3ac2a6b37c67ffd0ca1aed5.jpg
12c23a46c7b639eb2e06d92c3d0baa04.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here is that pic of the buckles not in the way

Next I undo all the rest of the horizontal straps, buckles

I set mine up do the k clips are all on same side
As seen in next pic
6d02e5dc5e6052d696408a3c95e383c0.jpg
2fb129916ae601246c3651d0ddc35c3c.jpg
7434356516eba16146fc63c6c762c538.jpg
616b2dd8d098c63160e7df6d21673824.jpg

Once all containment systems are loosened our unbuckled
The pack opens up allowing meat to be placed on frame

The reverse process for reassembling

Hope this makes sense

I have several kifaru frames and bag set ups
All have matching buckle systems so swapping is easy
Meaning guide lid easily swaps from one to the next without any mods or changes

As does the grab it or long hunter lid

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing that! I am new to Kifaru so Its a little over my head, but youre doing exactly what I want to have happen. I pulled the trigger on a fulcrum, once I get it hopefully I will figure it out. If not, I may ask some questions!

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
i have had a front and rear quarter bone in in my fulcrum and it handled it great. if you dont want to get gear bloody just use contractor bags. my bag was a bloody mess and just hosed it out when i got home and let air dry in garage. i also stacked the meat on the rear 1/4 towards the bottom of the bag and the front shoulder i put the meat to the top so it laid together real nice and all the weight wasnt in the bottom of the pack

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have the poor man's fulcrum (EMR 2) really depends on the trip. If I am day hunting I prefer to have my gear in the batwings and put the meat just inbetween the wings and the packbag and leave the packbag empty. Its faster quicker to secure and unsecure the load and keeps the packbag inside clean and don't have to worry about putting the meat in and out of contractor bags and such.

But if I have multi day gear (tent, food, stove, sleeping gear, etc) then I pack the packbag much like any other style pack with enough gear in the bottom (generally sleeping bag and tent in dry bags) to suspend the meat load to the correct height and then more gear on top of that.

I tried the meat shelf method a couple times and find its more trouble than its worth personally.

A couple critter getting hauled out in daypack mode.

T2UjLbN.jpg

g85GxEv.jpg

This one wouldn't have fit in very well in the packbag anyways.

dvjBrBd.jpg

I carry large garbage bags too ..
I got used to needing the ability to haul a load out with entire 5 day camp still in my main bag, side pockets, and belt pouches.
No room left for even the ivory of a bull, inside the main bag
Lol

The set up of using the main bag as the meat hauler as others have said on the fulcrum is as easy as it gets.
When able to do it, no reason to not.

But I've been there when I couldn't.

The versatility of a kifaru is one reason why I stick with them.

You are rarely locked into one program.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I carry large garbage bags too ..
I got used to needing the ability to haul a load out with entire 5 day camp still in my main bag, side pockets, and belt pouches.
No room left for even the ivory of a bull, inside the main bag
Lol

The set up of using the main bag as the meat hauler as others have said on the fulcrum is as easy as it gets.
When able to do it, no reason to not.

But I've been there when I couldn't.

The versatility of a kifaru is one reason why I stick with them.

You are rarely locked into one program.

This is what I am after...

I have more pics of some tweaks I did on the top of the frame sheet to bag attachment set up, that allows me to lock the top of the bag back up to the frame without interference in removing the bag from the frame. .
As Luke stated it is a pain to unhook everything , especially the K clips etc and the rehook it up. So I came up with a system that lets me do it with minimal effort, not having to mess with a single k clip- it is all quick release buckles now.