Looking for handgun recommendations

Browtine

WKR
You're welcome to disagree.

It's all about fundamentals, and perfect practice. Most defensive shooting situations are going to be very close range and in low light. None of the three fundamentals that I listed are complex physical skills, in fact they are quite simple. It's the perfect practice repetitions that are going to dictate how well you perform under stress.

It's been my observation that someone who is taught how to do something correctly the first time, and then practices those techniques will have a relatively easy time compared to someone that just shoots to shoot, reinforcing bad habits the whole time they are doing it.

In reality, I personally think that for self defense carry one doesn't need a whole lot of time on the range to meet proficiency levels of where they should be. Where most folks need training (cops included) is relative to WHEN they should be utilizing lethal force.

Good post Jason. You didn't mention anything about the reps needed to be proficient in your first post which puzzled me coming from a trainer.

In my experience, there is nothing easy about getting perfect practice reps. It takes commitment, time, accessibility to a range that allows that type of practice (drawing, movement, multiple targets etc..) and once the skills are obtained, they must be maintained.

I also understand that "exceptable proficiency" can only be defined by the person carrying the gun.

Good discussion. Back to which pistol! ;)

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from my local gun shop taking a look at different guns for a female friend of mine (just to give her some ideas). She has super petite hands and like Snyder said earlier, the size of the grip to have a proficient trigger pull is what became clear to me as she held my Sig 229, she could barely even reach the trigger with her finger. But hell if your wife is 6'2" this might not be a problem :)

Take a look at the SIG P 320 in a 9mm. This is a really nice pistol that allows the user to easily switch out between multiple sized grips and frame lengths. This could allow you both to utilize the same pistol... It has a very nice DA trigger.

Forgetting price fellas. At $300 every option mentioned is out, even used. A used Taurus revolver might be the ticket. Surprisingly Bersa makes a nice Lil .380acp. Both would be around that price range, rather dependable and fit virtually every woman's hand.

2ski

WKR
.380 Hipoint. It's under $150. A pain in the you know what to clean but for the price, use it for 5 years and buy a new one. I really like my brother's Hipoint compact 9. Not as much as my Sig P228 but for the price.....especially if you're buying for the reasons you are.

OP
timberland
I'm glad this came back around to price. Like I said, she wants a confidence booster when she's by herself on hikes. I suspect that after she carries it around for a year or so it will stay on the shelf. I'm not saying her fears are unfounded, but the reality is she is more afraid of wolves, and lions, and bears (oh, my) than people.

Timberland, my personal recommendation would be to avoid semi's at your price point. If you keep an eye out you can pick up a Taurus revolver almost new for that, with a slightly better resale.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
In that price point I would look at the charter arms revolvers. Taurus and Rossi revolvers are another option but may be a little more money. Charter makes good stuff for the price but often gets overlooked. I've had good luck with the Bulldog 44 and wouldn't think twice about getting my wife one of their 357s.