Let's help some guys/gals get their first archery elk!

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
I definitely qualify. I'd welcome any feedback.

I successfully killed a Bull in an OIL Draw in the Wichita Mountains in 2017. But the success rates there are ridiculous, and it took very little true hunting experience to accomplish. So we can toss that out.

I've coached Little League Football for 12 years, so hunting Elk out west, was on the backburner. 2022 we got eliminated from the playoffs early of my last season, and I decided Spur of the moment I wanted to go Elk hunting. Had no idea what I was doing. Bought an OTC tag. I was ill-prepared. Had limited knowledge of the hunt area. I saw elk and tons of Muleys. It was a start. And that mattered more than anything.

Year 1: 2022 CO - 2nd Rifle for Elk (Bull tag). I hunted 4 1/2 days. Only had 2-3 weeks of planning. Had no idea what I was look at E-scouting. Just can't fathom what the side of a mountain looks like with just topo lines until you see the side of the mountain. Learned a crap ton every day.
1st full day hunting, i found fresh sign on a seep in a meadow, set up on it that evening and saw a lone cow feed out in front of me. Saw elk again on Day 4, a herd of 20 or so Elk, working across the opposite ridge. I was set up and ready, but never had a Bull step out.

Year 2: 2023 CO - Archery. I hunted 6 1/2 days. 1st 3 days Solo, Days 4-5 with a non-hunting partner. Planned for this one for 6 months. Tons of OnX and Google Earth E-scouting. But still very difficult to compare what I'm seeing on OnX to real world based on limited time in the Wilderness.

Day 1: Hunting top of a mountain near treeline. Heard a Bugle first thing in the morning, saw glimpse of a bull. Lots of fresh sign throughout the day.
Day 2: Same area. Early morning Bugle same bull. I bugled back. Couple exchanges, they I heard him bolt. I'm 100% confident, I botched the Elk talk test.
Day 3: Down the mountain, different area. Stumbled in to a meadow that had fresh sign/bedding. I set up, and had 3 Cows come through. Took a long shot at a Cow, misjudged distance, clean miss.
Day 4: Work down a mountain from middle to drainage below with the "main road" in it. Saw a Nice Bull with small herd of cows. They saw us first, and bolted. We tracked for a 1/2 mile. Long gone. Found a well used saddle/travel corridor.
Day 5: Got in early and setup on the travel corridor. Saw nothing, heard nothing. Weather got bad. Spent time in the truck with my buddy who knows the area. That Evening we went to another area with a big valley at the top of a mountain. Scouting around found fresh sign. Saw heard of elk moving inside a treeline across the valley.
Day 6: Hunted the big mountain valley. Setup and had a bull come in, but bail about 100 yards out. Found a nice Muley dead head and Elk Wallow. Got in a calling contest with another hunter. Tracked fresh elk tracks all the way down a hillside.
Day 7: Last Day Morning Hunt. I went back up the mountain from Day 1. Worked in to a Bench in the thick stuff on Northside. Again in fresh sign. Had an elk chuckle at me after I bugled. But nothing else.

I'm on here year round. Elk Hunt, Elk Talk, Cutting the Distance Podcasts have replaced my Football Podcasts. Worked through Elk201 course. etc. I've already spent dozens of hours on Onx planning for Sept. I'm even taking my teenage boys to CO next weekend to camp/scout/hike for 3 days just so I can get back out there and see what else I can learn. I "should" have a 0PP Archery tag in South CO this year, and I drew a Big Game Combo for Montana. Will make a 10 day trip to CO in Early-Mid Sept. And a 7 day trip to Montana in November.

Self-Assessment......I've primarily based out of a friends cabin with 45-90 minute ATV rides from there to my hunting locations. I get in right at daybreak, which is too late. I've mostly hunted very thick stuff. Which with my limited to poor calling ability isn't ideal. Spent too much time chasing "Tracks". I'm impatient on "setups" bcuz I don't trust my calling ability, and I can't see shit in thick stuff. I typically do 5-6 miles in a day, so not afraid to cover ground.

Changes: More hunting time. CO trip will be solo. MT trip I'll have my old son with me. Truck/Base Camping this year in an area I can glass from camp, or can hike to an effective glassing location. (It's more basecamp, but can be broke down in less than an hour, to move and relocate if necessary.) Be on location 30 minutes before sunup. Work to find elk before dedicating a day(s) to a thick mountainside hoping to find some. Call much less. Focus on Cow/Calf calls. Focus on Finding Elk.

