What 6mm for a trainer and a hunting rifle?

SD, the 6x45 or 6 tcu check every box you are looking for. since you reload and have a .223 it is the perfect round as you already have brass. it makes a perfect trainer and is plenty capable of getting out there at the speeds you want.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I chose a 6creed myself for your reasoning here (i.e., similar barrel life). But ammo is generally more available and cheaper on a 243, so for a trainer I’d give it the nod over 6creed. That said, I wouldn’t (and didn’t) choose either for a trainer rifle.
I switched to a 6 creed after shooting the 243 for years, because the 6 creed ammo is more available and cheaper than the 243 now.

atmat

WKR
I switched to a 6 creed after shooting the 243 for years, because the 6 creed ammo is more available and cheaper than the 243 now.
Oh wow, that’s awesome. Around me it’s way easier to procure 243 than 6creed. And there’s a ton more factory options for the non-reloader. I still prefer my 6creed though.

ID_Matt

WKR
If you are OK with AW or AICS mags using a spacer, I think the dasher would make an awesome practice gun. Alpha brass and the alpha reamer is the easy button. My current tube has just under 2,000 rounds and I haven't touched my velocity or load since it was broken in.

amassi

WKR
I chose a 6creed myself for your reasoning here (i.e., similar barrel life). But ammo is generally more available and cheaper on a 243, so for a trainer I’d give it the nod over 6creed. That said, I wouldn’t (and didn’t) choose either for a trainer rifle.

Not a lot of factory match 243 ammo rolling around.
108 eld m match ammo is everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
Coin toss 6ARC or 6GT.

Disadvantages:
6ARC ppc bolt face
6GT factory ammo options

His Origin has the ability to quickly, at minimal cost, swap in a 6 ARC.

I am biased towards the 6 ARC. My trainer is a 6 ARCSavage that shoots lights out. Not only are there inexpensive bullets available, but the powder charge is rather small given the velocity one can get.

The only disadvantage is brass availability, but it is easy to convert 6.5 Grendel brass. Furthermore, Starline has started to roll out 6 ARC headstamped brass.

His Origin has the ability to quickly, at minimal cost, swap in a 6 ARC.

I am biased towards the 6 ARC. My trainer is a 6 ARCSavage that shoots lights out. Not only are there inexpensive bullets available, but the powder charge is rather small given the velocity one can get.

The only disadvantage is brass availability, but it is easy to convert 6.5 Grendel brass. Furthermore, Starline has started to roll out 6 ARC headstamped brass.

Are magazine options/feeding any better with 6 ARC than 6br for a guy who doesn't want mags hanging below the stock?

280Ackley

WKR
I am very happy with my Savage 6arc. I loaded up some 108eldm with cfe223 from resized Grendel brass. They are shooting Moa at almost 2900fps.

Tx270WT

FNG
Since you aren’t set on a specific cartridge, why does it have to be a 6mm? There are good options in other calibers for what you’re asking to do.

Unckebob

WKR
Are magazine options/feeding any better with 6 ARC than 6br for a guy who doesn't want mags hanging below the stock?

My 6ARC is in a MDT Chassis and it feeds fine from the metal mags I bought. I forgot the brand, but they come with a little spacer at the back so everything feeds right.

I don't know how well a 6BR feeds.

Since you aren’t set on a specific cartridge, why does it have to be a 6mm? There are good options in other calibers for what you’re asking to do.

Guessing because it's got more oomph than a 223 and once you get above a 6mm in hunting weight rifle recoil makes things less fun to shoot a bunch.

Tx270WT

FNG
While not my personal favorite, this sounds like a job for a 6.5 loading.