kifaru fulcrum meat carrying

I have more pics of some tweaks I did on the top of the frame sheet to bag attachment set up, that allows me to lock the top of the bag back up to the frame without interference in removing the bag from the frame. .
As Luke stated it is a pain to unhook everything , especially the K clips etc and the rehook it up. So I came up with a system that lets me do it with minimal effort, not having to mess with a single k clip- it is all quick release buckles now.

Keep in mind as stated this will put the load out from your back and cause you to really lean forward- not desirable. Ok for short hikes under a mile or 2.
I only utilize this on the first load with camp still in bag- once back to base, it all gets emptied and now I can haul in the bag or continue to run between bag and frame.

On one of my other bag set ups, I didn't want to hike the nearly 1000' elv change for the meat, so I was able to haul one elk rear qtr and one frt qtr at the same time. All boned in. I got the entire meat package out in 3 trips, one being much easier, but it was all down hill with the heavies. This was a mature elk and he was huge.
This system isn't for everyone, but for me- it gets the job done.

rbljack

WKR
I guess I'm still not quite understanding the mod.... I will go back and watch the videos Aron has on the fulcrum and then come back to this one again with more insight hopefully. What I'm gathering is that you are able to take a fulcrum and place meat between the bag and frame when necessary, by simply unbucking some straps. Which at first glance appears quicker than the set up on the reckoning with the shelf. I was leaning towards a reckoning for the "either or" option of meat in the bag or between bag and frame when necessary. This is yet another thing that makes me go....hmmmmmmmmmmmm... LOL.

rbljack... The reason for the mod is simple.

When my hands are cramped, I am wet, cold and dehydrated, at midnight with a 2 mile walk out in front of me I want simple. I don't care to be disconnecting and reconnection K clips and straps. My mod does the same thing with a meat shelf application, but now all I have to do is unbuckle and rebuckle- it just simplifies this process when your extremities are no longer working properly.
If a guy hasn't been there they wont understand. If you have, you will totally get it and appreciate it.

Not a huge mod, just a quick easy mod for me that allows me to stretch out the bottom of the bag for a big rear Qtr, and as far as the top of the bag- rehook the top of the bag to the top of the frame to stabilize the heavy load- hope this helps

Last edited:

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
MFllood, if I am looking at your photos correctly you have the hypalon sleeve slipped over the load lifter straps so it will lift straight off the frame and they you just lengthen the side/bottom straps to give room to slide meat between the bag and frame, correct?

Definitely would be quicker and less fiddly than trying to undo the K clips, I totally get where you're coming from re losing fine motor skills when you're bordering on hyperthermia, I remember struggling to tie my hammock straps to a tree one night after a bitterly cold hike in, unless someone has been in that situation it is hard to describe, but the most easy and mundane tasks become incredibly hard and your fingers just won't do what you tell them to do, extremely frustrating and also very scary when you NEED to get something done.

MFllood, if I am looking at your photos correctly you have the hypalon sleeve slipped over the load lifter straps so it will lift straight off the frame and they you just lengthen the side/bottom straps to give room to slide meat between the bag and frame, correct?

Definitely would be quicker and less fiddly than trying to undo the K clips, I totally get where you're coming from re losing fine motor skills when you're bordering on hyperthermia, I remember struggling to tie my hammock straps to a tree one night after a bitterly cold hike in, unless someone has been in that situation it is hard to describe, but the most easy and mundane tasks become incredibly hard and your fingers just won't do what you tell them to do, extremely frustrating and also very scary when you NEED to get something done.

Correct
I can do the K clips easily under 90% of the time. But this year was a crazy challenge. I should've undone them prior to starting the break down process. You don't reattach tem anyway once the meat is in the shelf. The entire top just stays open.

I had my little multi tool out to change the havalon blade that broke, and I decided it would help me get the k clip out, cause mu hands weren't gripping any more, but when I went to get it, I couldn't find it. I was just getting frustrated at about the midnight hour. I decided I just need simple, for when normal wont cut it.

I have some buckles and straps hidden and running down the frame sheet on each side, as well, that attach underneath and are invisible until the bag is pulled off the frame. These attach to one of the top 2 sets of buckles I added to the frame, for holding the head/horns. They can also help assist holding the top of a qtr.

rbljack

WKR
rbljack... The reason for the mod is simple.

When my hands are cramped, I am wet, cold and dehydrated, at midnight with a 2 mile walk out in front of me I want simple. I don't care to be disconnecting and reconnection K clips and straps. My mod does the same thing with a meat shelf application, but now all I have to do is unbuckle and rebuckle- it just simplifies this process when your extremities are no longer working properly.
If a guy hasn't been there they wont understand. If you have, you will totally get it and appreciate it.

