KUIU's new tent???

So rosin no disrespect but you never answered the question. You said they have no prostaff team but not if you were recieving discounts on their gear. It's a fair question, kuiu made a huge deal about Aron working for kifaru and how his opinions had to be heavily biased because of that. Every kuiu topic on here you are involved in. So just to be clear I have no problem with you being associated with kuiu, if you are good for you. I just think it's fair to disclose it is all and by associated I mean you receive discounts or free gear from them. So fair question, are you associated with kuiu?

jwb300

WKR
Thanks for the feedback Rosin - you have however created another dilemma for me. 1p or 2p??

I like having a bit more space in the tent so I could bring my pack and rifle/bow in if required but I also sometimes stay in steep country where you mightn't have room for a 2p! It seems like you made the 2p fit on a small flat spot. Did it pitch ok?

Cheers,
JWB300

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jwb300 I only used the 2p on big flat areas, the steep deer bed was the 1p. I think you could have squeezed the 2p in, but I don't think it would have been pitched to use all it's interior space and certainly no vestibules pulled out to use.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pyro, to your question, I have been part of the guides and outfitters program since the day Kuiu started it. I got into that program because of my affiliation with Relentless365. It basically is about the same prices as their garage sales or bargain closet stuff, 20-25%.

But for example, last year Kryptek gave me a complete set up of gear, some where near $1500 worth. I tried it for the year and decided I didn't like it as well as My Kuiu clothing. When Kryptek called at the beginning of this year and asked about more, I respectfully declined more free gear, not discounted, but free. Not because their product is not as good, but personal fit, feel and needs.

I am also on pro staff with four major archery companies. All of those are because I believe they are the beat for my personal needs. I turned down pro staff opportunities with two bow companies because I was loyal to the one I thought was the best for me until one day I finally got my foot in the door with them.

I am not paid by any if these companies and most have a level of pro staff. Cam Haynes calls and gets his stuff overnighted, I call and get out in hold, order something, pay a reduced rate and it ships when it ships.

So u will let you know again, I use what I think works and fits best for me, nothing more and nothing less.

I don't think comparing my situation to Aron's is quite the same, but that's my opinion.

And realize I ran the original Icon when they first came out and sold them off as they didn't meet my needs. So discount or not, if I don't think it will help me succeed in my hunting or tournaments, I am not going to use it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
And probably not the best thread to post this in, but if you are a public safety toe employee or military, you can get discounts in about 500 different brands of gear at:

LEOAdventures
Promotive
GovX

Discounts from 25% to 50% on everything from socks to optics.

I have used Leoadventures in the past, but not currently. I am on promotive and will check out govx. Thank you for answering the question, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful in anyway but felt it fair to ask.

16Bore

WKR
16Bore, what didn't you like about the U6K? People may want to know what your thoughts on it are. I never owned one as it isn't in my need of packs to this point. I am guessing you didn't get to use it a great deal or they wouldn't have returned it for you, but something didn't make it right for you. And what about the merino shirt, what specifically didn't you like?

And make no mistake, the Dana Design and First Lite are top tier companies that have many great products, so I could see why one could choose them.

Do you own any other Kuiu items that you do like?

That horse has been beat.......

Only piece I have now is the "climbing belt", but it's hard to screw up a belt. Might try the merino beano. Can't say I'll touch a tent or bag, especially because there are tent makers and bag makers that make and sell tents and bags for less dough and more show. Kuiu likes to build up anticipation to a new idea, then the "launch" to the loyal. Pretty good model I reckon. The whole testing the U6K drama was a bit much. Can't say I wouldn't try some outerwear, but ain't in a hurry as First Lite gets my first look.

16Bore

WKR
For sure. Be curious to hear what pieces of gear you think are shit though...

16Bore - I am watching this from the side with no dawg in the fight but I thought I would let you know that you are coming off as a big arse. My suggestion would be to chill out. Maybe you don't care and if not so be it.

dotman

WKR
I don't' think Rosin ever said the others were "shit" just that he preferred Kuiu. Nothing wrong with preferring something, heck I prefer Kryptek over Kuiu but that is my own preference. Rosin is lucky in that he has the opportunity to try a bunch of stuff at a reduced price, nothing wrong with that. I was glad he dropped Kryptek, I picked up a few of his items at a great price when he sold them :).

What works for him is just that, it worked for him and probably a few others. I have wondered if he got a Kuiu sponsorship or something but I never for one second thought he would push gear he didn't believe in. I don't know him but I respect him, now that doesn't mean I agree on his likes which really doesn't matter. It is great he is testing out all this gear and giving us feedback.

For sure. Be curious to hear what pieces of gear you think are shit though...

Well he turned down a full kit of kryptek so I would imagine he doesn't like it as well as his other stuff. Rosin next time just take the gear and I'll drive down and grab it. Size XL:D

16Bore

WKR
16Bore - I am watching this from the side with no dawg in the fight but I thought I would let you know that you are coming off as a big arse. My suggestion would be to chill out. Maybe you don't care and if not so be it.

Maybe stay on the sideline with your dawg then. Point being never ask a barber if you need a haircut. Guys that wanna be "pro-staff" generally ride right in the middle as to keep status with the fellas offering discounts. If you want a "real" review, look at what came out 5 years ago and see whats still around. Crap has a way of sorting itself out.

Good stuff stays good stuff and new and improved seldom is....

16Bore

WKR
.....minute by the minute.

But good point(s). What a waste of (my) time.

OP
Coyote Commander
Sigh.

I will say, Kuiu's perpetual lack of inventory gets infuriating. They may have good gear, but nobody can ever get it apparently. Unless you pre-order 12 months in advance and than get stuck on a 6 month backorder list. I mean geez, the tents were only available on their site for a month before they were pulled.

Part of me thinks they should work on keeping things they make available rather than expanding their line further.

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
It is well known if you want something from KUIU you need to plan ahead and pre-order. They're not gonna stock thousands of those tents. There are tons of other options out there and I would look elsewhere. I have wanted some stuff that is backordered and eventually went with my 2nd choices from other companies.

OP
Coyote Commander
Thats what I did.

It was between the Kuiu and the Big Sky Revolution (pretty much the same tent).

Ended up with the Big Sky.

My gripe with the lack of inventory, lets say you FINALLY get your piece of Kuiu gear. And lets say you have a warranty issue with it. If its close to, or during hunting season, youre pretty much screwed on having it replaced in an even remotely timely fashion.