Kifaru Parka

DIY

WKR
Compared to first lite puffy do these have about same sleeve length

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
How noisy are these compared to First lite and Sitka synthetic? Sounded quite loud on video but could be the mic placement or new fabric.

Last edited:
I know you stated this parka is warmer than the First Lite Uncompahgre. Would you compare its warmth to the Kelvin jacket?

Thanks

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is warmer than a Kelvin jacket as well, but it won't compress as small as the Kelvin.

Statistically the APEX insulation tests better than just about anything in warmth to weight ratio. I think the Kelvin uses Primaloft1 or sport (can't remember for sure, but the APEX wins out either way against those.

It is warmer than a Kelvin jacket as well, but it won't compress as small as the Kelvin.

Statistically the APEX insulation tests better than just about anything in warmth to weight ratio. I think the Kelvin uses Primaloft1 or sport (can't remember for sure, but the APEX wins out either way against those.

Man this thing may be to warm for me, if it's substantially warmer then the FL puffy I don't think I hunt in cold enough areas to warrant it.

Any comparison to the arcteryx atom ar hoody? That jacket has a mix of 60-120g of coreloft insulation. I'm not sure how that compares to the new apex. There were times this past winter that the atom ar was just barely cutting it once I stopped moving.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Any comparison to the arcteryx atom ar hoody? That jacket has a mix of 60-120g of coreloft insulation. I'm not sure how that compares to the new apex. There were times this past winter that the atom ar was just barely cutting it once I stopped moving.

My military issue is a LEAF Atom jacket and I wear it daily. Not even close in comparison for warmth. I leave the Atom at home after the 2nd -3 week of season and use the Kifaru. I'd trust my life to the warmth of the Kifaru LPP and not the Atom.

My military issue is a LEAF Atom jacket and I wear it daily. Not even close in comparison for warmth. I leave the Atom at home after the 2nd -3 week of season and use the Kifaru. I'd trust my life to the warmth of the Kifaru LPP and not the Atom.
The LEAF version of the Atom is the LT version, which has only 60g of insulation throughout the jacket and has fleece (non-wind resistant) side panels. I use one too and it is not good below about 40 degrees/no wind when static.

The version I'm talking about (Atom AR) is fully wind resistant , and has varying insulation (60g, 80g, and 120g) depending on location on the garment (hood, body, arms). It's definitely warmer, but below about 15/20 degrees is where it bottoms out for me.

Just trying to get a comparison since it's hard to give temp ratings on jackets.

idig4au

WKR
what is ideal application for this parka? Glassing? Back in camp? Pit zips for dumping heat? What advantage is this over my treated down puffy insulating layer at half the weight or my synthetic with pit zips.

I'm trying to justify why I need one of these but I already have pufffy from FL (how do you spell it) , super down, and kenai jackets from Kuiu.