Not a huge mod, just a quick easy mod for me that allows me to stretch out the bottom of the bag for a big rear Qtr, and as far as the top of the bag- rehook the top of the bag to the top of the frame to stabilize the heavy load- hope this helps

I guess my post wasn't clear. I totally get why you did the mod, and I like the concept. I just cant envision quite HOW you did it from the photos. I don't have a kifaru pack yet, but have watched lots of videos on the reckoning and the fulcrum. Without having a pack in front of me to look at, I need to get more familiarized with the details of the reckoning and fulcrum, how they connect to the frame etc. I thought the horizontal straps were attached with K clips on both sides, and had the buckles in the middle. Are you removing the K clips from one side, and then adding a set of male/female buckles instead? Sorry for the confusion. I am sure having the pack in hand would make this a bit more clear. The pics and explanation help some though. I liked the reckoning for the fact it had the meat shelf IF needed, and is a better place IMO for a water bladder. I don't trust those things, and last thing I want is a leak in the main bag. If I can do that same thing and create a way to extend the fulcrum bag away from the frame quick and easy, I am back to leaning towards the bigger fulcrum.I also liked the ability to compress the pack while keeping the side pockets OUTSIde of the compression straps if the spotter is in them.

Last edited:
I guess my post wasn't clear. I totally get why you did the mod, and I like the concept. I just cant envision quite HOW you did it from the photos. I don't have a kifaru pack yet, but have watched lots of videos on the reckoning and the fulcrum. Without having a pack in front of me to look at, I need to get more familiarized with the details of the reckoning and fulcrum, how they connect to the frame etc. I thought the horizontal straps were attached with K clips on both sides, and had the buckles in the middle. Are you removing the K clips from one side, and then adding a set of male/female buckles instead? Sorry for the confusion. I am sure having the pack in hand would make this a bit more clear. The pics and explanation help some though. I liked the reckoning for the fact it had the meat shelf IF needed, and is a better place IMO for a water bladder. I don't trust those things, and last thing I want is a leak in the main bag. If I can do that same thing and create a way to extend the fulcrum bag away from the frame quick and easy, I am back to leaning towards the bigger fulcrum.I also liked the ability to compress the pack while keeping the side pockets OUTSIde of the compression straps if the spotter is in them.

I would suggest the Fulcrum.
Jordan Budd had both and has more experience, but from my view Id say get the fulcrum.

No I leave the k clips on the sides but I added the 2 extra comp straps that come with the pack as additional meat straps under the pack.
I also added the 2 buckle set ups underneath and at bottom to adj bag out where it normally just has the k clips. Mine now has adj buckle straps there as my meat shelf.
On the top it was just a matter of making sure my k clip was lower so I can slide the bag sleeve up and off w/o any unattaching. I am short enough to not need the higher attachment points anyway.
Hope it gets clearer for you.

The fulcrum is more versatile than the rec but some folks like the rec better.
Just depends on your hunt style.
I have only had 4 of Kifaru's packs, others on here have every one or close to and have way more knowledge than me.
But so far my fav in the field has been my AMR.
But the new fulcrum might just take that spot over. I just like big bags that compress. I don't need a ton of pockets, I need a big bag.
lol

Old thread, looking at this or the Nomad. What draws me to the bat wings is the simplicity of packing meat. Open wings, flatten pack, drop meat between them cinch down and go. This is what I do with my badlands and want to stay with that style.

It seems to make the system work at its best a “grab it” would be needed no? Something to secure the meat from the bottom.

I’ve never been a slide the meat in the bag type unless it was a last resort and wouldn’t do this with the Fulcrum hence my quandary on it or the Nomad 2.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
You definitely won't need a grab it with the fulcrum as there's the 3 horizontal straps in between the wings, 2 optional horizontal straps that you can run underneath the wings, and the 2 vertical straps that secure the snow collar.
I haven't packed out an animal together with a camp yet, but when using it as a daypack it's really easy to secure gamebags between the wings. When the main bag is empty, I fold up the bottom of the bag underneath the meat and run the bottom "optional" horizontal strap through the sewn on carrying handle to form a shelf or sorts like I did in the photo.

If I were to pack out a camp along with and animal it would all go into the main bag.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
ef847efe3528c41ee7538b580e162b3f.jpg

Kucher

FNG
I skimmed the responses here. The new fulcrums come with the meat shelf sewn in. If you looking for a used one probably won’t find one with the meat shelf unless it’s the newer version.