Magview Digiscoping

everyone else get the Rokslide email about the Magview?

I’d checked it out a few weeks back and though the idea was awesome. Doubling as a lease cover than folds out as a magnet. I already have the magnet on the back on my phone for my mount in the truck so this would kill another bird with the same stone.

Then I saw the price. $170. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a sweet idea and I’m sure plenty of people will pay that. And if people are willing to pay it, charge it. But in a world where so many things get so expensive, this seemed like a simple but genius idea that could be offered at a price for everyone. No more need for a separate phone case for the Phonescope. Lens’s cover included. Adjustability. In a world where decent spotters that many people will own can be found for under $500, paying $170 for this piece just seems harder to justify.

Fitzwho

WKR
I will third the OP's sentiment. Saw an ad for it a few days ago and even my wife thought it looked cool. And it does look very well designed and USA built is a plus. Way less bulk than my current Phoneskope universal setup.

Then looked up the price...

I would obviously want both the spotter and bino adapter, so I'd be $285 into this setup. That's way out of price point comparatively to any other digiscoping setup. And on par with the Tactacam LR Spotter ($300) which is a standalone 4K camera.

I'll probably still end up with one...

I bought both the S1 and B1 from magview gear. I would cautious of the B1 if you use glasses. It forces you to use the eyecups turned out and my glasses frames stick to the magnets. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
That spotting scope version shouldn’t be terribly hard to figure out a DIY version if you have a 3D printer.

Lbayers91

WKR
Classified Approved
I have almost ordered one a couple of times and just can't quite pull the trigger. I'm looking to cut the bulk from Phoneskope and am between Magview and Novagrade doublegripper. Both are similarly priced a seem like better options than the Phoneskope. I definitely want to support American made and don't mind paying more to do so. The issue I am having is that I want an eyepiece for both a spotter and binos without having to buy two phone magnets. I reached out to Customer Support and they won't let me do so. I'd be fine paying $225ish to be able to run the setup on two optics, but having to buy an additional phone magnet every time you want to use your adapter seems outrageous.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The issue I am having is that I want an eyepiece for both a spotter and binos without having to buy two phone magnets. I reached out to Customer Support and they won't let me do so. I'd be fine paying $225ish to be able to run the setup on two optics, but having to buy an additional phone magnet every time you want to use your adapter seems outrageous.

The magnet is in the eye piece cover not on the phone attachment. The eye pieces are different sizes to better fit there application as a spotting scope eyepiece is a fair bit larger than a common binocular ocular.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Lbayers91

WKR
Classified Approved
The magnet is in the eye piece cover not on the phone attachment. The eye pieces are different sizes to better fit there application as a spotting scope eyepiece is a fair bit larger than a common binocular ocular.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
That’s fair, I was not aware of that. Seems like a missed opportunity though. Spartan Bipods won a lot of customers over despite the high initial cost due to having the ability to simply purchase adapters and run the bipod on all rifles.

Lbayers91

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t disagree. The phoneskope case makes the phone not fit the pocket of my pants where I like to carry it, so open to other options.

Matt H

FNG
I had initial sticker shock too, but I pulled the trigger on the S1. I'm really enjoying it thus far. The price makes more sense when you think long term. If I switch spotters, the MagView will transfer over. Same thing if I switch phones, which almost every guy is doing every 2-4 years. Purchasing two phoneskopes is just as pricey, and now I don't have to switch phone cases all the time.

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried to attach the B.1 to a 12x50 Vortex Razer HD, my fit was not what I expected. They send a fancy glorified cardboard piece with adhesive on it but with that installed I couldn't get it attached, without the cardboard piece it will come off with minimal pressure. I'm working on a solution.

carbon

FNG
So, for me, the relatively low price (~$200) isn’t really a constraint once I factor in:
  1. gas to get to the prairie dog fields
  2. tons of ammo
  3. pricy optics and rangefinders
  4. 4-5 rifles
  5. etc
  6. my one good long vacation a year doing something I really enjoy, and honoring memories with my son/my friends by preserving in memorandum our many various prairie dog explosions and cackling lol BLAMMO

I wrote up a review here of my thoughts of current offerings in the digiscope phone space. You might have different criteria but…gotta start somewhere.