Meat Care

BsDada

FNG
Drawn for late season elk in AZ. Is there a good resource for learning about meat care and preventing cold shortening…things like that?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Are you concerned with being too cold?

Keeping the meat on the bone can keep it from shortening. Putting it in the ice chest will keep it from freezing. If it does freeze just let it slowly defrost when you get home…slowly.

A good 10-14 day ice bath when you get home will transform it into some good table fare.

I like killing stuff when it’s cold. Makes it easy. Never worried about it being too cold.

MTtrout

WKR
@Ucsdryder, tell me more about this 10 to 14 day ice bath. I’ve never heard of that. What is it?

OP I’d focus on how to get the meat cooled. It takes a lot to get the internal temps down. More than you would imagine. I’ve never been concerned about meat freezing and if I did I’d put them in cooler after assessing the situation. I don’t know AZ winters but this would be that last thing on my mind.

Ucsdryder

WKR
@Ucsdryder, tell me more about this 10 to 14 day ice bath. I’ve never heard of that. What is it?

OP I’d focus on how to get the meat cooled. It takes a lot to get the internal temps down. More than you would imagine. I’ve never been concerned about meat freezing and if I did I’d put them in cooler after assessing the situation. I don’t know AZ winters but this would be that last thing on my mind.

I’m sold on it.

Stalker69

WKR
Don't soak it In water, unless your trying to make meat " tofu". There are good resources in book and online, sources. Keep the meat DRY, cold and clean. AreThe most important aspects.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Here’s some antelope and deer backstrap tofu we’re going to choke down tonight for dinner. The horror, how could anybody eat that! 😜

Both of these were in ice for 2 weeks. I’ll drain at least 1x a day, preferably 2x.IMG_1438.jpeg

GSPHUNTER

WKR

I’m sold on it.
Me also.

KsRancher

WKR
Here’s some antelope and deer backstrap tofu we’re going to choke down tonight for dinner. The horror, how could anybody eat that! 😜

Both of these were in ice for 2 weeks. I’ll drain at least 1x a day, preferably 2x.View attachment 689580
This right here! Been doing it for several years now. It's hard to beat. And can't knock it until you try it.

Weldor

WKR

Usually warm, but every once in awhile we get cold early.

We been using the ice bath method in Florida since we had ice. We dont generally have the luxury of hanging game here, especially South Florida. Game is shot , skinned, cut up and placed in a cooler with ice. Opinions very as to how long before you process it. Also some like to let meat soak in the ice water while others will leave the drain open. Heck if I can tell the difference with deer but with wild hogs I found soaking the meat in ice water for at least a few days worked out better.