Milled Tikka action

Sadler

WKR
Just ran across this image and was hoping someone on here knows of a gunsmith that would be willing to mill off the top of a tikka action like the one in the picture.

F7C6FEF1-703E-4501-A044-AC76A1EFCA40.jpeg

Last edited:

Elnicko

WKR
If you’re referring to the fluted bolt, Long Rifles Inc will do it for around $40.

bsnedeker

WKR
Curious, why would you want to do this? My mind immediately goes to how much easier it would be for debris to get into your chamber. Especially with a fluted bolt like that. It would make it easier to clean I guess, and it does look cool, just doesn't seem practical for a hunting rifle.

Curious, why would you want to do this? My mind immediately goes to how much easier it would be for debris to get into your chamber. Especially with a fluted bolt like that. It would make it easier to clean I guess, and it does look cool, just doesn't seem practical for a hunting rifle.
???? Practically all Remington 700 clone actions - and 700's have ports like that and have worked just fine for a long time in hunting conditions. In looking at the picture it pretty much looks like they turned a Tikka into a Remington clone ;) Kinda like it, but also like the Tikka as is since they do shoot just fine.

bsnedeker

WKR
???? Practically all Remington 700 clone actions - and 700's have ports like that and have worked just fine for a long time in hunting conditions. In looking at the picture it pretty much looks like they turned a Tikka into a Remington clone ;) Kinda like it, but also like the Tikka as is since they do shoot just fine.
Lol...showing my ignorance I guess! It's not something I ever looked at when shopping for guns and I ended up with 2 tikkas for hunting so that's my entire frame of reference.

B23

WKR
I wonder how much weight that would shave off?
I don't know about a Tikka but I talked to Karl Kampfeld about slabbing the sides and really messaging over a Rem 700 once. When we got to the part about actual weight savings Karl was very honest with me and said he'd be happy to do the work and if I was looking for anything more than a purely aesthetics value I'd be wasting my money because the actual weight savings was very minimal. I still may do it to one of my 700's some day because I do think it looks pretty cool but that would be the only reason I'd do it to one of them.

I don't know about a Tikka but I talked to Karl Kampfeld about slabbing the sides and really messaging over a Rem 700 once. When we got to the part about actual weight savings Karl was very honest with me and said he'd be happy to do the work and if I was looking for anything more than a purely aesthetics value I'd be wasting my money because the actual weight savings was very minimal. I still may do it to one of my 700's some day because I do think it looks pretty cool but that would be the only reason I'd do it to one of them.
I had Karl do this action for me a number of years ago. It didn't save much weight but looked cool ;) I don't have a picture of the other side of the action but he shaved off same there and also under the back scope ring. I think he used to call it his Mauser style action lightening?? Sadly I sold this rifle but sure liked it and I agree if anyone can do a great job its Karl!!

Reactions: B23

Wapiti1

WKR
Tikka's are easy to setup in a milling vise so, that work would take about an hour plus time to refinish or blend the finish (bead blast). I'd guess it would remove about 1.5-2 ounces.

Upside, easier to load from the top. Downside, very slightly reduced stiffness in the action.

Of course, if I took the time to set it up in the mill for that work, I'd also reshape the top and mill in integral Talley ring bases (because I like them better). But that's just me.

Jeremy

OP
Sadler

Sadler

WKR
Give Karl Kampfeld a call he may be able to do it. Karl does top notch work, has really good prices, the fastest turn around time I've ever seen and is a hell of a nice guy as well. Karl has done a bunch of actions and fluted lots of bolts for me. http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/
Just got off the phone with him. Sounds like he’s willing to give it a shot I just need to swing by and drop off my action.