Kodiak canvas sizing

My wife and I have been dreaming about getting a Kodiak canvas tent, and we're on the fence between the 9x8 (four person) size and the 10x10 (six person). We aren't expecting to have more than the two of us using the tent. Maybe our medium sized dog on the floor. We'll either be sharing an air mattress or using cots. We're both under 6 feet tall, so I'm thinking both would have plenty of headroom. The 9x8 has 6'1" of headroom and the 10x10 has 6'6".

I know Kodiak Canvas tents are popular, so I figured I'd check in here. I'm wondering if anyone got one size and regretted not getting the other. The 9x8 is available for about $100 less. The size difference isn't huge, but I'm also concerned about campsite selection. Even in designated national forest campgrounds, I sometimes have a hard time finding a suitable spot for my REI half dome 2-man tent.

twall13

WKR
I don't have any experience with either of those sizes as my decision was between the 10x10 and the 10x14 with the later winning out. Having said that, I use my 10x14 mainly for family camping and have room for my wife and I plus 3 kids and all of our bags. I put two kids on cots and their bags go underneath the cots (I could really fit more under the cots but the more I put there the harder it is to access everything). That leaves enough room for my wife and I and our youngest plus another gear bag and a big buddy heater when needed. Basically, it can fit a lot of stuff.

If you are upgrading from a 2 man dome tent even the 9x8 will feel cavernous. The taller ceilings and nearly vertical walls really open things up and make it a more comfortable tent. If you are using cots you'll probably be fine in the smaller tent as you can store gear under the cots, otherwise I might upgrade to the 10x10 if I were in your shoes. Either way you go, you'll love the tents. They go up quick and easy, are incredibly durable and since they are canvas, they breath. No waking up to condensation all over the interior of your tent. Mine has withstood some pretty heavy rain/wind storms without a drop of water getting inside. When I'm hunting/hiking I typically prefer to sleep in a hammock, but for bringing the family along it's tough to beat the Kodiak's. Good luck with your decision.

geriggs

WKR
I have 10x10 and it's great for two with cots but no more. Pads, three should be fine. Great tent

jb79

WKR
I stayed in my buddies 10x10 and it was just him and I with cots and all of our hunting gear and it was really roomy! That said another cot would have changed things a lot, would have fit across the back but someone is head to head and the other is while.... Head to stinky feet! For two with a dog I would go 10x10 all day!

Weekender

WKR
I have a 10x14 that's great for family camping. We use 2 bunk bed disco cots which great of family of 4. Still have floor space for the dog and mr.buddy heater. Multiple days of rain and mr.buddy did cause some condensation which has put the thought of putting a small wood burner in it. Otherwise never leaked with 2 weeks straight rain just condensation.

Jethro

WKR
For you guys that have them, what model? Basic or the Deluxe with the extra windows/doors and ventilation up top? Just curious if the extra ventilation is needed.

twall13

WKR
For you guys that have them, what model? Basic or the Deluxe with the extra windows/doors and ventilation up top? Just curious if the extra ventilation is needed.

I got the deluxe model with the added ventilation up top and I like it. They are just little vents along the top on each end but they seem to help in certain situations. I've left the vents open during some pretty good rainstorms and the design has prevented water from entering the tent. I think it gives just a little added ventilation to help prevent any condensation. I don't think they add much ventilation for say an extremely warm day but the doors on each side can be opened so they are just mesh and that will allow a decent cross breeze.

Since I purchased mine they have come out with a newer model called Flex-bow VX that has a larger triangle shape on the sides that can be opened up for ventilation. I would only get that version if I planned on using the tent in some pretty hot climates as I believe it's a bit more money. Those are my thoughts anyway... Good luck.

OP
W
Sounds like 10x10 is the way to go. Finally got a chance to see one in person and it seemed like the perfect size.

RUTTIN

WKR
d9ef01c407de179b50c8e48b89a1522d.jpg
i love my 10x14

When buying car camping tents or gun safes...the rule is the same. Go bigger than you you think you need. They shrink pretty quick.

Rackmastr

WKR
Does the vestibule shelter close up for colder/bad weather?

Sorry never used one of these so just going by pics online and trying to figure things out.

I have one of these that I've been thinking about selling. If you're interested, I can send more info, just let me know.