Kifaru pack frame fail point

tagstew22

FNG
Has anyone else experienced this wear point on their pack frames? Were the belt hits the frame the fabric is worn through to the plastic stays. Both sides are about 1 1/4” long and starting to wear through the belt fabric too. Frame is 3 years old

Attachments

• EBD6B563-434C-4836-BB1D-A6E9B3BBB4D1.jpeg
    EBD6B563-434C-4836-BB1D-A6E9B3BBB4D1.jpeg
    699 KB · Views: 202
  • F79A6564-1D25-440F-8FA9-F44C5E8112BA.jpeg
    F79A6564-1D25-440F-8FA9-F44C5E8112BA.jpeg
    633.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 2889396C-38BE-41C2-863D-239006EBAFD6.jpeg
    2889396C-38BE-41C2-863D-239006EBAFD6.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 202

Marble

WKR
Can I see another picture that's a little further out so I know what I'm looking at?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Tag - Looks like its your fabric casing on the frame where the belt rubs on it? That's a known wear point, especially for frames that have seen a lot of use. 500d is rough on packcloth with a hard/sharp surface behind it. Luckily it doesn't effect performance of the frame. I did take care of this problem with the new frame however

I had it happen on the inside of a KU5200 pack where the stay had worn through the pocket, but not on the outside.

Outside of Bender reaching out, did you contact Kifaru?

OP
T

tagstew22

FNG
Can I see another picture that's a little further out so I know what I'm looking at?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 1AE8103A-866B-4CAA-B919-2919EB02235C.jpeg
    1AE8103A-866B-4CAA-B919-2919EB02235C.jpeg
    898.8 KB · Views: 145
OP
T

tagstew22

FNG
Tag - Looks like its your fabric casing on the frame where the belt rubs on it? That's a known wear point, especially for frames that have seen a lot of use. 500d is rough on packcloth with a hard/sharp surface behind it. Luckily it doesn't effect performance of the frame. I did take care of this problem with the new frame however
I did notice it starting to wear the second year I had it but it has continued to get worse. I don’t know that 2 years of normal use would be considered “a lot of use”. It hasn’t effected the performance yet but I think it will if it continues to wear.
A known wear point shouldn’t have to be resolved by buying a new frame, 400.00 gear for life.

OP
T

tagstew22

FNG
I had it happen on the inside of a KU5200 pack where the stay had worn through the pocket, but not on the outside.

Outside of Bender reaching out, did you contact Kifaru?
I did email Kifaru. They said that it was “normal wear and tear”. That there’s “ nothing wrong with the frame”. That “there was nothing they could do about it”. That my “belt needs to be replaced”.

I have the same wear issue on my duplex frame. The frame is about 4 years old. Use has been about 30 days a year and have hauled out ~ 8 elk.

Is Kifaru’s answer really just to say “tough luck?”

I have been using Kifaru only since 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that’s surprising to hear. Kifaru used to have great customer service. Seems like they know they designed a faulty product and aren’t standing behind it.

OP
T

tagstew22

FNG
This is how my email conversation with Kifaru went:

Kifaru,

Hey, I’m trying to see what can be done with my pack frame and belt. I’ve got a wear point on both sides of the frame were it touches the belt. The fabric has worn through on the frame to the plastic underneath. The belt fabric is also starting to wear. I’ve had my pack for about 3 1/2 years. 4 hunting seasons. I’ve included some pictures of the problems that I’m having. Please let me know what can be done with the frame and belt.

Kifaru-
Good morning.So I talked to repairs. Looks like your frame is ok.
Your belt will need to be replaced

Me-
As far as the frame goes is there anything that can be done to repair it? I think if I put a new belt on it’s just going to wear on the new belt the same. I’m more concerned about the the fabric on the frame continuing to tear and at some point fail

Kifaru-
No unfortunately that is wear and tear and it is not fixable

Me-
Ok so what are my options for replacing the frame

Kifaru-
Well you can buy a new frame. But wear and tear is not covered under warranty. I know that is not what you want hear. I am sorry.

Me-
That’s disappointing to hear. So what is covered under warranty?

Kifaru-
Warranty covers manufacturer's defects.

Me-
Just to double check you are looking at the right pictures. These are the pictures of the fabric frame fail points circled in red

Kifaru-
That is wear and tear.

Me-
I’m not in agreement with you on calling that normal wear and tear. It’s the literal definition manufacturers defect. The way it is designed is why it is failing. It is a 1/4” away from the lowest attachment point. For the amount that you guys charge for your pack frames I would have hoped it would last more then 3 years. I guess gear for life is just something you use for sales? Hopefully I can repair it enough to sell it, as I will be looking elsewhere for my hunting pack. Disappointing to hear that’s you don’t stand behind your gear.

Our hunting group has used your gear exclusively for the last 5 years. We all looked at my pack and were in agreement that it would/should be taken care of. Another pack in our group is also starting to wear in the same spots. Hopefully this isn’t a known problem that you guys are trying to skate around.

Kifaru-
It has spot that got rubbed a hole into it. Just like wearing a pair of shoe. If your shoe touch one toe all the time you wear it. It rubs a hole in it. That is wear and tear. It is not covered under warranty. Your frame is still useable. Your frame is not falling. There is nothing wrong with it, other than where there is wear and tear.
As for the amount of money we charge. We charge that much because it cost more to get everything 100% american made. Down to our needles and thread. We do stand behind our gear. Your frame still works.

Warranty Exclusions:
  • Damage resulting in abrasions/cuts/slashes
  • Damage from animals such as dogs, bears, etc.
  • Normal Wear and Tear
  • Excessive snow loads result in damage
  • Misuse or improper care
  • Accidents resulting in rips, tears, burn, and stains
  • Fabric fading over time
  • Natural breakdown of materials/laminations with age
    • Excessive UV exposure. Our tipis handle sun exposure well but over time the material will degrade.
  • Incorrect Laundering
  • Seconds Items
  • Not the original owner and was not purchased directly from Kifaru
  • Warranty void if original product has been modified
Have an amazing day.

Trial153

WKR
Fix it and move on. If you didn’t like the way they treated you then remember that before you patronize them again. Personally that wouldn’t bother me and I consider it par for the course for packs and hard use items. YMMV

It might not look pretty but if the pack/frame still performs well (perfectly, as advertised, whatever) I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a section at the bottom of my Exo K2 frame that looks similar. A different wear point but very similar in that it's just 'wear and tear'. I sent an e-mail to Exo asking if it was a concern and they said no, but if for whatever reason it becomes a concern, to let them know.

That was a couple of years ago and it's still been fine. I'm not fussed. My K2 has been flogged extremely hard; perhaps one of the most used K2 packs/frames in the world?

It would be difficult to strike the perfect balance as a company. 'Gear for life' is a good slogan but I doubt anyone in their right mind would believe a pack would literally last forever. It does beg the question - how long should a pack or frame last?

I purchased my K2 in May of 2018 and it's still functioning perfectly. Nearly six years! That's a long time. Certainly longer than other things like some boots or pieces of clothing may last.

My Kifaru Reckoning and Duplex Lite frame were bought brand new back in 2022 (I believe?) but I haven't used them a whole lot yet so we will see how things go super long term.

ScottinPA

WKR
Maybe get someone like Western Edge Gear to double up the material there. Better than tape but not like new.