Meateater Booze???

While I have never seen a Meat eater episode or listened to his podcast and wish him nothing but success I do believe the goal of most businesses is to make money and turn a profit for the shareholders,period.
IMO People that think all these hunting personalities whether on tv,youtube or podcasts do it to better the sport as their primary goal are not living in reality,remove the ability to profit from their target market(us hunters) and a majority of these people would disappear.
Especially true when the business has been purchased by an investment group looking to maximize their ROI

The tall poppy syndrome is strong in this thread.

Meh, not really. Two things can be true at the same time: Meateater can be the best hunting show out there AND the people who watch/support can question their motives when it seems to be turning commercial, especially when it’s perceived as disingenuous.

Meh, not really. Two things can be true at the same time: Meateater can be the best hunting show out there AND the people who watch/support can question their motives when it seems to be turning commercial, especially when it’s perceived as disingenuous.
meh, yes really. Any time rinella gets brought up people find something to complain about. I'd rather have his message spread to the non hunting public than just about any other hunting "celebrity". Its not turning commercial, it is a commercial enterprise. There are lots of strong right wingers on here that were pissed when he shows any tendency to be liberal. Those same people are questioning his motives when the company takes opportunity to make money in a capitalistic society.

meh, yes really. Any time rinella gets brought up people find something to complain about. I'd rather have his message spread to the non hunting public than just about any other hunting "celebrity". Its not turning commercial, it is a commercial enterprise. There are lots of strong right wingers on here that were pissed when he shows any tendency to be liberal. Those same people are questioning his motives when the company takes opportunity to make money in a capitalistic society.
well said

Rinella is one of the few independent minds who isn't afraid to use it and to speak it.

He's also one of only two that I know who consistently hunt. You know, like we do. Without a guide and without having exclusive access to private ranches. I realize many of his hunts are not on public land, but we all know he can handle himself just fine on public and I appreciate that because of how rare it is today.

Again, two things can be true at the same time. Rinella can be everything you think he is, and also some of what the other people do not like. The two are not mutually exclusive and each side has a right (and probably a legitimate argument) to see things through their own lens.

What is the purpose of marketing alcohol under the MeatEater umbrella? I honestly don't see how it relates to MeatEater's primary message of hunting-fishing-conservation-education.

I acknowledge that selling some special booze is another form of revenue for Rinella, but if there is such a desire to have some special booze and make money from it, then why not have an independently operating business?

Last edited:
Let's say someone approaches you with a business deal. They want to pay you to endorse their product because they like what you stand for and/or think your name will help it sell. You try their product and it isn't bad.

What do YOU do?

Let's say someone approaches you with a business deal. They want to pay you to endorse their product because they like what you stand for and/or think your name will help it sell. You try their product and it isn't bad.

What do YOU do?

If it aligns with the mission of my business or organization, then it makes sense. If it doesn't align with the mission of my business or the message I am trying to convey, even if it is profitable, then no deal. Selling used cars can be profitable, should we assume there will be a MeatEater's Used Car Lot coming soon?

If it aligns with the mission of my business or organization, then it makes sense. If it doesn't align with the mission of my business or the message I am trying to convey, even if it is profitable, then no deal. Selling used cars can be profitable, should we assume there will be a MeatEater's Used Car Lot coming soon?
wow the hate.

I have been thinking about trying some OF for awhile now. Never had Michters. I never heard of Old Elk until two days ago when I saw it by accident. I am working on a bottle of Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond 6 year old right now that I got in Kentucky. Its ok for an everyday whiskey. Probably won't buy more. I do try younger whiskey's that people recommend or if I find a store selection. I just tend not to like them as much as the older stuff.

I will pick up a bottle of Old Forester when I finish the HH. I am always open to picking up a new bottle of something. I have a large amount of Elijah Craig 12 year old, Henry McKenna and some store select Evan Williams that are my favorites bourbons. All were under $30 when I bought them. I have more expensive bottles but I could live out my days with just these three. For some reason, I really like Heaven Hill distillery products.

Big red 12’s? 😍😍😍. You and I have much the same taste...heaven hill can do no wrong in my book

His business is communicating to hunters about hunting, conservation, and educating the public about such things...

Some hunters (his target group) enjoy whiskey, some hunters enjoy a drink around the fire at camp or after a kill. Some hunters or other people not opposed to hunting may prefer to buy a whiskey sold by a guy/company that supports hunting and the outdoors instead of one that maybe supports HSUS.

I'd say he is on brand and hitting his target market! As for used cars, that is probably a bit to broad, but bumper stickers, window clings, etc. Damn right

What is the purpose of marketing alcohol under the MeatEater umbrella? I honestly don't see how it relates to MeatEater's primary message of hunting-fishing-conservation-education.

I acknowledge that selling some special booze is another form of revenue for Rinella, but if there is such a desire to have some special booze and make money from it, then why not have an independently operating business?

You have to add culinary to your list too, cookbooks, etc.

wow the hate.

I have no hard feelings, or "hate" in your words, for MeatEater or Rinella. I just don't understand why including whiskey/alcohol under their brand supports their main message or purpose.

Perhaps my perception of doing business is of the minority. Let it be known to the interwebs that I am not a business owner. I just don't feel that all sources of positive revenue for a business are always the right ones - end of story, even if some of the business's customers/fan base will buy it.

I do not care what any acid dropper does....:D

$ is the prime motivator for far too many people in todays society.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but honest question: what has he done for hunters, the hunting community, and then image of hunting? He has certainly profited from hunting and hunters, spent a lot of time talking to hunters about hunting, and sold a lot of swag and books to hunters, but none of that really adds value outside of our small circle.

As I see it the continued commercialization of hunting is going to be its downfall and by that measure he has done plenty of bad for the sport. I don’t like it and have stopped watching, listening, and buying their shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it wasn’t for Steve I would never have gotten into hunting. I wouldn’t have freezer full of venison. I wouldn’t have been able to give my friends and family venison and I wouldn’t have been able to intelligently discuss the value of hunting and public lands, converting a number of non-hunters. I wouldn’t be buying products that support the hunting industry and the department of fish and wildlife. I wouldn’t be donating my money to organizations that fight for our public lands even though I have only hunted in Texas.

I am far from the only one who got into hunting because of Steve. I have learned more about hunting, wildlife, conservation, etc from Steve and the MeatEater crew than from anywhere else and I can absolutely say his efforts have changed my life for the better. They might not be perfect but I don’t expect people to be perfect and I really couldn’t care less about the fact that they are selling booze now because I don’t drink and I don’t care about people making money through their hard work.

Back