Long Draw Recurve

Hello all,

I'm looking to try hunting with a recurve next season. I have a 31" DL. I thought about a Hoyt Buffalo, but they only go to 62". Is this long enough for a 31" draw or should I look elsewhere?

It won't break at your draw length but there are some better options. The buffalo is a 19" riser with medium limbs. A 17" riser and long limbs would be smoother for you. Or even better would be a 19" riser and long limbs. I believe you can order a buffalo with long quatro limbs. That would be a sweet combo for sure.

There are a ton of options for long draw lengths. It just depends on what you are looking for in a bow. My current favorite is my 64" stalker wolverine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I have the same draw length as you and have come to the conclusion that bow design has almost as much to do with it as overall bow length! I've tried shooting the Buffalo and felt like it was stacking on me at 31". You can get their Tiburon I think it's called and have it set up at 64", but it's shelf is cut past center and requires the strike plate to be built out to shoot off the shelf. So far I haven't found a 64" bow that I couldn't shoot, so my advice is look for that length setup unless you can shoot the bow first to see if it will work for you! I'm currently shooting a 66" Toelke Whip and it's quickly become my favorite! Getting ready to order one of their 66" takedown Lynx with Longbow limbs. I'm in my early fifties and had gotten to the point i couldn't ball up the first on my draw hand, after getting the 66" Whip for the last half of this year, I can ball up my first like normal again, even when I first wake up in the morning, so think about that if you have hand issues. Feel free to PM any particular questions, living right by an actual trad shop like I do, I've had the opportunity to shoot way more bow models than most people get too. Living back east where you do, there are some big shoots you can go too and shoot some bows. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
It won't break at your draw length but there are some better options. The buffalo is a 19" riser with medium limbs. A 17" riser and long limbs would be smoother for you. Or even better would be a 19" riser and long limbs. I believe you can order a buffalo with long quatro limbs. That would be a sweet combo for sure.
There are a ton of options for long draw lengths.
^^ good advice.

I shoot a 17" ILF riser with long limbs at 30" draw and though a guy can shoot it at 31"....the 19" [or longer riser] with long limbs [19" riser, longs =a 64" recurve] will be a dream shooter for you. In general, longer is smoother though there are many bow designs that refute that old saying.

You don't need to start with expensive limbs. I have $80 limbs and $600 limbs [the beauty of ILF system- so many choices] and it would be hard for a new guy to feel a big difference. Both shoot extremely well.

I draw about 31 and shoot a 66" longbow. Stack and string angle are going to be a problem in a 62" bow at your draw. My bow was tillered for my draw so it doesn't have a stacking issue, most bows are tillered for 28 and will pick up 2-3 pounds per inch for every inch of draw over that depending on the design. I am looking at a Titan III 19" with long limbs to make a 64" recurve but I wouldn't go any shorter than that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ok, so what options are out there for a 32 1/2" LH draw? I've always wondered if every traditional bow could be shot at any draw length........I guess not.

oldgoat

WKR
Ok, so what options are out there for a 32 1/2" LH draw? I've always wondered if every traditional bow could be shot at any draw length........I guess not.

Pretty sure you could draw a 66" longbow, I was drawing 32" for a while, but was just too extended to be consistent and that was with a 64" longbow. If you were correct handed I'd let you try mine. I could actually put together a 66" recurve with ILF stuff I have if you go to shoots up in Denver way hit me up if you want. PM me or friend me on Facebook @ David Achatz

Muttly

WKR
Some of the bowyers offer a test drive program. If you get to one of the big shoots, probably be the easiest way to try a bunch. Barring that, look at 64 and 66" recurves that you are interested in. Call up the guys making them and ask questions. Most of the guys I,'ve dealt with will give you a straight answer, yea or nay for your draw length. I,'ve got a 31" draw, big paws. I,'ve got 66" recurve in the works, should be done in February..
Run 68" long bows. Lot to be said for eliminating most of the finger pinch and stacking that comes with a bow designed for a shorter draw.

