Kifaru pack frame fail point

OP
T

tagstew22

FNG
It might not look pretty but if the pack/frame still performs well (perfectly, as advertised, whatever) I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a section at the bottom of my Exo K2 frame that looks similar. A different wear point but very similar in that it's just 'wear and tear'. I sent an e-mail to Exo asking if it was a concern and they said no, but if for whatever reason it becomes a concern, to let them know.

That was a couple of years ago and it's still been fine. I'm not fussed. My K2 has been flogged extremely hard; perhaps one of the most used K2 packs/frames in the world?

It would be difficult to strike the perfect balance as a company. 'Gear for life' is a good slogan but I doubt anyone in their right mind would believe a pack would literally last forever. It does beg the question - how long should a pack or frame last?

I purchased my K2 in May of 2018 and it's still functioning perfectly. Nearly six years! That's a long time. Certainly longer than other things like some boots or pieces of clothing may last.

My Kifaru Reckoning and Duplex Lite frame were bought brand new back in 2022 (I believe?) but I haven't used them a whole lot yet so we will see how things go super long term.
Yeah I wouldn’t expect the pack to be gear for life but a couple years without that type of wear would be nice.

That would have been great it if they would have said to let them know if becomes a problem.

It might not look pretty but if the pack/frame still performs well (perfectly, as advertised, whatever) I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a section at the bottom of my Exo K2 frame that looks similar. A different wear point but very similar in that it's just 'wear and tear'. I sent an e-mail to Exo asking if it was a concern and they said no, but if for whatever reason it becomes a concern, to let them know.

That was a couple of years ago and it's still been fine. I'm not fussed. My K2 has been flogged extremely hard; perhaps one of the most used K2 packs/frames in the world?

It would be difficult to strike the perfect balance as a company. 'Gear for life' is a good slogan but I doubt anyone in their right mind would believe a pack would literally last forever. It does beg the question - how long should a pack or frame last?

I purchased my K2 in May of 2018 and it's still functioning perfectly. Nearly six years! That's a long time. Certainly longer than other things like some boots or pieces of clothing may last.

My Kifaru Reckoning and Duplex Lite frame were bought brand new back in 2022 (I believe?) but I haven't used them a whole lot yet so we will see how things go super long term.

It is wearing a hole through the belt and will continue to do so unless patched. So now the belt needs to replaced. My expectations would be for them to take it in and patch since it is a design flaw. It will wear unless you don’t use the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I just went and looked at mine. Bought it in 2018, same frame and belt since. Most years I hunt 50-60 days a year, and one year was around 200.

On one side, I've got a very small hole in the black material on the frame, the other side isn't quite worn through. Where the lumber wraps around, there is one small worn hole from the bottom of the frame rubbing where the supprts connect vertically.

I think a piece of duct tape or electrical tape may prevent any further abrasion.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
T

tagstew22

FNG
Just curious, what is the outcome that you wanted from Kifaru?
The outcome that I would expect is for it to be resolved. Not by putting a piece of tape on it, not by me buying a new frame but by Kifaru patching it or replacing it. It is a known problem as stated. If it wasn’t a problem they wouldn’t have fixed with a new pack design.

30-35 days per hunting season for 4 seasons, 95% of the time it is a day pack carrying 25ish lbs. I expect a pack of this quality to be able to handle that kind of use without fail. It is not to much to expect.

Gorilla tape fixes it. That likely isn’t the answer you were wanting. Nor, would it be the answer I would want. But, one piece per side and forget about it. Until it’s time to buy again.

KurtR

WKR
When tires wear down from use should they be replaced? People’s expectations vs reality are odd when it comes to hunting gear. It’s not going to stay new and pretty but if it still functions as needed should be the concern

TaperPin

WKR
Everyone that sews repairs things differently - That seems like a good place to simply stitch on a section of 2” seat belt webbing or leather wrapped over the wear spot. It would also cut down on wear on the belt. Sounds easy - probably a mother clucker to get to and will have to be hand stitched, but I’m not familiar with how the cover is sewn. Most industrial sewers probably don’t have a sewing palm, but saddle shops are used to hand stitching difficult areas.

You might also wash the pack - trail dust in the fibers wears down pack cloth much faster than clean nylon on clean nylon.

