Kimber Montana vs. Tikka T3x Superlite vs. Savage 16 LWH (308)

Mike 338

WKR
Well, once again, I am totally impressed with the tikka t3 lite......this one was actually a t3x in 300 wsm that I am developing a load for one of my hunting partners last Sunday. These were the very first rounds shot out of it. I just picked a load from the berger manual with the 185 grain and reloder 17. Both 62 and 60 grains shot the same size groups. I think it has some promise.........

Randy.

View attachment 58250

Ha ha, those northern Europeans just keep mass producing scatterguns.

Fireguy

WKR
Below is shot number 4,5,6& 7 out of a brand new Tikka t3X Superlite in 308. I never got groups like these from my Montana's straight out of the box. Factory Hornady 178 ELD-X. Shoots the Hornady 168 ELD-M the same. Load development DONE hahahah!. That is why I switched to Tikkas. They are just so damn easy and accurate. This is the rifle my dad will be using. He was not going to tweak it, check it, torque this, file that, bed it, break it in etc. Mount scope, run a patch through bore, zero, and he is done. Has a SWFA 6X on it. He is very comfortable out to 500 right now and will use it on his Nevada elk hunt in a month. I just bought a Tikka 24" CTR in 6.5 creed that shoots equally well. I'm up to 6 Tikkas and ZERO Kimbers - and I was the die hard Kimber Montana guy.

VKXrsaW.jpg

FbzxxbV.jpg

Dude spill the beans on that stock. Is that your paint job? Looks cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle

WKR
I'm a tikka believer now myself. Bought a 30-06 superlite from GK and took it to the range, had it zeroed within 5 shots and then shot a cloverleaf three shot group before checking the drops hitting steel out to 500. Awesome guns.

Fireguy

WKR
Cool. I've seen a lot of painted guns but I thought yours kind of looked unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Below is shot number 4,5,6& 7 out of a brand new Tikka t3X Superlite in 308. I never got groups like these from my Montana's straight out of the box. Factory Hornady 178 ELD-X. Shoots the Hornady 168 ELD-M the same. Load development DONE hahahah!. That is why I switched to Tikkas. They are just so damn easy and accurate. This is the rifle my dad will be using. He was not going to tweak it, check it, torque this, file that, bed it, break it in etc. Mount scope, run a patch through bore, zero, and he is done. Has a SWFA 6X on it. He is very comfortable out to 500 right now and will use it on his Nevada elk hunt in a month. I just bought a Tikka 24" CTR in 6.5 creed that shoots equally well. I'm up to 6 Tikkas and ZERO Kimbers - and I was the die hard Kimber Montana guy.

VKXrsaW.jpg

FbzxxbV.jpg
Beautiful job on a great rifle. Good luck to your father on his hunt. I'll be in Northern Colorado for the 4th rifle season.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
T3x Superlite .308 box stock.

Barrel not cleaned in I don't know how many shots.

Probably a dozen shots down the tube in 20 minutes or so.

Factory ammo, Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Bonded Tip

100yds

Good enough for me.

9ce72123efa45422d4cefc6c96c0b078.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Great group. Probably dead center at 200 yds.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've owned 4 Monatanas and all have shot sub MOA for me. I have a 308 still and just picked my son up a 308 as well. I screwed a brake on it and changed the bolt handle to a fluted Ti for him and hit the range yesterday with it. I was a tad bit jealous because I shot three loads through it and all were sub 1/2". It took me a few loads to get mine the way I wanted it but I have it under 1/2" with 3 shots as well his was just easy. Here is the first 200 yard group with his.
IMG_0978.jpg
IMG_0971.jpg

Last edited:
OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Just so the conclusion of the original posts in the thread doesn't become occluded over time by continual contributions (which are greatly appreciated), I'm going to continue to reiterate that the intent as stated was to find a factory hunting load that shot MOA or better from a factory rifle. The Kimber Montana - after a lot of time at the range, several hundred dollars spent, and many varieties of factory hunting ammunition fired - did not deliver desired results, consistent with the intent of the investigation. The Tikka T3x Superlite in 308win, after a small fraction of the time, money, and ammunition sent downrange - delivered much better results, and fulfilled the original intent of the series of experiments.

Of note is that I turned around and, since the 308 Superlite had worked out so well, did the same thing a month or so later with a Tikka T3x Superlite in 300 win mag; a couple different types of ammunition attempted, and a winner was found that was sub-MOA (namely, Barnes VOR-TX, 180gr TTSX, if anyone is curious).

The original question never involved hand-loaded ammunition; only factory-loaded hunting ammunition was under consideration.