Minimalistic

I've kept everything pretty minimal, more to budget than anything, but one of the first few podcasts I heard when I was getting into bowhunting was a Kifaru podcast with Aaron where he said to buy tags and not gear.

I bought the essentials, and I've been cutting weight/slowly buying better pieces of equipment but keep to that adage where I make sure to save my money for tags, and always ask, is this piece of gear going to help me hunt or is it just shiny?

Tbh when I see people with loaded truck beds for a hunt, I kind of don't get it. When I hunt, I bring my pack, bow, boots, and a cooler. Idk how they do it with multiple bins of stuff.

I keep on whittling it down, after relocating this winter...some of this stuff has got to go.

I ditched the motor toys- snow machine and ATV. Camper is on the short list. Reloading is interesting, but it's living in a box and will for a while yet. I dumped my trapping gear.

I talked to a guy who only did two things...hunt sheep and fly fish for grayling. All his gear fit in the back of a Subaru. That was strangely appealing to me.

does that include things like fridges and couches? Or just personal items like clothes, toys, computer, guns?

I reckon so. Depends on your thoughts of what you “need”. A guy I work with said he felt that if he could get himself to that amount of stuff that he feels he could pick up and go wherever he wanted. Then if he wanted more, something would have to go.

I keep on whittling it down, after relocating this winter...some of this stuff has got to go.

I ditched the motor toys- snow machine and ATV. Camper is on the short list. Reloading is interesting, but it's living in a box and will for a while yet. I dumped my trapping gear.

I talked to a guy who only did two things...hunt sheep and fly fish for grayling. All his gear fit in the back of a Subaru. That was strangely appealing to me.

You wanna think long and hard about reloading. Trust me.

great conversation.
Well I guess Im on the gear side of the spectrum but I can run minimal as well, I am lucky and blessed (by my design) with a lot of time to play. I have been working hard to arrange my life so I can do what I love much more than work. I hold a full time job but still get 50 plus days in the field. 2 years ago I managed 60 plus days overnight in the hills or on the lake and that doesn't include little day trips for hiking swimming entertainment horseback games etc etc. My wife and I do have a slow play plan to downsize over the next 10 years but adventure gear is not something that will be going. Our plan is to have a shop/barn that is bigger than our home and finish out our days living in 800 sq ft while hitting the hills most of our time and storing our gear in the 7,000 sq ft shop. HAHA
One of my favorite things is to grab some crackers and a beer and a bed roll and just drive up north and plop down wherever feels good. Just lay there in the woods and read and sleep then move on down the road and hit another spot. I can also build a small city of tents and horse corrals and really ham it up for a few weeks as well. I like having the options for anything.

Back