Last edited:
OP
B
Does anyone have any experience with the bear super Kodiak in a 64" length? Or would an ILF setup be a better choice?

oldgoat

WKR
Does anyone have any experience with the bear super Kodiak in a 64" length? Or would an ILF setup be a better choice?

My thoughts on this question is, it's pretty much like compounds or rifles or cars or whatever, lot of personal preference there. ILF offers some tuning advantages and versatility.. Get out and figure out a way to shoot some and go from there, just remember at your draw length, the weight your actually pulling is 6-9# more than what the bow is marked at 28", so don't overbow yourself!

marcb

FNG

I have a 62" Buffalo and and I have a 32 1/4" draw. Its not ideal and I'm going to experiment with long limbs this winter but it killed an elk and a whitetail.

The harder part is finding arrows that accommodate that length safely.

oldgoat

WKR
I have a 62" Buffalo and and I have a 32 1/4" draw. Its not ideal and I'm going to experiment with long limbs this winter but it killed an elk and a whitetail.

The harder part is finding arrows that accommodate that length safely.
I believe Black Eagle has arrows to 34", I know Arrow Dynamics does and was told by a pro shop guy that you can order longer arrows direct from Gold Tip if you ask for them

I know a guy who had a custom longbow made for his 32" draw. In my opinion this is the way to go, a bow whether longbow or recurve that is designed for your draw will be your best option, he has a 32" draw and while it is difficult to find arrows it's not impossible. Aluminum's are a great option, a full length 2020 is a very tough arrow, that wall thickness makes them pretty hardy and should get you through the 50's in draw weight and deliver quite a "Thwack".

ILF is a good option because you can shoot different weight limbs off the same platform, limbs can be bought and re-sold without much depreciation, if you buy them used in the first place you probably won't loose any money. Start out with a lightweight set of limbs if you are new to Trad and learn how to shoot then worry about weight for hunting.

marcb

FNG
I believe Black Eagle has arrows to 34", I know Arrow Dynamics does and was told by a pro shop guy that you can order longer arrows direct from Gold Tip if you ask for them

The black eagle vintage were the only ones long enough to work on the Buffallo that I could find. Never heard of Arrow Dynamics. I just looked them up and everything advertised is 32". Ended up with full length 350's and front loaded the tip weight to spine in properly. Really touchy arrow to tune in terms of nock height.

Personally the black eagle vintage are too wide of a shaft for my taste. Would be nicer if I could get something like the Easton Axis in a long shaft.

I was told by a dealer you could custom order Easton arrows, but when I actually had them try it didn't work out.

LostArra

WKR
There are some big ol' boys on this forum.:)

I've seen lots of folks shooting full length arrows for gap purposes but not many who actually needed them for draw length.

marcb

FNG
There are some big ol' boys on this forum.:)

I've seen lots of folks shooting full length arrows for gap purposes but not many who actually needed them for draw length.

With full length Easton axis 400 spine arrows the field tip point wasn't visible from the back side of the riser at full draw.

oldgoat

WKR
The black eagle vintage were the only ones long enough to work on the Buffallo that I could find. Never heard of Arrow Dynamics. I just looked them up and everything advertised is 32". Ended up with full length 350's and front loaded the tip weight to spine in properly. Really touchy arrow to tune in terms of nock height.

Personally the black eagle vintage are too wide of a shaft for my taste. Would be nicer if I could get something like the Easton Axis in a long shaft.

I was told by a dealer you could custom order Easton arrows, but when I actually had them try it didn't work out.

I have some GT kinetics that make a 33" arrow with their outsert/insert, that's how they used sell them, current offerings only make kinetics only make a 31" arrow. If all else fails, give gold tip a call, they might work with you.

j-bow

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with justinspicher the guys at Rocky mountain specialty gear are unbelievable, and certainly steer you in the right direction!!