KUIU's new tent???

Browtine

WKR
I just used their tent in the worst weather I have ever been in and it was rock solid.

Be careful what people may be saying. There are no pole sleeves on their tents to tear, none, so someone just talking to talk.

Please don't cloud everyone's Kuiu bias with real world experience! ;)

I just used their tent in the worst weather I have ever been in and it was rock solid.

Be careful what people may be saying. There are no pole sleeves on their tents to tear, none, so someone just talking to talk.

As I stated in my original post I have not used the tent but reading reviews of others who have and I did miss quote, he stated the stitching on the pole clips let go not pole sleeves. My bad, but I can assure you that I do not talk just to hear myself talk, was merely stating that it might be wise to wait till the tent was field proven.

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
MMM, my comment was directed at you, just about what people sometimes report.

Those clips are stretched super tight when the tent is set up, but mine had no signs of tearing and my tent took a beating.

Manosteel

WKR
No offence RosinBag but you have been the biggest kuiu booster in the last 6+ months, either you are on a pro staff type deal and getting gear for free or discounted; either way, too say your opinions are unbiased doesn't pass the smell test. I have read either the same or similar reports as MM Mike. Waiting a year to hear/read what people have to say about the tent isn't a bad idea, some might even call it good advice. And too discount what other people have read/heard about a product because they haven't personally tried is ridiculous. Using that logic forums like this would be useless.

I'm no kuiuteer, in fact I probably won't buy anything else from them, But all of the first hand experience in this thread is positive. I have searched heaps and haven't found any forum topics shit canning the tents yet.

16Bore

WKR
No offence RosinBag but you have been the biggest kuiu booster in the last 6+ months, either you are on a pro staff type deal and getting gear for free or discounted; either way, too say your opinions are unbiased doesn't pass the smell test. I have read either the same or similar reports as MM Mike. Waiting a year to hear/read what people have to say about the tent isn't a bad idea, some might even call it good advice. And too discount what other people have read/heard about a product because they haven't personally tried is ridiculous. Using that logic forums like this would be useless.

The 45 minute drive from Dixon to Roseville might be a hint........

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
16Bore, my opinions on the Kuiu stuff comes from actually using it, not looking at it, reading about it or hearing about it.

When Mano posted about reading the tent sleeves were failing, I stated that there are no tent sleeves so be careful what you read .

And for anyone who says they are part of Kuiu's Pro Staff, think again , they don't have one .

I live about. 40 minutes from their store and work about 20 minutes from them. I have the ability to stop in and try items out in person before ever buying them. I have also seen what Jason and Shaun do to particular items to test them and no they are not making junk.

Too many people write about many products they have never used to just to feel included in a particular topic, I am not one of them.

I know Kuiu isn't perfect and have had their issues with some products, that happens when designing products like their first icon packs.

They are not reinventing the wheel with their clothes, gloves, gaiters or tents . They are using newer materials and some small design changes , but essentially they are like many other products.

Other than the first series of Icon Frames, I don't know of any significant issues with their clothes, pack bags, gloves , gaiters, etc.

And like every other person posting, take my opinion as it is, just mine, but know it came from using the product.

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
So now if anybody corrects misinformation on KUIU products or gives positive reviews their credibility is going to be called out ? Hear say over in hand experience is better ? Attack the guy that reports actual usage over hear say ? I'd say this is an official KUIU thread , started off OK , ends up ridiculous .

Slim Jim

WKR
Doug (Rosinbag) is a stand up guy giving lots of great info over the years and always willing to help. Show a little respect

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey gents, I don't take any of the above comments personally, Mano corrected his post and said he misquoted it, that happens. I don't know 16Bore, but he was voicing his opinion, which was based on his take on my comments.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the above picture shows how the fly attaches to the poles, with the clips and there are actually 4 large hub style clips also. If there is a potential for these clips to fail it would be where they are sewn to the fly, it is only about a 1/2" wide. This was my second trip and I have 10 nights in it. First trip was little to no weather, but this last one was the worst I had been if for wind and rain together. My clips had no issues.

Also, under each of those clips is another junction of clips that attach the fly to the main body of the tent. No a hook style clip like the pole clip, but a male / female type. This is what makes this tent better than most to me. If it is pouring down rain out, I can set the tent up and only the fly is exposed to the elements, which I had to do. This keeps the inner tent dry under those circumstances. There are not many offerings in the tent world with exterior poles like this, some, but not many. The vestibule is also big enough, that when it was raining hard, I put my pack inside the vestibule with my bow on top of that. There was some rain that got onto the lower part of my pack at the corners of the vestibule, but at least the majority was covered.

And if you look at the design of this tent, it isn't anything mind blowing, looks like many other 1P tents out there, but with a few design changes. The first and obvious is the poles on the exterior. The second that many don't realize the angle at the head and foot which the tent body slopes to the ground. It is a pretty good angle, maybe 80 degrees or so, which gives me more useable space at the foot and head as the pole structure pulls the tent body away at such an angle. The opening is also fairly large, so it does make it easy to get in and out of without to many gymnastics skills.

16Bore

WKR
I couldn't return the U6K quick enough and the merino "blend" top was a joke. Give me Dana Design and First Lite. But you makes your choices and spend yo money. Like I said, don't buy seafood at a steak house. Will I ever buy more Kuiu branded gear? Dunno, but so far my experience is that its a logo with some shit attached.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
16Bore, what didn't you like about the U6K? People may want to know what your thoughts on it are. I never owned one as it isn't in my need of packs to this point. I am guessing you didn't get to use it a great deal or they wouldn't have returned it for you, but something didn't make it right for you. And what about the merino shirt, what specifically didn't you like?

And make no mistake, the Dana Design and First Lite are top tier companies that have many great products, so I could see why one could choose them.

Do you own any other Kuiu items that you do like?

The best thing I like about Kuiu is that they support hunting 100%. They also make some good quality gear. That said I only own clothes, gaiters, and bino harness from them. I have stayed away from their packs and tents mostly because it is hard to get these items right the first time; I will let others continue to beta test for them with their tents, bags and packs. I may try one in the future.

Glad to hear the tent is working out for you RosinBag... I see no reason why it should not work great for guys this fall. As you said, it's not like they reinvented the wheel, just tweaked it a bit.

Any more pics or videos?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just went through my videos and they are terrible quality. I have more pics of them set up, nothing fancy.

My videos were taken from a little point and shoot, I should have taken my video camera.

I've not read anything rosin has posted that I would view as kuiuteerish as shrek likes to put it, although I disagree on his comments about the packs. The tent is a reworked and better designed msr hubba. Again this is from looking at the specs and photos. I have zero time with the tent. As Long as the tent holds up it will be fine. Not my kinda tent and not really interested in it. Rosin I thought I read you were using the 2p somewhere? Did you buy both the tents?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
TT7, I have used the 2p on a two night trip. That is when I realized the overall footprint was just to big for my needs. 2 entrances and 2 vestibules just made it to wide for me.

I went with the 1P as the footprint is much better for my use.

Such as our second camp in Nevada was set up in a kicked out deer bed. There is a photo of it in that thread. I couldn't pull the vestibule all the way out, but the sleeping area fit just fine.