I'll take whatever critiques, ideas, encouragement you got. This thread or DM. I'm a guy trying to learn anything and everything I can. Best learning is in my boots on the ground. But anything I can do between trips to the mountains to get better, I'm here for.

You are definitely on the right track with both effort and past hunts. Finding sign, seeing elk, and getting calling interactions are all huge in the learning curve. I think many times (as it was for me)...interactions were so few that it just took years to get enought "at bats."

I think you are on the right track with less calling (more cow than bugles) and maybe keeping the bugle fest type calls as a last resort for that bull that is demanding it. But if a bull is popping off continually, I'm now of the mindset to just try sneaking in quiet on him. But don't give up calling completely...all my kills have either involved calling or I had the bull calling often enough to make a play on him.

Are you watching the wind often? Another top 3 tip I'd give anyone is use your wind checker powder way too much...you will never fool an elk's nose! I don't believe one ounce in scent away clothing or sprays...you just have to keep the wind right.

Dude...you are close - keep the positive mindset everyday!

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
This year will be my 2nd time hunting out of state. First time was 3 years ago. Hunted ID in the elk city zone and was one of the worst experiences of my life. Hunted solo for 6 days and only saw one cow elk. The zone is considered "low elk density" by the local bio. And dang, was he right!

This year I'll be hunting the Weiser River zone and hoping for better luck.

In regard to Oregon archery elk; I've got a lot of self-pity excuses for not being successful: Not enough time in the field, bouncing around from unit to unit and not learning one area, hunting the coast, not going in deep enough, giving up on an area too quickly, not focusing on the right things, blah blah blah....all excuses. It all boils down to me not being a good hunter. It's been 5 years since I've even killed a turkey, which is an embarrassment for how many opportunities I've blown over the years.

I do enjoy the hunt and enjoy my time out in the field, but it would be nice to take home an elk. I'm sick of everyone asking me how I did and saying I didn't get anything. Actually, hardly anyone asks anymore because they already know the answer....unsuccessful.

...But you haven't given up which is awesome. It will be that much sweeter when you share your success pics one day soon. Being out there as much as possible ups anybody's odds. Even if you never bring an elk call...learn to sneak quietly through the woods while keeping your scent away from upcoming terrain. Keep a decent pace until you find smoking hot fresh sign then slow down. Adding an out of state hunt is huge...if you can also keep a local tag. Your day is coming.

I would recommend hunting anything locally in the off season with your bow - small game, etc. Just getting good at making kill shots in crunch time will have huge benefits when you finally have your bow drawn on an elk. Also - utilize any tips you can get from locals that have hunted or even just work in the areas you plan to hunt...especially guys not chasing elk like small game hunters, bird hunters, deer hunters, fisherman, etc...every little tip can help put you in the right spot.

Good Luck!

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
I'm in. I've been on three elk hunts. 0 for 3 so far. Keep trying to do it the DIY hard way due to funds. I have mad respect for those that get it done on those general tags and welcome any help!

Give us some more details:
All 3 hunts in the same unit?
Did you have any close encounters?
Have you taken other big game with your bow?

JK47

FNG
Congrats on the archery bull! Any particular details of that hunt that you think helped lead to punching your tag?
It was a pretty epic hunt. We were in elk almost every day.

First day, me and my buddy went up this one mountain. Didn't find any fresh sign. So the next day we went one mountain over and we were covered in elk.

This should go without saying….Play the wind. Know what the thermals are doing. Dip out of an area you know elk are in if the winds ain’t right, or you risk blowing them out. Lots of e-scouting. Have different plans and angles of attack.

cnelk

WKR
When I take people they have to know how to call.

Not necessarily a championship bugle contest winner but at least know how and when to mew and put some cadence in it.
It’s their hunt too. Let them be part of it.

The second thing is to SLOW YOUR ASS DOWN.

Sure there are certain times to hurry things along but generally it’s a stealth game where we hunt.

