What 6mm for a trainer and a hunting rifle?

SDHNTR

WKR
Kinda considering building a 6mm for a trainer and a hunting rifle. I want to shoot the piss out of it, so I want something easy to shoot, has inexpensive components, and doesn’t burn barrels (no 6 creed).

Thinking maybe 6GT. I know they are popular with PRS, and other shooting games (which I have zero interest in), but is there a reason why the round hasn’t caught on with hunters? Is there anything I’m missing? The specs look ideal. Talk me in or out? Is there something better suited I should be considering? Probably stuffed into a Bighorn Origin and some prefit.

Any other 6’s I need to consider? Dasher, XC, ARC? Pros and cons?

Last edited:

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered a tikka .243 with the 8 twist barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSI

WKR
Now that there's reasonably priced and avail factory ammo, I'd go GT. With a bighorn you could go ARC but I don't see the advantage in a gas gun.

-J

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Have you considered a tikka .243 with the 8 twist barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meh. I’m not much of a Tikka guy. I realize they are great performing rifles, but I want a true short action and no plastic.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Now that there's reasonably priced and avail factory ammo, I'd go GT. With a bighorn you could go ARC but I don't see the advantage in a gas gun.

-J
Don’t need factory ammo, I reload, but do need available components.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
What action do you want to use?
What barrel length?
What bullet?
Bighorn Origin SA, as stated, and some prefit steel 20ish” length. I want to be able to carry it without hating it. Doesn’t need to be featherweight tho. 6.5-7 lbs, sans optic. I’ll probably want to stick with a non lead mono, at least for hunting, and perhaps work up a second lead load for cheaper practice.

Lawnboi

WKR
Bighorn Origin, as stated, and some prefit steel 20ish” length. I want to be able to carry it without hating it. Doesn’t need to be featherweight tho. 6.5-7 lbs, sans optic. I’ll probably want to stick with a non lead mono.
Personally with those requirements, meaning specifically the barrel length, and the mono, is just buy 2 identically reamed 6 creed barrels. 6br would be cool, but in a rem 700 clone your dealing with big aics mags. Not sure anyone makes a br 5 rounder. On top of that you are going to be lacking velocity unless you go with a longer barrel.

The gt has some appeal but again you’re going to be lacking velocity as it was esentially designed to make a 105 go 2800-2900 at game gun length.

If I were going with a br or a gt for a hunting rifle I would go tikka and take advantage of those flush mags.

6 arc would not be on my radar till some decent brass hit the streets

BjornF16

WKR
Coin toss 6ARC or 6GT.

Disadvantages:
6ARC ppc bolt face
6GT factory ammo options

I’ve long wanted a 6br but went creed in a recent build for the same purpose because of factory ammo. Don’t have time to shoot much less load anymore.

The only thing with the BR cases is make sure you’re confident you’ll get them to feed in your desired configuration. I’ve heard the GT isn’t foolproof in regard to feeding in standard SA mags either.

The other thing is velocity is nice if you’re going to be using it in CA with monos.

I’d do a 6mm ARC. I’m not sure 6GT is going to net you that much more barrel life. The only thing that’s not super available right now is brass, but that’s soon to get better.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Personally with those requirements, meaning specifically the barrel length, and the mono, is just buy 2 identically reamed 6 creed barrels. 6br would be cool, but in a rem 700 clone your dealing with big aics mags. Not sure anyone makes a br 5 rounder. On top of that you are going to be lacking velocity unless you go with a longer barrel.

The gt has some appeal but again you’re going to be lacking velocity as it was esentially designed to make a 105 go 2800-2900 at game gun length.

If I were going with a br or a gt for a hunting rifle I would go tikka and take advantage of those flush mags.

6 arc would not be on my radar till some decent brass hit the streets
Wait, I should have specified this earlier, big mags are a total deal killer. Hate em. I need flush mount DBM or BDL.

Lawnboi

WKR
Wait, I should have specified this earlier, big mags are a total deal killer. Hate em. I need flush mount DBM or BDL.
You might be able to make the gt work In a flush or 5 round 700.

6 creed would allow flush or bdl use.

That would probably take a br or variant off my list, along with the arc

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
You might be able to make the gt work In a flush or 5 round 700.

6 creed would allow flush or bdl use.

That would probably take a br or variant off my list, along with the arc
That’s helpful, thanks.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
2800-2900 seems easily doable out of a 20” barrel, right? I’m seeing plenty of 3000+ reports with longer barrels. 28-2900 is enough for my needs. I wouldn’t be shooting critters much past 500 ish with this gun, I have others for that.