Laser on a bear defense gun?

Was looking to get light for my xdm 10mm. I was planning on going with a Streamlight TLR-1 HL when I noticed they make a TLR-2 HL, which looks to be the same thing plus a laser. Besides weight and price, any reason not to get the one with the laser? Anyone else run a laser?

I always thought lasers were gimmicky, and I feel like it would get lost in a bears fur... but it can't hurt right?

Last edited:
Holster capability would be a big downside. It’s not that you couldn’t get one but it would force you into the custom route with fewer companies versus a TLR-1 or Surefire X300 where they are widely supported lights.

I’d focus on a closed emitter red dot and forget about the laser.

I wouldn’t even consider it. Lasers should stay in soccer mom’s purses. Learn to shoot irons or a dot. Front sight focus is what it’s all about. Ask yourself- do ANY of the pros/shooting sport guys dick around with a laser? There’s are reasons for why they use what the do.

Several years back I started playing with Crimson Trace grips. I did a lot of shooting with them on different platforms (G20, G23, G19, J-frames, N-frames...later on LCR's). End result on all platforms (for me) was the following:

1. I'm faster on first and follow-up shots with irons when shooting from variations of a normal stance where I'm behind the gun in light where the target and sights can be seen, even dim light.
2. From bad angles, basically any setup where I'm not "behind" the gun in a good shooting stance, the laser was helpful.
3. I wear rx glasses or contacts for vison correction. Shooting without corrected vision, the laser was helpful.
4. In very low light, low enough that it's tough to make out the aiming point on the target and sights, it was quicker to pick up the laser than front sights. This was true for me even with night sights.

This was all done drawing from a holster and shooting a stationary target, no moving targets.

Holster capability would be a big downside. It’s not that you couldn’t get one but it would force you into the custom route with fewer companies versus a TLR-1 or Surefire X300 where they are widely supported lights.

I’d focus on a closed emitter red dot and forget about the laser.
Sadly, I'm already forced into the custom route because I bought the "OSP" model xdm that has a threaded barrel and suppressor height sights. I also added a Holosun 507c already.

Hosking Holsters actually lists the TLR-2 as a option which is sort of what prompted this.

Sadly, I'm already forced into the custom route because I bought the "OSP" model xdm that has a threaded barrel and suppressor height sights. I also added a Holosun 507c already.

Hosking Holsters actually lists the TLR-2 as an option which is sort of what prompted this.
Laser, Holosun, and co-witness sights? Seems redundant and potentially confusing. Less tactical = more effective.

Laser, Holosun, and co-witness sights? Seems redundant and potentially confusing. Less tactical = more effective.
This is true. I find even the co-witness sights distracting, but I was worried about what would happen if my red dot died. Truth be told, it is difficult to see the front sight through the glass.

I've never thought of myself as a "tacticool" person, but I get into these "what if" scenarios and can see how others trend that way. Now here I am on an internet forum asking about slapping a laser on my handgun...

This will be my carry gun. If you want a aid, do a red dot. More holster support for red dots, or easy to modify. If you learn with a red dot, it becomes instinct. I'm leaving my suppressor sights on for now, but once I'm fully comfortable with my red dot I'll probably lose them.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you use if you don't train with it. In a bear defense situation, all you need is a front sight due to how close that ball of fuze is coming at you.

Attachments

• 20231220_150453.jpg
    20231220_150453.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 16
Was looking to get light for my xdm 10mm. I was planning on going with a Streamlight TLR-1 HL when I noticed they make a TLR-2 HL, which looks to be the same thing plus a laser. Besides weight and price, any reason not to get the one with the laser? Anyone else run a laser?

I always thought lasers were gimmicky, and I feel like it would get lost in a bears fur... but it can't hurt right?
Kinda like a horn on a bicycle - nothing functionally wrong with having one, but some other kids will poke fun at it.

I think you will find a laser to be a hinderance more than help especially outdoors.

I spend quite a bit of time in country where grizzlies could be and think through all these things also. Admittedly I have only seen two grizzlies and neither time did I feel the need to draw or even reach for my pistol, at the time being a .44 mag revolver and the closest of those bears being 20 yards.
I now carry an XD 10 and have a light with a laser on the gun. I look at it this way, there’s a good chance your first shots on a bear will be from retention right out of the holster without picking up the sights and in those situations, perhaps a laser may help get that first shot on target a little quicker.
The other likely scenario is stumbling upon a bear at night or having one in camp at night or worst case, you’re in the tent and have to react from the nylon taco. These are times where a light and laser may help getting on target in low light conditions.
Just my opinion and maybe people will disagree but I anticipate the shots will be close and possibly engaging right as the gun clears the holster. With that, however, you have to practice hitting the on switch for whatever light/laser you choose.

Back