Kuiu Kenai Ultra hooded vs Sitka Kelvin Lite hoody

Similar priced for similar uses...

Thoughts on warmth, durability, usability??
I have the regular hooded Kenai and a Sitka Kelvin Lite without hood.

I like the Kenai for warmth and the pit zips. Seems more durable.

Like the Sitka Kelvin Lite for packability. Seems more fragile but I haven't really tested it for how tough it is.

The insulation types are different. Sitka uses “traditional” synthetic insulation while the Kenai uses insulation that is better for active wear.

In addition to the compressibility that toadmeister mentioned, wind comes through the Kenai more.

Which is better depends on your use. I like the Kenai in colder weather, when I’m wearing an insulated jacket while hiking, but I prefer the Sitka style for stationary glassing.

I have the Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody, but not the Kenai. The Kelvin Lite is super light, packable, sheds wind like its not even blowing, layers well, and is noisy. I've never put its durability to the test, but in general I'm a big fan. I wish I had a solid color one to wear around town.

I have the Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody, but not the Kenai. The Kelvin Lite is super light, packable, sheds wind like its not even blowing, layers well, and is noisy. I've never put its durability to the test, but in general I'm a big fan. I wish I had a solid color one to wear around town.
Good point there, Kelvin can be a little crinkly. Kenai is dead silent.

Kenai is one of my favorite pieces but think of it as a sweater. Definitely need a shell of some kind over it if windy.

OP
Dhbwa

Dhbwa

WKR
Thanks guys. About what I thought. The new version Kenai has my attention. I already have lots of down puffies. Like that it’s silent and breathable.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with everything said so far, just want to point out what I found to be their strong points.

Kenai (mine was the original)
* quiet, breathable, versatile
* cut a little better for lanky people

Kelvin lite hoodie
* cuts wind well
* not sure if any other synthetic packs this small (not quite as good as down)
* cut has more girth
* very simple and effective hood cinch
*sheds water better

Warmth was close if the kenai has a shell over it. Durability impressed me on the kenai, didn’t really test the Sitka.
For a cool to warm archery hunt it would be the kenai. For a one and done short trip leave the rain jacket in the truck it’s the Sitka.

After selling both and going back to a down jacket I miss the kenai more than the Sitka.

JD619er

WKR
I've had both and much prefer the Kenai. Anything before November in the mountains and it's going with me as my only insulation. Late season its still a layering piece that i supplement with a lofty down vest. The fact that it's silent, breathable, and has pit zipsakes it suitable for many purposes. I always have a rain shell so I don't need a puffy that blocks the wind. I have several of them. I actually have two for sale in the classifieds. The new ultra version.