Merino Base Layers

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody else tired of the fact that most all companies light merino layers are virtually a disposable item? What is your go to for the cheapest light merino top?

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I just wait for smartwool or icebreaker to go on sale since I wear them for casual too. This year I wore a MTN ops Merino that held up well and that goes on sale a few times a year. No need to pay full price on this stuff.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are you wearing them as an outer layer? I still have one long sleeve shirt that is the original Cabela's branded merino from 2007 I believe. I still wear it at least a few days every archery elk season. The collar is all frayed out but the rest of it is fine. I also have a few Icebreaker SS and LS shirts that are still good after several years. I always wear at least one other layer over them so they're never exposed. But bottoms always seem to get shredded after a few years even under my hunting pants.

OP
BuckRut

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
Are you wearing them as an outer layer? I still have one long sleeve shirt that is the original Cabela's branded merino from 2007 I believe. I still wear it at least a few days every archery elk season. The collar is all frayed out but the rest of it is fine. I also have a few Icebreaker SS and LS shirts that are still good after several years. I always wear at least one other layer over them so they're never exposed. But bottoms always seem to get shredded after a few years even under my hunting pants.
Wear as an outer layer probably 30% of the time. Most of the time I destroy them under the arms. I am assuming probably a result of movement and wear from adding layers or putting backpack on. I would bet most of that wear probably occurs once the thing is hanging on me like it's 3 sizes to big after it droops from a being worn a few days in a row.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Smart wool for bottoms hold up quite well. Wash cold water and hang to dry.

I’ve actually had good luck with the first lite wick hoody. It’s probably my favorite of the lightweight hoody base layers for weight, fit, and hood design. Just don’t wear it near cactus or other brush!

OP
BuckRut

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
Smart wool for bottoms hold up quite well. Wash cold water and hang to dry.

I’ve actually had good luck with the first lite wick hoody. It’s probably my favorite of the lightweight hoody base layers for weight, fit, and hood design. Just don’t wear it near cactus or other brush!
Maybe I have bad luck because my wick crew top has had holes in it since the first week long trip after I bought it.

Bump79

WKR
I won't ever buy cheap merino again. Learned my lesson with the Black Ovis JUNK. Even at the low price it isn't worth it.
I've had a different experience worn Black Ovis merino hard for several years. No tangible issues even with the 150 weight. The old version that is 50/50 poly merino does pill a little.

I have had Core4Element 150ish gsm merino hoodies for 10 years, one is probably on it's last leg and the other is shredded. Smartwool holds up OK. The thing with merino is that it's just not going to hold up on the elbows well if your crawling much. I use a synthetic if I know I'm going to be doing that say on a antelope or mule deer hunt.

My experience with expensive merino generally is that it's more expensive. That's about the extent of it.

I was and continue to be shockingly pleased with my very inexpensive merino from Midway USA (their brand). So much so that I then bought a cheap jacket and a coat from them, which are also very nice for the money, and plan to buy more merino this year.

I think the Core4Element is junk. To me it's the same as Black Ovis. Won't buy another piece of either.

Did just buy some Stone Glacier. If I were smart I'd have bought another Kuiu piece, but I ran out of time before my hunt and could have the SG retail at Scheels. We'll see.

I'd be curious to know which pieces of which vintage the OP has tried?

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR
I agree the Core4Element is junk. To me it's the same as Black Ovis. Won't buy another piece of either.

Did just buy some Stone Glacier. If I were smart I'd have bought another Kuiu piece, but I ran out of time before my hunt and could have the SG retail at Scheels. We'll see.

That's the opposite of what I said. I've had good luck with both.

Mcnasty

FNG
I have had very good luck with Icebreaker merino t-shirts. Have had 2 for probably 10 years. It is my base in most any conditions. Typically go synthetic layers past that. They are pretty warn out at this but with small holes and runs still kicking and just fine for haunting purposes. Wear for me is in the front where belt, pack waist belt etc. and some in the shoulders strap areas of high friction. You can find them on clearance directly or on multiple sites a few times a year as well. I try to treat all my wool well and wash by hand and hang dry mostly. This makes a huge difference I think... at least for my crew of friends that don't follow the care process. no this is not scientific process but I have the same pair for first lite wool pants and several friends. I wear the more, wash them more and mine have lasted twice as long as theirs. Just a thought it may be how you are washing them that is causing them to die early.

That's the opposite of what I said. I've had good luck with both.

Ah, I corrected my post.

Both my Core4Element and BlackOvis got shredded pretty quickly. The Kuiu is still going strong after 9 years!....including 3 bucking oak brush.

OP
BuckRut

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
Personal experience with older Core4Element and newer First Lite items but I have some buddies that have had Sitka and Kuiu pieces and didn't give them raving reviews. The washing and handling care mentioned is one factor I didn't really take into account until now and that could well be some of the issue in all of these pieces.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Icebreaker all the way. Holds up better than any of the other brands I’ve tried and seems to be the standard in QC.