100% agree with cnelk. I have posted this before. You need to be "Hunting" as soon as you leave camp/or your vehicle. Then you need to be "Hunting" the whole way back to camp/vehicle. I have run into bulls literally 50 yards from camp. Still adjusting my back pack and putting my release on ! Or walking 300 yards down the trail to where I want to go and so busy thinking about where I want to go, I walk into a 6x6 with three cows and I am busted. Same thing has happened going back to camp. Head down, staring at the trail , worn out telling myself left left left right left, just to get up up that last hill and I walk right into a bull at the edge of the trail. Hunt slow and methodically. Had two guys fly past us on a trail, rude as hell trying to get ahead of us. It was a small trail. We could hear them flying down the trail in front of us. About 100 yards later we rounded the trail and there were nine elk not 50 yards off the trail watching them head up the trail. One was a nice young 5x5. They never saw those elk. So many good tips in here. Just use the search function. Take the first shot that you get that you can make within your range. I lost four opportunities waiting for bulls to get closer when I had doable shots at 35 and 40 yards, but was waiting for them to get closer,(I know, yes I am a slow learner). Slow down and move slowly, It is not a race. Do not rush your shot. Maintain composure, take a deep breath, make all your check points before you shoot. The wind is KING. You can't beat their nose.

Fowl Play

WKR
Completely agree with everything said. And won't rehash those. Archery elk, first and foremost become an expert with your weapon. Shoot with broadheads early. Practice with broadheads, tune your bow with broadheads. Too many people shoot field points till just before season than swap over. You are doing yourself a disservice. Practice and become excellent at it.

Take the first shot opportunity you know you can make while still going through your checklist. Again falls back on practice. If you practice enough you do not need to wait for that "perfect" broadside shot. Those are rare and you will miss opportunities.

This next part takes practice with actual in the field, close encounters. It is a massive help to train the "buck fever" out of you. I actually thought this was crazy talk and not possible, but it is. When was the last time you saw a lion, wolf, bear etc shaking like a leaf at the critical moment when about to pounce for a kill? Their life depends on that kill... you need to tap into that animalistic side of you, that predator, when you are closing in for a kill. It is all mental. Focus 100% on the task at hand... I need to get to that tree, he should crest that hill at 40 yards, 40 yards is middle pin, red pin, red pin. I am going to draw, hit my anchor, confirm my flightpath is clear, etc. then I am going to release and kill this mfer. It is not a matter of IF, it is WHEN. WHEN I get him within 40 yards, he is dead! I have worked my ass off for this and this elk is dead. He is coming home with me. etc. You syke yourself out and you will delay the fever until after the shot. Now after the shot, let that adrenaline dump wave rush over you, then you can shake. You hear about powerlifters/athletes who have trained to think about horrible horrible things in order to intentionally trigger a fight response to perform at a higher level. This is similar... cool, calm, collected... dead elk.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Most anybody can sound "decent enough" from afar, but when you get in close to mature bulls you better sound like the real thing or they're probably already gone.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR

Not necessarily a championship bugle contest winner but at least know how and when to mew and put some cadence in it.

Sure there are certain times to hurry things along but generally it’s a stealth game where we hunt.

Stealth/Awareness is so critical...it's so easy to check out mentally for a bit and next thing you know you're just crashing through the woods not even looking up or listening.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
100% agree with cnelk. I have posted this before. You need to be "Hunting" as soon as you leave camp/or your vehicle. Then you need to be "Hunting" the whole way back to camp/vehicle. I have run into bulls literally 50 yards from camp. Still adjusting my back pack and putting my release on ! Or walking 300 yards down the trail to where I want to go and so busy thinking about where I want to go, I walk into a 6x6 with three cows and I am busted. Same thing has happened going back to camp. Head down, staring at the trail , worn out telling myself left left left right left, just to get up up that last hill and I walk right into a bull at the edge of the trail. Hunt slow and methodically. Had two guys fly past us on a trail, rude as hell trying to get ahead of us. It was a small trail. We could hear them flying down the trail in front of us. About 100 yards later we rounded the trail and there were nine elk not 50 yards off the trail watching them head up the trail. One was a nice young 5x5. They never saw those elk. So many good tips in here. Just use the search function. Take the first shot that you get that you can make within your range. I lost four opportunities waiting for bulls to get closer when I had doable shots at 35 and 40 yards, but was waiting for them to get closer,(I know, yes I am a slow learner). Slow down and move slowly, It is not a race. Do not rush your shot. Maintain composure, take a deep breath, make all your check points before you shoot. The wind is KING. You can't beat their nose.

YES - I think my first couple years (or for many guys)...it's easy to hunt as you go away from road or camp...but then when it's time to head back you just put your head down and B-line back to road...it's hard to stay "switched on" the whole time but it will up your odds drastically!