OP
T

tagstew22

FNG
It is wearing a hole through the belt and will continue to do so unless patched. So now the belt needs to replaced. My expectations would be for them to take it in and patch since it is a design flaw. It will wear unless you don’t use the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m guessing any type of tape or patch that I put on will be considered a modification to them which would void their warranty and give them another excuse to not cover the warranty.

OP
T

tagstew22

FNG
Everyone that sews repairs things differently - That seems like a good place to simply stitch on a section of 2” seat belt webbing or leather wrapped over the wear spot. It would also cut down on wear on the belt. Sounds easy - probably a mother clucker to get to and will have to be hand stitched, but I’m not familiar with how the cover is sewn. Most industrial sewers probably don’t have a sewing palm, but saddle shops are used to hand stitching difficult areas.

You might also wash the pack - trail dust in the fibers wears down pack cloth much faster than clean nylon on clean nylon.

I’m guessing any type of tape or patch that I put on will be considered a modification to them which would void their warranty and give them another excuse to not cover the warranty.
When tires wear down from use should they be replaced? People’s expectations vs reality are odd when it comes to hunting gear. It’s not going to stay new and pretty but if it still functions as needed should be the concern

my expectations are that a pack of this quality not start to come apart at the seems and do that for more longer then 4 hunting seasons of light use. At what point would you consider it a concern? When I’ve gone through 1 or 2 waist belts? When it fails with a heavy load on it 5 miles from the truck?

TaperPin

WKR
So you think a manufacturing defect that the warranty would cover might pop up in year 5 of use? Sounds like you’re not interested in fixing the pack, only getting a credit on a new one.

KurtR

WKR

my expectations are that a pack of this quality not start to come apart at the seems and do that for more longer then 4 hunting seasons of light use. At what point would you consider it a concern? When I’ve gone through 1 or 2 waist belts? When it fails with a heavy load on it 5 miles from the truck?
What part of that is going to make the pack fail?

OP
T

tagstew22

FNG

So you think a manufacturing defect that the warranty would cover might pop up in year 5 of use? Sounds like you’re not interested in fixing the pack, only getting a credit on a new one.
It would be great if they offered to repair. I would be perfectly happy with that

Lawnboi

WKR
Had a similar thing happen. Not butt hurt and don’t expect to get a thing for free but it is kind of disappointing, even more disappointing that I can’t replace my worn parts with the same color parts.

Mines getting tenacious tape and going to be run into the ground as a beater pack. Been buying kifaru since before the timberline. While I’ll probably buy their products again it left me dissatisfied enough to go to a different company when replacing this one.

InDeep

WKR
I had the exact same issue on my last 2 frames . I think it is a manufacture defect and think that they have missed the mark on this issue. I have been a very loyal customer for the 15 years . But they are doing many things that are changing that . We will see how the new frame holds up over a year . I love this company, but they are changing and its hard to watch.

And how loud its gets with sweat and fir needles getting in the cut outs .

Jake_h223

FNG
Interesting story. I just got into a modern pack system after using an old school aluminum frame for years. I’ve been concerned with how durable it might be. Happens to be Kifaru but I’m pretty confident it should hold up after seeing what my old frame did.

fshaw

WKR
Something to consider from a different section of the outdoors industry. Orvis just announced a new version of one of their fly rod lines. They started offering a “no questions asked warranty” good for 25 years. quite a few years and other rod makers had to do similar to compete for that section of the market. Shut it in the car door and get a new rod at no charge. The new Orvis Helios 4 rod lists for $1,200. The Winston Air was the first rod that I saw break $1,000 a few years ago. Granted, these are top end fishing poles, but they are graphite rods, not hand made split bamboo. Be careful what you wish for concerning warranties. Many industry experts agree that the cost of honoring no question warranties is one of the prime drivers in the increased cost of top end rods. That said, I would agree with the OP about a pack at that price point holding up better over 4 years of moderate use.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
I think they already made that decision for you.

The outcome that I would expect is for it to be resolved. Not by putting a piece of tape on it, not by me buying a new frame but by Kifaru patching it or replacing it. It is a known problem as stated. If it wasn’t a problem they wouldn’t have fixed with a new pack design.

30-35 days per hunting season for 4 seasons, 95% of the time it is a day pack carrying 25ish lbs. I expect a pack of this quality to be able to handle that kind of use without fail. It is not to much to expect.
Just put some Tenacious Tape on it and forget about it 😉