Mathews monster safari

I’m interested in a bow with 80lbs or better limbs that is still somewhat bearable to shoot. From everything I’ve seen the Mathews monster safari is the one. Anyone know where I could get my hands on one? I’ve got a 27.5” draw length and am looking for a little extra speed.

dtrkyman

WKR
New at a Mathews dealer, good luck finding one in stock though.

Bowtech, PSE and Hoyt all have 80lb options. All the other Mathews get you to 75lbs for about 900$ cheaper than a safari!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
That’s what I was thinking, I’ve got a bad problem at deciding and really wish I didn’t have to in the first place. I’ve used a bowtech realm the past 4 years and absolutely loved it. If it wasn’t for my buddy dry firing it i wouldn’t be in this position. Thanks for the reply!

I’m generally curious, why does Mathew’s still make the safari?

I assume because it has demand. Likely relatively easy to produce, they get a premium for it.

The Conquest remained in production for about 20 years, I think it was discontinued this year tho. Maybe they finally ran out of risers.

No direct experience with a Safari, so no help there.

JStol5

WKR
I shoot a bow tech SS34 at 73 pounds, and I find it easier to draw than a Mathews V3 at 69 pounds. It is very dependent on the shooter, but you should try an SX80.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve messed with two bows and 75lbs mods and this is entirely different in my case. Bow tunes perfect and I could only get around 74lbs
Interesting.

My experience is that Mathews pull 2-3.5 lb over on the 70lb mods for every model since and including the Triax.

I have a Vertix that I ordered new with 75lb and 80% when they came out in 2018. It arrived with 75lb and 85%. It pulled 79.6lb out of the box with the 85% mods in. I put 70lb 80% mods in it (which pulls 73.2lb) while I waited for the originals to arrive and have not bothered switching them since.

My Traverse (70lb 75%) pulls 72.8lb and V3 (70lb 80%) pulls 73lb. I had two Triax’s back in their day that pulled 73.2lb & 73lb each also. Before that I was shooting an X-Force for over a decade and only had 1 buddy with a Mathews (No Cam).

This has also been evident on my brother’s Triax, V3 and phase 4 and well over a dozen other Mathews that I’ve set up for buddies. What they ended up being set at varied depending on the shooter and their set up, but they were all pretty consistent out of the box.

I ended up buying a second bow scale etc so I have a workshop at both houses to save me flying gear back and forth many times a year and I got the expected variations between the new and old scale, but not several lb differences.

Only my experience, but I guess both my Last Chance scales could be reading out?

OP
B
I shoot a bow tech SS34 at 73 pounds, and I find it easier to draw than a Mathews V3 at 69 pounds. It is very dependent on the shooter, but you should try an SX80.
I honestly had been thinking about the ss34 or sr350 since I loved my realm so much. I looked at the sx80 but it’s only shooting 330 ibo at 80 lbs while my realm was 345 ibo at 70lb.

Interesting.

My experience is that Mathews pull 2-3.5 lb over on the 70lb mods for every model since and including the Triax.

I have a Vertix that I ordered new with 75lb and 80% when they came out in 2018. It arrived with 75lb and 85%. It pulled 79.6lb out of the box with the 85% mods in. I put 70lb 80% mods in it (which pulls 73.2lb) while I waited for the originals to arrive and have not bothered switching them since.

My Traverse (70lb 75%) pulls 72.8lb and V3 (70lb 80%) pulls 73lb. I had two Triax’s back in their day that pulled 73.2lb & 73lb each also. Before that I was shooting an X-Force for over a decade and only had 1 buddy with a Mathews (No Cam).

This has also been evident on my brother’s Triax, V3 and phase 4 and well over a dozen other Mathews that I’ve set up for buddies. What they ended up being set at varied depending on the shooter and their set up, but they were all pretty consistent out of the box.

I ended up buying a second bow scale etc so I have a workshop at both houses to save me flying gear back and forth many times a year and I got the expected variations between the new and old scale, but not several lb differences.

Only my experience, but I guess both my Last Chance scales could be reading out?

Did you measure actual DL on any of those bows?

I use one scale because they vary so much, spring scale that is just easier to check for me. I can make a handheld LCA scale vary a fair amount just by how I draw the bow back.

Duh

WKR
I got the Hoyt VTM 34 with 80lb limbs and 80% let off. To me, this bow feels like I’m pulling 70lbs and it’s smooth!

I came from a Mathews vertix with 75lb mods and 85% let off. The Hoyt definitely feels better to me and that’s why I switched brands this year. I’ll add, I’m not loyal to any specific bow company.

OP
B
I got the Hoyt VTM 34 with 80lb limbs and 80% let off. To me, this bow feels like I’m pulling 70lbs and it’s smooth!

I came from a Mathews vertix with 75lb mods and 85% let off. The Hoyt definitely feels better to me and that’s why I switched brands this year. I’ll add, I’m not loyal to any specific bow company.

JStol5

WKR
I honestly had been thinking about the ss34 or sr350 since I loved my realm so much. I looked at the sx80 but it’s only shooting 330 ibo at 80 lbs while my realm was 345 ibo at 70lb.
You should go test drive one. I lost a little speed compared to my Mathews but I’m way more accurate and comfortable shooting the Bowtech, with significantly less letoff (I monkeyed with the cams so I get about 78% letoff at 73lbs, versus 85% letoff at 75 on my Mathews).

Once again, your mileage may vary, but you should give it a shot. My only regret is that I didn’t get an SX80.

OP
B
You should go test drive one. I lost a little speed compared to my Mathews but I’m way more accurate and comfortable shooting the Bowtech, with significantly less letoff (I monkeyed with the cams so I get about 78% letoff at 73lbs, versus 85% letoff at 75 on my Mathews).

Once again, your mileage may vary, but you should give it a shot. My only regret is that I didn’t get an SX80.
I’m definitely gonna try the sx80 I love speed but a comfortable draw wins every day

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Did you measure actual DL on any of those bows?

I use one scale because they vary so much, spring scale that is just easier to check for me. I can make a handheld LCA scale vary a fair amount just by how I draw the bow back.
Yes. I have a draw board on one of my presses with a scale. Mathews drawlength seems to be long out of the box also.

Agree that the handheld scale can vary wildly depending on if you draw slow or rip it back.

Yes. I have a draw board on one of my presses with a scale. Mathews drawlength seems to be long out of the box also.

Agree that the handheld scale can vary wildly depending on if you draw slow or rip it back.

Right, out of the box they are long, which also increases poundage. I have seen generally 3/8" but as much as 5/8"
I don't doubt that it's on purpose. Too many people just pull a bow out of the box and shoot it/chrono and decide on one.

Once you shorten the draw up a little the poundage drops too.

Reactions: Zac