Can you post some resources to help get the basics down and maybe what calls you think people have the easiest time picking up?

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Completely agree with everything said. And won't rehash those. Archery elk, first and foremost become an expert with your weapon. Shoot with broadheads early. Practice with broadheads, tune your bow with broadheads. Too many people shoot field points till just before season than swap over. You are doing yourself a disservice. Practice and become excellent at it.

Take the first shot opportunity you know you can make while still going through your checklist. Again falls back on practice. If you practice enough you do not need to wait for that "perfect" broadside shot. Those are rare and you will miss opportunities.

This next part takes practice with actual in the field, close encounters. It is a massive help to train the "buck fever" out of you. I actually thought this was crazy talk and not possible, but it is. When was the last time you saw a lion, wolf, bear etc shaking like a leaf at the critical moment when about to pounce for a kill? Their life depends on that kill... you need to tap into that animalistic side of you, that predator, when you are closing in for a kill. It is all mental. Focus 100% on the task at hand... I need to get to that tree, he should crest that hill at 40 yards, 40 yards is middle pin, red pin, red pin. I am going to draw, hit my anchor, confirm my flightpath is clear, etc. then I am going to release and kill this mfer. It is not a matter of IF, it is WHEN. WHEN I get him within 40 yards, he is dead! I have worked my ass off for this and this elk is dead. He is coming home with me. etc. You syke yourself out and you will delay the fever until after the shot. Now after the shot, let that adrenaline dump wave rush over you, then you can shake. You hear about powerlifters/athletes who have trained to think about horrible horrible things in order to intentionally trigger a fight response to perform at a higher level. This is similar... cool, calm, collected... dead elk.

Some great tips here:
-practice with the broadheads you'll hunt with (the cold bow challenge on here is such a great idea)
-be ready to shoot...one of the first tips my buddy gave me was "you only have about 8 seconds to shoot" so you better be ready
-reps/encounters definitely help with Bull Fever...gotta learn to keep it all together...and then that rush after is so awesome! I called my wife and kids less than a minute after I shot my first bull...my wife said I was so excited while trying to whisper that it sounded like I'd just committed a major crime:)

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Most anybody can sound "decent enough" from afar, but when you get in close to mature bulls you better sound like the real thing or they're probably already gone.

You are correct - it's a whole different ball game once a bull inside 100-150yds. I often think most hunters would benefit from going silent at that time...even if you're a good caller elk are so good at pinpointing where it's coming from that without thick cover they rarely want to get much closer.

cnelk

WKR
Can you post some resources to help get the basics down and maybe what calls you think people have the easiest time picking up?

There are so many call options and everyone is different in their technique.
There is still some onus for each individual to find what they like and get proficient.

Hell, I dont use calls today I used 20 years ago.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
...it's easy to hunt as you go away from road or camp...but then when it's time to head back you just put your head down and B-line back to road...it's hard to stay "switched on" the whole time but it will up your odds drastically!
I think it was 2008 and maybe the 8th of September. It was a hot afternoon, felt like 80 degrees at 2 that afternoon as I was heading for the truck. I was only 0.3 miles from the truck and in full on stride mode. I came over a real small rise with a golden colored bottom with tall dead grass all the way to the next rise. There was one tree in the middle of it, and mid stride I saw this nice big 5x5 40 yards in front of me, bedded out in the full sun just beyond that tree with his head turned the opposite way. Before my foot could even hit the ground his head spun around, and he was up and in the timber before I could even think about nocking an arrow. He stuck around for about 30 minutes as we exchanged nervous grunts and played cat and mouse the whole time.

My one take away from that was "If I had been walking even remotely slower than I was, I could have spotted him sooner before that last step". Would have been an easy 40 yard chip shot on an unsuspecting bull.......even one step earlier. You just never know when or where they are going to appear.

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
100%

Aside from being mentally & physically prepared...my #1 tip is usually around finding areas humans don't go and looking there first for fresh elk sign. My early years I spent days 3-5 miles from the truck.

I've now taken 4 bulls with my bow in 3 different units at the following distances from my truck:
.3 miles
.2 miles
.75 miles
1.2 miles

Elk are where you find the
How long are u hunting before u kill? One of ur earlier posts u said 5-6 days did u kill those bulls in a week? I usually try for at least a week but my results show I need a little more time