Kuiu vs Kifaru

MIKEYB

WKR
I picked up a kifaru LPP this year when they were on sale. Pleasantly surprised with it. Most I ever paid for a “puffy”. I have a few other light synthetic and down puffy that I use early to mid season Eddie Bauer, old golite, and a cabelas. I had the LPP in Wyoming this year down to 0 this year and it kept me comfortably warm when not moving and around camp. If I was moving it came off and was way to hot.

Really like the features on it. Cordura reinforced panels, big kangaroo pouch that is now insulated. Two front deep pockets. High collar and removable hood. I did not find it overly bulky. I would be cold at camp, put it on and feel instant warmth. My uncle had the unpronounceable and was chilly in it. I kept mentioning how warm I was and how much I was impressed with the LPP, now he is getting one for x-mas.

My buddy wore his LPP for September archery season and I thought he was crazy. I think he had a shitty sleeping bag and the LPP kept him warm.

Not tested but I feel if I was out a night away from camp the LPP would keep me comfortable around 20deg. I hear pants are in the works. And if they are I will be getting some for sure.

No experience with the kuiu puffys, I have soft shell of theirs but never gets any use.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
Are people referring to the Kuiu Ultra jackets or the Kuiu Pro jackets? Since they’re pretty different jackets, I’m trying to figure out some of the replies. I’m wondering is some of the comments about the Kifaru being warmer are referring to the Kuiu Ultra or the Kuiu Pro?

I’m in the market for a puffy and since I’m considering the Kuiu, Kifaru and First Lite, I’m really interested in this thread. Just a little confused since ‘the Kuiu’ is being thrown around without clarity about WHICH of their jackets folks are referring to. I wish I could find alternative jackets that come in natural colors or camo. There are some climbing/mountaineering jackets that might suit my needs but I have no interest in a teal or red or bright blue jacket. Lol! I want a solid natural tone or camo.

I thought the Sitka Kelvin Down was a possibility but it’s only available in the Open Country pattern (that I’m not a big fan of) and it’s been discontinued for 2018. Most importantly, it’s 27oz! That’s 7oz more than the Kifaru (that’s cheaper) and 13oz more than the Kuiu Pro.

I’m assuming (from what you wrote) that you, and many people in this thread, referring to the Kuiu Ultra Down jacket and not the newer Super Down Pro hooded jacket?

I’m asking because the specs on the 2 different jackets are pretty different - I think the Pro jacket has 2x the down (and I’m guessing 2x the warmth) as well as a more durable outer material. Do you think that the Kuiu Super Down Pro jacket might approach the warmth of the Kifaru LPP, especially with an additional outer layer or a down shirt under it? The incredible light weight is REALLY attractive to me.

I’ve owned a Kuiu Super Down shirt (discontinued ) since the first year they offered Super Down and this thing has been AWESOME as a part of my layering system! If I ever wear it out I’m going to be crushed. Lol! Anyway, I’m in the market for a puffy jacket and I plan to utilize the down shirt as well. I’m almost wondering if all I really need is the Kuiu Ultra down jacket (pair it with the down shirt on really cold days) or whether I ought to step up to the Ultra Down Pro jacket? I would think that the Ultra Down Pro over my down shirt would certainly give me warmth comparable to the Kifaru LPP, or ‘no?’ I really love Kifaru products but it really hard to beat the weight reduction of the down jackets and they sure do pack down tiny in your hunting pack or day pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have to have camo, check out Feathered Friends. I may wind up going this route.

Are people referring to the Kuiu Ultra jackets or the Kuiu Pro jackets? Since they’re pretty different jackets, I’m trying to figure out some of the replies. I’m wondering is some of the comments about the Kifaru being warmer are referring to the Kuiu Ultra or the Kuiu Pro?

I’m in the market for a puffy and since I’m considering the Kuiu, Kifaru and First Lite, I’m really interested in this thread. Just a little confused since ‘the Kuiu’ is being thrown around without clarity about WHICH of their jackets folks are referring to. I wish I could find alternative jackets that come in natural colors or camo. There are some climbing/mountaineering jackets that might suit my needs but I have no interest in a teal or red or bright blue jacket. Lol! I want a solid natural tone or camo.

I thought the Sitka Kelvin Down was a possibility but it’s only available in the Open Country pattern (that I’m not a big fan of) and it’s been discontinued for 2018. Most importantly, it’s 27oz! That’s 7oz more than the Kifaru (that’s cheaper) and 13oz more than the Kuiu Pro.

I’m assuming (from what you wrote) that you, and many people in this thread, referring to the Kuiu Ultra Down jacket and not the newer Super Down Pro hooded jacket?

I’m asking because the specs on the 2 different jackets are pretty different - I think the Pro jacket has 2x the down (and I’m guessing 2x the warmth) as well as a more durable outer material. Do you think that the Kuiu Super Down Pro jacket might approach the warmth of the Kifaru LPP, especially with an additional outer layer or a down shirt under it? The incredible light weight is REALLY attractive to me.

I’ve owned a Kuiu Super Down shirt (discontinued ) since the first year they offered Super Down and this thing has been AWESOME as a part of my layering system! If I ever wear it out I’m going to be crushed. Lol! Anyway, I’m in the market for a puffy jacket and I plan to utilize the down shirt as well. I’m almost wondering if all I really need is the Kuiu Ultra down jacket (pair it with the down shirt on really cold days) or whether I ought to step up to the Ultra Down Pro jacket? I would think that the Ultra Down Pro over my down shirt would certainly give me warmth comparable to the Kifaru LPP, or ‘no?’ I really love Kifaru products but it really hard to beat the weight reduction of the down jackets and they sure do pack down tiny in your hunting pack or day pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The kifaru comes in coyote brown, if you want non camo. I have only owned 2 puffy jackets, a down Columbia and I currently wear the kifaru lpp. I guess I like the kifaru lpp, but am considering trying another. Personally, I dont think it is the same as wearing a sleeping bag. It is warm, but I think that is an inaccurate comparison.

My biggest beef with it is that it is an anorak. It is a good jacket, just very annoying to pull on over your head, and then take off. In terms of noise, it makes far more noise to don and take off than a zippered jacket would make.

The kangaroo pocket I dont find to be very hepful either.

However, it hasnt been replaced yet, because it still keeps me reasonably warm and as of yet, I am too cheap to replace it when it does the job. That said, I hope to find one eventually that packs smaller, keeps me warm, and ISN'T an anorak.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk