Lightweight saw

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
I've also been using the Gerber but gotta say the bone saw sucks, you're better off using the wood blade. Another cheap option similar to the Gerber is the Kershaw, my friend has one and it blew the Gerber away on bone, I think it's a little smaller though.

WRM

WKR
Silky pocketboy saw with medium blade. Weighs a bit over 5 ozs. Blade flex is controlled through metal collar. The medium blade is a great all around blade and will cut through surprisingly large wood. Best folding hand saw I have used, We use them at work too (we cut down trees, so I guess that makes us arborists). One note, if you get a Silky take a second to actually read the instructions on how they work. They make a very fine kerf and you only get a cut on the pull stroke. If you try a regular push/pull you will get frustrated. It isn't hard, if you know how to use the tool. Once you know ho to use it, you will blaze through some wood.

If you want to move through a lot of wood, a "survival saw" made from a piece of chainsaw blade works too. Mine weighs just over 4 ozs.

Last edited:

jwb300

WKR
If you want a UL saw try a zip saw or wire saw. They are very easy to use and the lightest going. Pick them up cheap on ebay and they are pretty much disposable when they are worn. I've cut down decent sized tree's and split pelvic bones and skull caps with them. Very versatile.

JPD350

WKR
Silky Big Boy folding saw or their sheathed saws, wood cutting MF'ers! I'll definitely be taking one on my moose float hunt. Silky saws are what many arborists use, they cant have a saw that binds up when they are swinging through the trees.

LaGriz

WKR
Anybody have a comment on a "Knives of Alaska" saw? I looked at one yesterday at a local outdoor store and it looked pretty compact, light, with a very aggressive set of teeth on the blade. I would be using this for game, and in combination with a floorless tent and small stove. The handle on this unit is pretty straight. Maybe not be the best for cutting large amounts of wood. Looks like a quality blade about 9-10” in length, with a premium price at over $50. Would like to see a review if anyone has experience with one. Thanks in advance!
LaGriz

jmden

WKR
Dandy Saw:

http://robertsonenterprises.net/BearProofContainers/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

12" Dandy Saw has worked well for me for wood and bone for years for elk skullcaps.

If I'm just bear or deer hunting I'll use the Havalon Baracuta saw/knife. The regular blade, fillet blade and saw all interchange to make this perhaps the lightest multi-use package on the market. I don't think this saw is enough for elk skullcaps, however.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hava...25&categoryIds=104791680|104689980|104320080|

This is a good saw too:

http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/Folding-Straight_2/Pocketboy-170mm-Saw-1007#sthash.BRZOQqMK.dpbs

Want the fine teeth for bone.

WRM

WKR
That is a really premium price for the Knives of AL saws. The Silky pocketboy usually is just over $20 on Amazon and its going to do the same thing. You'll be amazed at how fast it cuts for even the small blade and it literally will fit in your pocket. The medium teeth are a good compromise as you aren't going to be using them on bone nearly as much as wood. Easy enough to get a second blade with fine teeth if you really want a "bone" blade.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
another vote for the laplander but i have not used any of the folding buck saw models, ive gone through lots of the folders and the laplander is the best by far. I need to put some fluorescent paint on it though because i loose it wherever i set it down!

rayporter

WKR
cindy said it best = get a long stroke.

i have a 21 in sven that has just had the original blade replaced after 20 years or so. i have been around the little dandy's and they rock too.
never used a dustrude but it looks great on paper.

I decided to run a new knife and saw set this year. I decided on the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite knife and the new flip and zip saw. I was so impressed with both. The knife seems to be so much more solid and robust than the Havalon and other versions I have looked at. The blades seem a lot stronger and much easier to change and deal with and the knife is still very very light.

The saw is simply awesome. I can't even believe how light that saw is.

Flip n Zip Saw-2T.jpg

WRM

WKR
That is because they have no supporting collar and are plastic in that area. Lateral stress there pops them (and pretty much every other folding saw) every time. Silky saws are metal in that area but still very light (at least pocketboy--I don't have the bigboy). I have never managed to break one even though we use them for work.